Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Slacked off for 3 weeks, but century this weekend?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 08:04 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been training hard for the Hotter'n Hell 100 this summer and my longest ride was 90 miles 3 weeks ago. Since then, however, I've had to taper off quite a bit because school started back (I teach) and the stress from that change had me pretty much wiped for the past 3 weeks. I've only gotten 3 rides in (basically Sundays), and none have been more than 35 mi. My ride this past Sunday, however, was pretty strong and I was able to keep up a higher AVS than usual, even if I was a bit more tired at the end. I'm not particularly concerned that I can't finish the century (and I'm not racer, so I don't have those worries either), but I'm a little concerned that I may have "lost" something in the past 3 weeks that I won't realize until it's too late (especially as an older guy). So, with the Hotter'n Hell looking to be hotter'n hell this weekend, is there anything I should be 'cautious' of (aside from the obvious hydration and fueling)?

Last edited by TXCiclista; 08-24-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 09:02 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TXCiclista
I've been training hard for the Hotter'n Hell 100 this summer and my longest ride was 90 miles 3 weeks ago. Since then, however, I've had to taper off quite a bit because school started back (I teach) and the stress from that change had me pretty much wiped for the past 3 weeks. I've only gotten 3 rides in (basically Sundays), and none have been more than 35 mi. My ride this past Sunday, however, was pretty strong and I was able to keep up a higher AVS than usual, even if I was a bit more tired at the end. I'm not particularly concerned that I can't finish the century (and I'm not racer, so I don't have those worries either), but I'm a little concerned that I may have "lost" something in the past 3 weeks that I won't realize until it's too late (especially as an older guy). So, with the Hotter'n Hell looking to be hotter'n hell this weekend, is there anything I should be 'cautious' of (aside from the obvious hydration and fueling)?
usually top end and above threshold efforts fall off the fastest, but aerobic capacity stays for ~6weeks. Should be fine just try to hold back in the hills a bit. FWIW my first century of the year this year I hadnt done more than 65 miles, a century isn't that hard if you aren't a new cyclist
Old 08-24-18, 09:31 AM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hit it
Old 08-24-18, 09:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by TXCiclista
The main thing you need to worry about is hydration and the sun. No need to worry about hills. Overpasses will be the biggest hill you will face. Also, if you are planning on doing the 100 route, check with race officials about what time Hell's Gate will close tomorrow. You have to get to Hell's Gate before it closes or you will be directed to a shorter route. If it gets really hot early, they will move up the closing time for Hell's Gate. Hell's Gate is at mile 61. The last 25ish miles you will be going against a south wind in the 15-20mph range. Find some riding buddies for conversation. Not much to look at on the route. The scenery there is pretty bland.

https://www.hh100.org/maps/
Old 08-24-18, 10:00 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
From what I've read, you might not even be worse off than if you'd trained right up to the race. Being fresher very well may cancel out, or at least significantly mitigate, 3 weeks off the bike. But you haven't been completely off the bike anyway. The short version - don't worry about it, you'll be fine
Old 08-24-18, 10:07 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
You got this.....I think if you don't go all out you will cruise through it. You know your body and know your limits so like its been stated, HIT IT!

I had a two week vacation last month and was too afraid of dropping some endurance. I have a ride in 3 weeks. Started riding right after vacation and it was all good. You might even find it feels really good having the time off. You probably will surprise yourself, I did.

Hit it!
Old 08-24-18, 10:14 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
a century isn't that hard if you aren't a new cyclist
+1

Don't go out too hard, and you'll be fine.
Old 08-24-18, 11:46 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Too late to do anything about it training wise, or worry about it. The worst thing you can do is try to get in a challenging training ride and not recover in time. Resist the urge to start out to quick, and pay attention to hydration and eating. Like you said, It's not a race. You'll be fine.
Old 08-24-18, 11:50 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sit in, stay out of the wind, eat and drink adequately. I bet you'll be fine.
Old 08-24-18, 11:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
ENJOY THE RIDE if it's not a race and everything will be fine.
Old 08-24-18, 12:13 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
You'll probably feel it in the legs a little, early on after you've been on the bike for about two hours. Don't worry, just click it down a gear and up your cadence. Your legs will come out of it and you'll be fully warmed up

Get off and stretch a little around mile 60.
Old 08-24-18, 05:54 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
And get back with a report for us.
Old 08-24-18, 06:36 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Last year I was much worse off than you. 200 total miles with my longest being 25 before I rode a century. 107 miles at 17-18 mph pace.

it was over 100 degrees, and the last 40 miles were tough cause of the heat. Drink plenty early before it gets too hot and it’s too late.
Old 08-24-18, 06:45 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention....a man with an avatar pic such as the OPs should be able to do pretty much anything. Check out The IT Crowd anyone who hasn't yet seen it. Hysterical.
Old 08-24-18, 08:40 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I’ll definitely report back!

