Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Poking hole in rim tape to replace spoke?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-03-19, 02:48 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Replacing a spoke today and I’m faced with either poking a hole in the manufacturer’s (good quality) rim tape, or (I assume) taking it all off. As I recall, regardless of the option I choose, when I’m done it’s vital to make sure the holes in the rim are covered to keep the tube from trying to fill the holes and deforming/puncturing. My question is whether I’m remembering correctly that it’s fine to go ahead and just poke a hole and then cover it back up with duct tape. I don’t have rim tape handy and would prefer not to head to the LBS since I need to get this done, true the wheel, replace the cassette and then get out and ride before sunset. On the flip side, if I’m courting disaster, I’d rather know and do it right.
Old 06-03-19, 03:18 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I personally wouldn't try the poking a hole and covering it with duct tape because, before I knew better, I had a torn rubber-band style rim tape that I tried to hold together with duct tape, and, when that didn't work, I tried to put in place and cover with a couple of wraps of duct tape. And then just tried replacing it with duct tape. A few tubes (and the better part of a roll of duct tape) later, I just dropped the couple bucks on a new rim strip. That's just my experience, many years ago, and with a hybrid bike. You might have better luck.
Old 06-03-19, 03:24 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Yes but you can probably get a tire lever under the tape and work it off.
Old 06-03-19, 10:02 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I've never had to touch the tape to replace a spoke. The nipple-yes, the spoke-no. If the new spoke is the same length as the old one, you shouldn't even have to take the wheel off the bike to replace it.
Jon
Old 06-03-19, 10:26 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
I've never had to touch the tape to replace a spoke. The nipple-yes, the spoke-no. If the new spoke is the same length as the old one, you shouldn't even have to take the wheel off the bike to replace it.
Jon
How do u remove the cassette or freewheel if it is a driveside broken spoke without taking the wheel off
Old 06-03-19, 10:39 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Jon
Sorry for leaving out some of the detail. The spoke broke off in the nipple, just below the threads, leaving the threaded part in the nipple. I’m the end, I just cut a whole in the rim tape, replaced spoke and nipple, then put some medical tape (seems a bit tougher than duct tape) over the hole with about 1” overlap on each side to be sure it’s not pressed down into the rim. If i run into issues, I’ll report back. Otherwise, all is well (and I’ve got a nice, clean cassette to boot!).
Old 06-04-19, 12:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
If your rim/tire is tubed, not tubeless, you may be able to peel the rim strip back from its end (usually near the valve hole, replace the spoke and nipple, then press it back down. If not (and again, your rim/tire is tubed, not tubeless), go out and buy the good Velox rim tape appropriate for your rim width. That stuff, stuck on a clean rim will last years and allow you several spoke replacements.

Tubeless rims and tires are a different game I haven't gotten into yet so no advice there.

Ben
Old 06-04-19, 09:55 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Rim plugs are also an option.
Old 06-04-19, 10:31 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Rim tape is cheap, so just replace it. Why risk having to deal with a flat(caused by rim tape failure) while out on a ride?