Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use a single-speed as their main cruiser?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Does anyone use a single-speed as their main cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 12:27 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts

Old 07-03-23, 12:35 PM
NYLowLife

Bikes: Greenspeed GT16; previously, mostly recumbents and track bikes (fixies)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
I don’t know either. Can you send me links?
Old 07-03-23, 12:54 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by NYLowLife

I wrote out the list. Take it to google.
Old 07-03-23, 01:10 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Only thing u can get wrong is the adapter ring.

get the gold looking one
Old 07-03-23, 01:25 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I've done this for a couple of cruisers and it is a worthwhile upgrade. Here is a video that shows you what you need and how to do it yourself if you are so inclined:

BTW: If you change the size of your chainring you will have to adjust the length of your chain accordingly.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 07-03-23 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Make an additional point.
Likes For GeezyRider:
Old 07-03-23, 01:53 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Greezy did you install that exact type of conversion?

before I did mine I was looking reading figuring out if I would use the square taper type in the video of the bmx type that I decided on.

the common opinion was that square tapers are more likely to come loose than the bmx style. Also from what I can see all designs for the integrated stuff is pretty much the same concept. Of having the crank arm wrapped around the shaft instead of attached to the end of it.

I also never had to use a hammer to install them

i put the adapter cups on the stove on low heat. Waited until a drop of my spit would sizzle on the cup and then pulled the bearings out from the freezer and dropped it right in the adapter cups.

then took a torch to the bb she’ll for a bit. Ran inside to pull the adapter cups with bearings installed out from the freezer and dropped them right in the bb she’ll. No hammering for the install.

Last edited by AtNjineer; 07-03-23 at 01:56 PM.
Likes For AtNjineer:
Old 07-03-23, 02:00 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by AtNjineer

It will come along.

I’ll post another thread about it.
Old 07-03-23, 02:03 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts

before I did mine I was looking reading figuring out if I would use the square taper type in the video of the bmx type that I decided on.

the common opinion was that square tapers are more likely to come loose than the bmx style. Also from what I can see all designs for the integrated stuff is pretty much the same concept. Of having the crank arm wrapped around the shaft instead of attached to the end of it.

i put the adapter cups on the stove on low heat. Waited until a drop of my spit would sizzle on the cup and then pulled the bearings out from the freezer and dropped it right in the adapter cups.

then took a torch to the bb she’ll for a bit. Ran inside to pull the adapter cups with bearings installed out from the freezer and dropped them right in the bb she’ll. No hammering for the install.
I did this same conversion with square taper sealed cartridge bottom brackets and they never came loose. I didn't hammer the adapters into place either. I press fit them.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 07-03-23 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-03-23, 02:25 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I did this same conversion with square taper sealed cartridge bottom brackets and they never came loose. I didn't hammer the adapters into place either. I press fit them.
I too have never had a square taper come loose but enough people have to form a consensus.

like i said though the bmx style would be less likely to come loose. As it’s design veers more toward the new designs that you see on the higher end stuff.
Old 07-03-23, 03:09 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

Never mind. You’re done. Looks good.
Old 07-03-23, 03:25 PM
NYLowLife

Only thing u can get wrong is the adapter ring.

get the gold looking one
This one?

B. Gold–.938″ to 19mm–For older “one piece” chainwheels”
Old 07-03-23, 03:31 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Yes correct that one
it’s center/inner diameter is 19mm
and the Sunday cranks are 19mm to match. If you don’t use Sunday cranks it’s fine you just have to match that ring size with whatever shaft size you get.

its purpose is to center your current sprocket with 23.8 center/inner bore to sit plum on the 19mm shaft

Last edited by AtNjineer; 07-03-23 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-03-23, 03:37 PM
NYLowLife

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I've done this for a couple of cruisers and it is a worthwhile upgrade. Here is a video that shows you what you need and how to do it yourself if you are so inclined:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTJ4ZmWmU8

BTW: If you change the size of your chainring you will have to adjust the length of your chain accordingly.
@GeezyRider, thanks for this, very clear. I don’t have the tools or the space to do this, so I’ll show my LBS mechanic.

@AtNjineer, I think get your point about the BMX type bottom brackets. My spare crankset with the oval rings is now on a square taper BB. But I don’t mind changing over if it’s more robust. I hope my guy can help, if not I’ll have to look around. I may ask Mark Stonich (Bikesmith) for tips - he’s been making my cranksets and installing the oval rings for me.
Old 07-03-23, 03:43 PM
NYLowLife

Yes correct that one
it’s center/inner diameter is 19mm
and the Sunday cranks are 19mm to match. If you don’t use Sunday cranks it’s fine you just have to match that ring size with whatever shaft size you get.

its purpose is to center your current sprocket with 23.8 center/inner bore to sit plum on the 19mm shaft
These look good, 155 available …..