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Oh I forgot to mention....a man with an avatar pic such as the OPs should be able to do pretty much anything. Check out The IT Crowd anyone who hasn't yet seen it. Hysterical.
Overnumerousness!
Old 08-26-18, 03:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Hey, @TXCiclista, how'd you do? Several friends were at HHH this weekend and all but one finished -- she fell and sprained her wrist, but did 45 miles. Most of them didn't really train for the metric and full centuries but they all did well. Everyone said the same thing -- it was hotter and windier than last year's HHH.
Old 08-26-18, 08:08 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

Don't go out too hard, and you'll be fine.
I agree with this advice. I like to go easy for the first half, or even the first two thirds, and then if I'm feeling strong, hammer home.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-26-18, 12:15 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Hey, @TXCiclista, how'd you do? Several friends were at HHH this weekend and all but one finished -- she fell and sprained her wrist, but did 45 miles. Most of them didn't really train for the metric and full centuries but they all did well. Everyone said the same thing -- it was hotter and windier than last year's HHH.
Alas, I didn't finish. There were a whole bunch of things involved, but it basically boiled down to two pretty serious issues. (1) My Wahoo ELEMNT auto-calculated the HR zones wrong. I found a new max a few weeks ago and bumped it up, but the ELEMNT (PSA here!) considers Zone 5 to only be 100%, and calculated all other zones accordingly. As a result, I spent 2.5h in Zone 4, thinking I was in Zone 3 the whole time. While any other day, that might be a good sign of my fitness, 100 miles in 100-degree weather with @*&# wind was not the day. (2) a pretty serious pain cropped up in my lower right hind end around Hell's Gate. I'm old enough (and diabetic enough) to not be too keen on pushing through pain like that, so I decided to just call it a day at 70 miles.

Looking back, however, aside from the disappointment that comes from not hitting my goal, I actually count the weekend as a success. Given my HR graph for the ride, I actually had one of my strongest rides since I started back to riding (16.7mph over the 70 miles, with only about 15-20 of that benefiting from a tailwind), and just being there was an experience in and of itself (the crits were lots of fun). I got over some off my apprehension about going to an event that "serious," and I have a new-found respect for the 'ordeal' that is the HHH. I ended a bit humbled, but with a good training motivator for the next 364 days. I also know I could have finished if I'd had the correct HR zones for pacing myself and if I hadn't had the butt pain. On the other hand, I got Good Husband Points from my wife for listening to my body rather than taking risks, and those are always good to have.

So anyway, perhaps more than you wanted to hear, but it's been an interesting-enough 24 hours that I felt like over-sharing. All told, the HHH was the most impactful ride I've had all year and I'm looking forward to tackling beating it next year.

Last edited by TXCiclista; 08-26-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 07:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
70 miles is respectable, especially in that heat and wind. All my friends who participated this year said the final 25% of the ride was hard, whether they rode the full 100 miles or the shorter routes.

Although I check my BP and HR with a wrist cuff during indoor trainer sessions, I've never used monitors on road rides. I just ride according to how I feel. Usually my average speed is pretty much the same on my familiar routes, but I'm energized after some rides and exhausted after others. Last night I could barely walk inside after my usual 20-30 mile ride. I should have eased back about 5%-10%, but I made the mistake of watching my bike computer rather than paying attention to what my body was trying to tell me.
Old 08-26-18, 09:41 PM
TXCiclista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Although I check my BP and HR with a wrist cuff during indoor trainer sessions, I've never used monitors on road rides. I just ride according to how I feel. Usually my average speed is pretty much the same on my familiar routes, but I'm energized after some rides and exhausted after others. Last night I could barely walk inside after my usual 20-30 mile ride. I should have eased back about 5%-10%, but I made the mistake of watching my bike computer rather than paying attention to what my body was trying to tell me.
I’m hoping for that awareness someday. Because i’ve been off the bike for nearly 15 years, I haven’t developed the sense of my... older body. The whole year has been noticeable improvements in fitness each month, and it’s been hard to gauge what was too much until I hit a wall here or there, so the HRM’s been good to at least give me a number to gauge my effort. Of course, we see how that backfired yesterday! Still, I’m oddly grateful for “mishaps” like this, if for no other reason than that they end up being good sources of feedback from fellow cyclists like yourself and give me new goals to work towards. Now if I could just find that time machine and go tell 30 year-old me not to stop riding...

Thanks again to you (and everyone else) for the advice and encouragement.