Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Having trouble finding any info on this bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 08:07 PM
Shane_D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all I'm having a lot of trouble finding out any info on this bike. Trying to find out the make and year. I was told when I bought it it was meant to be from 1940 something. After cleaning it up I have come across a few things. One is on the bottom bracket it has a number 40A stamped in the middle. On the left side stamped vertically it has the number 6163. The back hub is a Eddie coaster. Has a bit of tarnish on it so hard to read anything else but does say made in England. Front hub says brompton and made in England. On the crank lock nut says Walton and brown and made in England. After hours of searching still can't seem to get a definite answer. Any help would be amazing, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (93.9 KB, 116 views)
image.jpg (97.4 KB, 61 views)
image.jpg (97.4 KB, 56 views)
image.jpg (99.4 KB, 59 views)
image.jpg (100.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 02-04-14, 09:37 PM
bici_mania

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome, glad you're here.

Velognome is the first person who comes to mind for this sort of bike.

You may try posting in the C&V What's It Worth subforum even if you are not looking to sell it. I am a dwarf among giants but there many very knowledge folks here.

I am guessing something English, 1960's or earlier.

Close ups of the headbadge if there is one, the bottom bracket and drop outs will be a tremendous help in identifying this bike.

It looks like it has straight lugs, is that correct? Do you know the size of the seat post? Is there any kind of symbols or stamped text on the dynamo generator or head lamp?
Old 02-04-14, 10:25 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bici_mania
Welcome, glad you're here.

Velognome is the first person who comes to mind for this sort of bike.

You may try posting in the C&V What's It Worth subforum even if you are not looking to sell it. I am a dwarf among giants but there many very knowledge folks here.

I am guessing something English, 1960's or earlier.

Close ups of the headbadge if there is one, the bottom bracket and drop outs will be a tremendous help in identifying this bike.

It looks like it has straight lugs, is that correct? Do you know the size of the seat post? Is there any kind of symbols or stamped text on the dynamo generator or head lamp?
Wow that's very informative! Most help I have had so far. You will have to mind my ignorance on something's as I'm new to fixing up bikes. When u say "straight lugs" what do u mean? I'll get some more pics up tonight to help more. There is. I head badge on it at all, no brandings what so ever apart from what I mentioned. The light is miller and co. Not sure on size of seat post, can find out tonight. It's only short though. I don't know if the handle bars are meant for this bike or added after. I know the brake was added later, which I have now removed.
Old 02-05-14, 02:26 AM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a few more pics. Seat post looks like it's about 6/7 inches.
Attached Images
image.jpg (98.1 KB, 37 views)
image.jpg (96.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-05-14, 03:02 AM
capella lugs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a suggestion - if you take the bike outside where there's more light, the photos should come up much clearer and sharper - and able to see the critical details which help identification , more easily . Cheers
Old 02-05-14, 03:12 AM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've inspected it in every type of light. All the details I have mentioned are all that can be seen or readable. Cheers
Old 02-05-14, 04:29 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane_D
I've inspected it in every type of light. All the details I have mentioned are all that can be seen or readable. Cheers
I think capella lugs meant the pictures you have taken ( except for the last 2 ) aren't very helpful because there is no detail as they are dark and fuzzy. If you have the bike in a better lighted setting they would be clearer for us to see the details and help with ID'ing the bike.

Welcome to the forum, it is a interesting looking bike that I am sure we can help with.

Glenn
Old 02-05-14, 04:49 AM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
I think capella lugs meant the pictures you have taken ( except for the last 2 ) aren't very helpful because there is no detail as they are dark and fuzzy. If you have the bike in a better lighted setting they would be clearer for us to see the details and help with ID'ing the bike.

Welcome to the forum, it is a interesting looking bike that I am sure we can help with.

