Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Can I add dropbars to a 2021 FX Sport Carbon 4

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 09:02 AM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

I would like to replace the straight bars with drops on my 2021 Trek FX Carbon 4. Will the frame geometry allow that -- in other words, is this a reasonable swap?

Would ideally leave the groupset unchanged, and am considering the GRX - Hydraulic Disc Brake - DUAL CONTROL LEVER - 11-speed on the right and the GRX - Hydraulic Disc Brake - DUAL CONTROL LEVER - 2x11-speed on the left so I can change to a 2x gravel setup if I ever want to. Will these components work or are there better quality/performance options? I will probably have my LBS do the swap, as I don't really want to mess with the hydraulic brakes.

If you are not familiar with this bike, here are its details:
Shifter: Shimano RS700, 11 speed
Crank: Shimano GRX RX600, 40T ring, 175mm length
Bottom bracket Shimano BB71, 86.5mm, PressFit
Rear derailleur Shimano GRX RX812, long cage, 42T max cog
Cassette Shimano SLX M7000, 11-42, 11 speed

Last edited by koenbro; 08-26-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-01-20, 10:02 PM
koenbro 

Anyone?
Old 09-01-20, 10:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
No reason why it won't work, the FX doesn't have a stretched top tube that would make it uncomfortable. It is designed for a flat though so you still might need to shorten the stem for a good reach to the hoods. I've tossed a 2x shifter set up on a 1x bike as that's what was available and it works fine. Does it already have hydraulic brakes that you'll attach the new shifters to? From my experience hydraulic sti levers are expensive especially with the brakes and I've made the decision in the past to buy HY/RD or Juin Tech cable actuated hydraulic brakes to go with regular STI levers. Did this for the wife's cross bike as she's accident prone and I don't want the replacement cost of the levers. Should work fine but you probably would have been better served by buying a gravel bike up front.
Old 09-12-20, 08:36 AM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
No reason why it won't work, the FX doesn't have a stretched top tube that would make it uncomfortable. It is designed for a flat though so you still might need to shorten the stem for a good reach to the hoods. I've tossed a 2x shifter set up on a 1x bike as that's what was available and it works fine. Does it already have hydraulic brakes that you'll attach the new shifters to? From my experience hydraulic sti levers are expensive especially with the brakes and I've made the decision in the past to buy HY/RD or Juin Tech cable actuated hydraulic brakes to go with regular STI levers. Did this for the wife's cross bike as she's accident prone and I don't want the replacement cost of the levers. Should work fine but you probably would have been better served by buying a gravel bike up front.
Yes it already has hydraulic brakes. For now, I have decided to hold off with the drops -- largely because the new shifters are expensive -- and just replace the handle bar with a trekking handlebar, hoping to find a comfortable position on it.
Old 09-15-20, 07:07 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
For now, I have decided to hold off with the drops -- largely because the new shifters are expensive -- and just replace the handle bar with a trekking handlebar, hoping to find a comfortable position on it.
You don't have to get GRX brifters. Road brifters are compatible; 105s are cheaper and close enough to ultegra in many regards. The difference between GRX and road brifters is a velvety grippy texture on the levers and the hood has bigger grooves on it.

I'd recommend just buying a proper drop bar bike; this was done BITD when today's access to many options of well produced niche bikes simply did not exist.

But flat bars shouldn't be uncomfortable, many people ride all day on flats. Bars should be trimmed to fit and more sweep can make things better. Stem length and rise should be tuned as well and make a huge difference. As always, strong abs help.
Old 09-15-20, 07:18 PM
koenbro 

Yeah I think trimming the bars is a good start, as they feel way too wide. The abs on the other hand, are harder to acquire...
Old 09-29-20, 12:16 PM
alexdi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Frame's a bit long for the stack, but might work with a short stem and short-reach bars. Best bet is to buy a bike that comes with the parts already installed. Otherwise--

For shifters, the cheapest hydraulic options (excluding shop labor) are RS505 ($250 w/ flat calipers) and RS685 ($275 w/ post calipers). Either lever works with either caliper style.

Another alternative is R7000 ($230 for levers) paired with either a mechanical brake (e.g., TRP Spyre) or a cable-actuated hydraulic. There's a recent import in the latter style that runs about $50 for the pair and has good reviews.
Old 09-30-20, 05:21 PM
Laseranimal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Why not just sell the FX and buy a bike with drop bars? Might wind up being less expensive than the conversion