Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Finally getting started

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Finally getting started

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 07:38 PM
jfondren3

Bikes: 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 2021 Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally getting started

Yesterday and today I finally started commuting to work, which is 20 miles round trip. I really enjoyed myself too. Now I just have to save up and get me a rack and bags for the bike and then save up to get an actual road bike that I can commute on. Right now I am commuting on a Cannondale F300, but it works good for me. Now I just have to get used to the many hills that are between me and work.
Old 11-02-07, 04:21 AM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go. I started on a Cannondale SM700 a few years ago and haven't looked back. Take it slow at first and don't burn yourself out. Even 2 or 3 days commuting a week is better than none.
Old 11-02-07, 06:32 AM
Bikingtoteach

Bikes: Fugi Allegro (retired, cracked frame), Sears 3-Speed, Trek 720, Raliegh Technium E-bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup..I really still only do 2-3 days a week, I have been doing 22 round trip since August. I started on an old target mountain bike with smooth tires. I found my current old Fugi Touring Bike at a garage sale for $40. What was not cheap was new tires, handlebar, rack, pedals, shoes, fenders, lighting, clothing, emergency pack, pump, ect....easily over $400 (shoes and clothes came from good will), you probably will not be looking for $3 wool sweaters in Texas! Good luck. I find it to be a great distance, even bad weather seems doable.
Old 11-02-07, 04:25 PM
jfondren3

Bikes: 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 2021 Trek Domane AL2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I am still going to drive probably one day a week due to appointments that I have during the day sometimes. I was mountain biking daily but the guy I used to go with moved to Florida so I decided to just get my biking done by riding to work. It does get cold here in Texas, or at least to me, but I have some pretty good cold weather gear that was issued to me so I will be using that. I do think that I am going to have to look for some different tires eventually because I don't know how well the mountain bike tires are going to hold up on the street.