Glenn
I'll take a few more tomorrow in some better light. Got the bike in pieces right now though as been cleaning it up
Old 02-05-14, 12:59 PM
bici_mania

'Straight' lug is my term, for lack of a better term. It is what we see here:

6163 might be a serial number but it could be a reference to the type of steel used to make the bike and I think this is more likely the case. 40A seems more likely to be the serial number but at this point I am just guessing.

By comparison to the common/typical lug which is has one or more points or other shape.

Your crankset may help solve the mystery if you check to see if it matches one of these.

https://hilarystone.com/CCcranksets.html

I don't have a link for this image but it is a Stronglight crankset

Also you may find this interesting, it is a 1930's bicycle with the same design seatpost as you have:

https://blog.brooksengland.com/wps/ta...vintage-bikes/
https://blog.brooksengland.com/wps/wp...6/L1050925.jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
crank1.jpeg (31.4 KB, 6 views)
crank2.jpg (65.0 KB, 224 views)
stronglight.jpg (92.5 KB, 224 views)
straight.jpg (98.1 KB, 223 views)
olmo_0070.jpg (77.9 KB, 224 views)
L1050925.jpg (92.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 02-05-14, 02:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
The BB shell looks like, as well as the rest of the bike, A Raleigh of some type. Remember that movie reel where they showed the shell being pressed from a small tube? The attachement of the seat stays bot top and bottom look Raleighish to me as well.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-05-14, 03:53 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow blown away with the amount of help I'm getting here! Thanks! Yes was told it looked like a raleigh, also told might be a rudge. I looked into both of those. Did find some that looked similar but also a bunch that didn't either. Serial numbers for raleigh don't seem to match anything I have on mine. Just looked up elswick hopper bikes and they look similar too. Thoughts? Here a few more pics taken in better light.
Attached Images
image.jpg (93.7 KB, 49 views)
image.jpg (95.8 KB, 42 views)
image.jpg (93.0 KB, 47 views)
image.jpg (96.8 KB, 40 views)
image.jpg (99.4 KB, 41 views)
image.jpg (99.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-05-14, 05:57 PM
choteau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bottom bracket looks like it has an oiler port, missing the lid. The chainstay ends, the seatstay ends, the BB, the lugs, and the fork crown look like the ones on my old Phillips. The crank has me puzzled tho, looks neo modern. Tim ps my Phillips came with a Sturmey K hub axle nut and an undated AW hub shell, so guessing the vintage is fun!

Last edited by choteau; 02-05-14 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 06:26 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah looked into Phillips too. As with raleigh would find ones that looked similar but then would be something slightly different. I was thinking it maybe is meant to have Phillips handle bars and these were put on at a later date. Couldn't find any records of Phillips serial numbers to see if there was anything close to mine.
Old 02-05-14, 09:56 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was just thinking is there any chance this bike may be older than 1940/50s that I was told? The headset looks very different to any I have seen in the 40/50s age and the serial number sea very low compared to bikes made later.
Old 02-06-14, 07:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The lugs, bottom bracket shell, etc. are all English made, probably Walton and Brown, which was a major supplier of such items in the 30's. The removable seat stays are typical of both track bikes and roadsters of that period. The bike is certainly from the 30's or so. In many ways the frame resembles an Alvin track bike I had until recently, made by Alvin Drysdale of NYC; same lugs, same BB shell, etc. Serial number location was different, though, so it's probably not a Drysdale.

32 spokes in the front wheel, 40 in the rear, this is typical of an English bike. Is that also typical of Australian bikes?

Is there a number stamped anywhere on the fork? I'd expect to find the serial number there somewhere, either the back of the crown or the steerer (and it should match the one on the BB).

I'm guessing your bike was made in Australia from English parts.
Old 02-06-14, 11:33 AM
bici_mania

Originally Posted by rhm
I'm guessing your bike was made in Australia from English parts.
I did a Google Image search for "1930's Australian track bikes" and found this:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...k-Bike-Perhaps

Same lugs; head tube, headset, fork crown, seat stays, seat post and if not the same, very similar crankset, stem and bars. Underneath the orange paint was discovered the same black paint.

