Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Power intervals: am I completely incompetent?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 06:10 PM
ethan.g75

Bikes: Felt FC 7970, Trek5200 comuterized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started riding with a power meter in June, I was borrowing a powertap from a fellow team member while he was away, and while I was saving up for a stages power meter. While riding with the powertap until mid August, I really was just riding normally, and learning little bits about my self when I got home and looked at the data. Then I got my stages (mid august) and I wanted to start training. I read training and racing with a power meter, did tests, established power and fatigue profiles, and then designed a 7 week training program (the 7th week being testing). I had it all figured out until I went out one day, a week before I planned on starting my "plan" to test out one of the workouts. It was impossible for me to stay in one %FTP range or zone for any of the intervals. I just couldn't figure out how to keep it constant. Maybe it has to do with what numbers I am looking at? Should I be looking at like 10sec aveage power or even 30sec? Do I just need to practice more?
Old 09-14-13, 08:18 PM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
What is the number you are targeting and what is the variation you are getting?
For example, here is me doing a 10 minute interval, aiming for 280W:

Attached Images
Old 09-15-13, 11:55 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
I think it can be quite difficult to do tightly targeted zone training on the road just because of all the variables, be it road surface, grade, wind, traffic and other distractions. If you consider an interval like Mr.Pedro's above, where he's whistling along at about 21mph, in 10mins he's covered roughly 3.5 miles. Depending on where you live, finding a non-variable stretch of road that long can be difficult, and even if you do find it, you've got the uncontrollable variables to deal with, e.g. wind, traffic.

Power training is best done on a stationary for these reasons, I believe.
Old 09-15-13, 02:26 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it takes practice, and it's a lot easier if there is no variation in the terrain. gentle to moderate uphill with steady grade is the easiest to deal with, but can be hard to find depending where you live. ROlling terrain is really tough.

Practice, and just do the best you can. using a 3 or 10 second average can help, along side the current watt reading. You'll get benefit from the training plan even if you can't execute every interval exactly perfectly, so don't get discouraged by the variability.
Old 09-16-13, 12:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
You'll get benefit from the training plan even if you can't execute every interval exactly perfectly, so don't get discouraged by the variability.
Yes, important points.