Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Matte to Glossy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Matte to Glossy

Old 06-23-20, 08:57 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Matte to Glossy

What is the best way to paint a matte finish glossy?
Old 06-24-20, 05:22 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Spray a gloss clear over it.
Old 06-24-20, 06:52 AM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by dsaul
Spray a gloss clear over it.
I thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if it would achieve the desired affect.
Old 06-24-20, 08:03 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
I thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if it would achieve the desired affect.
That's how base/clear paints work. The base color is flat and the clear provides the gloss. I wouldn't try it with a rattlecan clear, because the results will not be great or durable. Best results will be achieved with a catalyzed clear over a properly prepared surface.
Old 06-24-20, 08:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
try car wax and polish that.
Old 06-24-20, 08:34 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
If you try this, make certain that the wax does not contain silicones if you think you might want to paint it later. It is very difficult to remove silicones and you are likely to get fisheye or orange peel defects if you try to paint over silicone-containing paint.
Old 06-24-20, 08:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,790 Times in 2,270 Posts
I'll also add that not all "paint" is agreeable with low cost rattle can stuff. Powder coating is an example of a finish that won't accept enamels. The clear coat will go on and dry but will flake off soon enough. Before adding a different brand/sourcing of paint on top of a preexisting finish do your homework or be willing to end up with a result that is even worse then before you started. Andy
Old 06-24-20, 08:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you try this, make certain that the wax does not contain silicones if you think you might want to paint it later. It is very difficult to remove silicones and you are likely to get fisheye or orange peel defects if you try to paint over silicone-containing paint.
Powder coat an exception, Prep is taking all the original finish off..
Old 06-24-20, 06:43 PM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I would think waxing would give it more sheen, but maybe not enough to look glossy. May try it though.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 06-24-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 06:47 PM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Good info.
Old 06-24-20, 07:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Maybe someone has actually polished a matte bike frame. I haven’t, but I can tell you about polishing ukuleles. I have some ukuleles. I have polished the satin finish tops on a few of them; even used a car buffer on one.

I was able to get a nice gloss, but it was not the same deep gloss as the finish on my guitars and other ukes that have a sprayed gloss finish. They look like a hand rubbed gloss; which is okay for an instrument finish. The areas around the neck and bridge are difficult to polish. The back of the neck actually looks better; those who play will understand, which means maybe after 50 or 100 hours.

I can’t imagine polishing a matte bike finish, especially where the tubes meet, and getting any decent result remotely close to a painted gloss finish. And once you start you can’t go back.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-25-20, 06:05 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
To paint a frame glossy, first clean thoroughly with mineral spirits and clean new rags, or special wipes, made for this purpose. Use 800 grit wet sandpaper or grey extra fine scotch brite to scuff every bit of the surface. Wear nitrile gloves to avoid finger oils getting on the frame. The frame must be very clean and lightly tack ragged to insure no lint on the surface.

Catalyzed gloss clear urethane paint is sold in spray cans. Once the catalyst is introduced, the paint must be used within a limited time. I'd get two cans. Start with fork, to get some practice before moving on to the frame.