I vote for Alvin Drysdale track bike.
Old 02-06-14, 11:51 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
^^Well, like I said, I considered that briefly. That's why I ask about the serial number on the back of the fork crown. But the serial number on the BB is in the wrong location, wrong format, wrong font. It's at a quality level (=price point) similar to the Alvin, but it's not an Alvin; the seat stays and rear dropouts are different. The fork crown is different. There's no reason for a builder to offer two distinctly different frames at the same price point. Bottom line: I don't think it's a Drysdale.

And it's in Australia. There's really no reason a Drysdale bike would have been exported to Australia.
Old 02-06-14, 12:13 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does look remarkably like that bike. Closes one of seen as yet. Almost everything is identical. Only thing is mine came with mud guards which to my knowledge were original to the
Bike.

I'm am not sure about old australian bikes. I have only recently started collecting and fixing up old bikes so all this is new to me and learning as I go. Yes on the crank set it says Walton and brown and made in England. I inspected the forks and could not see any serial
Number on there. Did see a couple of holes on them though which I took a photo of. 2 of them are on the forks just below half way. Not sure what they are for. Pics ain't the best as I just took them a min a go and it's dark here. Also have seen traces of blue paint underneath the black. Is this a typical primer/undercoat or could of originally been blue?
Attached Images
image.jpg (94.2 KB, 10 views)
image.jpg (91.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-06-14, 05:56 PM
choteau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The black paint appears to be pretty sloppy, so YES it was probably blue originally and been painted over! I've been looking for years on a Phillips serial # data base but... no luck.
Old 02-06-14, 07:15 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this on a chat about a alvan drysdale bike. I know they are talking about the saddle but the serial number on my bottom bracket is exactly the same as this..2 digits and a letter. Could this be related?
On the GS RD. If there is a cable adjustment nut, 1953-1959. No adjustment nut, 1960-1963. Open C on the back, 1953-1957. Closed C, 1958-1963.

The lock nuts on the GS hubs will have a date stamp.

+1

There may also be a date stamp on the saddle. It would be on the cantle plate, so underneath the back, probably on the right side. Two digits plus a letter. The digits refer to the year, and the earliest I have seen was 59. I don't know what the letters mean, and I've only ever seen A, B, and C.

That style saddle was introduced in the mid fifties.
Old 02-06-14, 08:13 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Looks like a 30's/40's club racer. Flip those bars around and voila. Those look like Williams cranks so have a good look on the back of the arms and the rings and see if there's a code to fit this chart for a date...https://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...amsdating.html

It's not likely a track bike with mudguards and not as refined either. Reminds me of a Golden Arrow.

I don't see any mention of wheel size...26 X ?
Old 02-06-14, 09:02 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry 28inch wheels. Tyres say Dunlop Australia but are most probably a replacement pair. I'll have a look at the crank again when I get home but all I could see on there last time was Walton and Brown and made in England on the lock ring.
Old 02-08-14, 01:24 PM
ericbaker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The dropouts are not found on any drysdale bike Ive seen, as well the original mudguards on the Alvin are very different from yours.

The lugs look the same because they are common basic uncut builders lugs, like RHM said, probably Walton &Brown, but does not indicate they are from the same maker. Same goes for the "lucky 7" style seatpost and bolted seat stays.

The light setup appears very British and in the 1930-40s style
To my eye, its no later than 40's and quite probably 30s
Old 02-08-14, 04:15 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Can prob safely say from comments on here it's around the 30/40s bracket. It's just finding out who bloody made the thing lol.
Old 02-14-14, 09:03 PM
Shane_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just saw a healing bike that looks exactly like mine! Looked into it a bit more and I'm thinking I might have hit on it. Though I do have all English parts on mine. Would this be something that healing might of done..ie imported in English parts?