Old 07-03-23, 03:47 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

The list of products I shared with you. Is specifically for you to reuse your current steel front sprocket.

if your dead set on using your oval chainring you will skip the adapter ring and use the parts mentioned in the video geezy shared.

but* if your oval chainring is 5 bolt 110bcd then skip the adapter ring and get the spider adapter also made by profile racing

I’ll soon have one myself because I want to put a larger aluminum chainring instead of my current steel 46 tooth
Old 07-03-23, 03:49 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

These look good, 155 available …..

bingo like i said. Only because I have those exact ones in the pictures I shared
Old 07-03-23, 05:31 PM
NYLowLife

The list of products I shared with you. Is specifically for you to reuse your current steel front sprocket.

if your dead set on using your oval chainring you will skip the adapter ring and use the parts mentioned in the video geezy shared.

but* if your oval chainring is 5 bolt 110bcd then skip the adapter ring and get the spider adapter also made by profile racing

I’ll soon have one myself because I want to put a larger aluminum chainring instead of my current steel 46 tooth
My preferred setup is 155mm cranks + oval chainring. But if I had to choose between them, I'd go for the 155mm cranks. I really prefer having the oval ring, but ultimately the short crank is more important. My chainring is 5-bolt 110bcd.

For short cranks, my LBS guy said he could get 6" one-piece (152.4mm) cranks. To keep the gain ratio approx. the same, I'd have to change the Sun's 42T chainring to a 38T or 36T with the one-piece crank. I say this because the short cranks are very important for my knee health. They make more of a difference than the oval ring. I'll talk to my LBS mechanic, show him the video Geezer posted.

ALSO, if I really like this bike's setup -- if I can ride comfortably -- then what I want to do is find a fabricator and get a custom done. Then I'd invest to make sure it has the best BB and chainring options I can find. I've seen some very cool custroms that have just the overall lines, geometry and ergonomics I want. I'm too old and too stiff to fit on a wide variety of seat heights, pedal angles, bar-reach distances, bar heights, etc. Even though I stretch and warm up every day for at least one hour. Luckily for me, there are some pretty cool-ass builds that fit my body's ergo needs....

Thanks for the great info @AtNjineer and @GeezyRider !
Old 07-03-23, 06:01 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

One piece cranks are so slow and inefficient but I’ve learned not to suggest that people preferences are wrong.
Most cranks for 24” cruisers are “6

if it’s true what you said that your chainring assuming you were referring to your oval one is 5 bolt 110bcd

then your good to go just get the spider adapter instead of the adapter ring. Then you can still do the three piece conversion. With the oval ring*

you have your lbs with their ideas
and you have me with the experience
lol

Last edited by AtNjineer; 07-03-23 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For AtNjineer:
Old 07-03-23, 06:04 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

IMO any adjustments to the ratio because of the difference in crank length can be made at the rear cog.

Last edited by AtNjineer; 07-03-23 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-03-23, 06:14 PM
NYLowLife

One piece cranks are so slow and inefficient but I’ve learned not to suggest that people preferences are wrong.
Most cranks for 24” cruisers are “6

if it’s true what you said that your chainring assuming you were referring to your oval one is 5 bolt 110bcd

then your good to go just get the spider adapter instead of the adapter ring. Then you can still do the three piece conversion. With the oval ring*
I couldn't find the "spider adapter" - when I googled it I was sent to the same page with the adapter ring. Of course I don't really even know what these things are so I might have missed it.

Lol, maybe you can meet me at my LBS next weekend! :-)
Likes For NYLowLife:
Old 07-03-23, 06:34 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Not your fault weirdly enough it’s not on the profile racing site

https://www.danscomp.com/profile-rac...xoC_HUQAvD_BwE

bike shops don’t like me and I don’t like them. Their always telling me I can’t/shouldn’t or its not worth me doing what I want to do. Then I still figure it out.

all these products I’m sharing with you are totally new to me as well. I just learned about the spider a few days ago. Happy to have found it too bc it’s perfect for what I plan to do and perfect for what you want to do
Likes For AtNjineer:
Old 07-04-23, 10:14 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
My LBS said they didn’t think a three-piece crankset would work on the BB shell of this bike.
I'm sorry to hear that. You've found an unqualified bike shop, find a co-op and don't go back to the shop.
A bb adapter is deriguour for cruiser conversion applications like yours.
Old 07-05-23, 05:28 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Lol don’t listen to this guy either lol
funny

Old 07-05-23, 06:22 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Lol don’t listen to this guy either lol
funny
Not fluent in english?

I am.

Out of strictness means *you have to*
I am truly sorry your english skills are lacking, they have schools for that.
Get EDUMICATED boy.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 07-05-23 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-11-23, 12:45 AM
NYLowLife

I was having aches and pains from the Sun cruiser's original setup. Amazing that a cruiser-style setup could ever be uncomfortable, but that's these old bones. Just had my 70th birthday this week. The comfort issue was putting my plans for investing in a 3-pc crankset on a back burner. My butt and wrists and knees were hurting - so much so, I was wondering whether I'd have to end up selling this bike. I needed a more "aft" position, a better saddle and higher bars.

So I put on a laid-back seat-post, a Brooks B33 saddle and some ape-hangers. Now, I gotta tell you - it's got the ergos these old bones need. It's a joy to ride! Next will be better looking grips and pedals, and a front brake. I do love simplicity, not crazy about cables. But I ride in a fair amount of NYC traffic before I get to relatively car-free places... After that, I'll return to the crank question.....

Likes For NYLowLife:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.