Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bar ends. Which ones?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bar ends. Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 10:17 AM
fishugly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar ends. Which ones?

I'm just riding for exercise in town and commuting short distances, primarily. The Cane Creek bar ends look like a good design but I'm not convinced I want to pay $50 for them. Are there others of similar design with a smaller price tag? I'm open to all suggestions here. If it matters, I'm using Ergon grips which I'm lovn'!
Old 08-25-11, 10:32 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Singletrack bar ends have a similar shape to the Cane Creeks for cheaper and lighter. I've tried them and they worked well.

Are you using Ergon grips with integrated bar ends? They totally rock on my commuter.
Old 08-25-11, 11:25 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Singletrack bar ends have a similar shape to the Cane Creeks for cheaper and lighter. I've tried them and they worked well.

Are you using Ergon grips with integrated bar ends? They totally rock on my commuter.
No, my Ergons don't have the bar ends. I've been wondering if I shouldn't have splurged and got them instead. Too late now. I will check out the Singletracks. Thanks!

Last edited by fishugly; 08-25-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 11:53 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fishugly
No, my Ergons don't have the bar ends. I've been wondering if I shouldn't have splurged and got them instead. Too late now. I will check out the Singletracks. Thanks!
Check out ebay for cheaper bar ends. That's where I found mine for pennies on the dollar...........

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-25-11, 12:25 PM
mynameistaken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sell the Ergons you have and get an integrated set. They are excellent.
Old 08-25-11, 12:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1 Just got an Ergon GC3 set, the bar end integrated with the grip
is worth replacing what you have.

or better yet, replace the bars with Trekking, figure 8 bend, bars.
Old 08-26-11, 08:24 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. I found some inexpensive ones on Ebay which have the same concept as the Cane Creeks and don't look too bad....but they're made in and shipped from China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bic...item23128a8031

In hindsight, I wish I would have got the Ergons with ends. I'd take a hit on mine if I sold them though....and I have already spent more money on this bike than I wanted to/should have.

As far as the bars, I stumbled across some nice MTN bike riser bars which were mispriced at wholesale and the manager of the shop said he'd sell them at that. Couldn't pass that up. I really like them.
Old 08-26-11, 08:32 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These look ok to me. Just missed a used set on Ebay for $10. https://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=196
Old 08-26-11, 01:05 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I use Ergons. Tried the ones with barends included, and hated them. I do use Cane Creek stabilizers with trimmed down Ergons and love the setup.

Just to remind people that one size does not always fit all.
Old 08-27-11, 10:48 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
I use Ergons. Tried the ones with barends included, and hated them. I do use Cane Creek stabilizers with trimmed down Ergons and love the setup.

Just to remind people that one size does not always fit all.
Thanks. I remember you or someone else saying similar things about the Ergon ends in another thread. What was it about the integrated bar ends that you didn't like? The Cane Creek ends definitely look more natural but I wouldn't really know.
Old 08-27-11, 01:50 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I bought a set of Ergon grips last year. Because I have grip shifters I needed to cut them down a bit. Then I got bar ends this year and cut them down even more. My Ergon grips are now about 4" wide , basically the flared part is all that's left.

Last edited by gecho; 08-27-11 at 01:57 PM. Reason: photo for laughs
Old 08-27-11, 02:00 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I picked up a set of "white carbon" bar ends on eBay, simply because the "white carbon" looked sweet. They're almost identical to the shaped Profile carbons.

The white carbons have some chips missing on the very end, for no seeming good reason; no impacts on that area. But the bodies of the bar ends are still intact. They do the job. Oh -- and even with shipping, they were less than HALF of the Profile's price.
Old 08-27-11, 03:37 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fishugly
Thanks. I remember you or someone else saying similar things about the Ergon ends in another thread. What was it about the integrated bar ends that you didn't like? The Cane Creek ends definitely look more natural but I wouldn't really know.
That was probably me. The built in bar ends were simply uncomfortable. Also, they were shiny plastic, somewhat like the Serfas stabilizers that someone mentioned early. They didn't go well with sweat. They also felt oily. Some people use them and love them. I'm happy for them. I'm just sharing my own personal experience.

My feeling on the more conventional bar ends is that they are probably great for long straight-a-ways. A two minute test ride on someone else's bike left my feeling very insecure about not being able to get on the brakes and shifters immediately. With stablizers, either Cane Creek or Serfas, you can get there instantly.

They did make a dent in the bank account.
Old 08-29-11, 09:12 AM
fishugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-29-11, 08:24 PM
ciao_bella

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ergon GC3's are awesome. They come in two lengths, regular, and for grip-shifters. I have one of each for my two bikes, the regular length on my Jamis Coda, and the "grip-shift" length on my old Trek which has grip-shifters on it.

They also come in two hand sizes, large and small, and the difference between the two is the circumference related to hand grip size.