Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble with Kona Wah Wah flat pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 05:30 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts

Hi. During this morning's ride my left Kona Wah Wah plastic platform flat pedal started squeaking, and it doesn't spin freely, so I tried taking it apart to check the bearings. After finding a large 8mm Allen key I removed the pedal, then removed the end cap, but I couldn't get an 8mm (nor any other size) socket to fit into the recess over the nut. So I wasn't able to remove the spindle. I don't know what I was doing wrong, or if I would need a different, thinner socket. Any ideas? Also, is it normal for bearing in one pedal to go bad after a little over 2,000km? Thanks!
Old 09-02-20, 07:07 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
removed the end cap, but I couldn't get an 8mm (nor any other size) socket to fit into the recess over the nut. So I wasn't able to remove the spindle. I don't know what I was doing wrong, or if I would need a different, thinner socket. Any ideas? Also, is it normal for bearing in one pedal to go bad after a little over 2,000km? Thanks!
Yes, you'll need a thinner socket. I'm not positive but most 1/4" drive sockets should fit. Take it to the local hardware/tool store to find one. 2K km is usually not enough to need lube or new bearings but best to check it out.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-03-20, 02:44 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Yes, you'll need a thinner socket. I'm not positive but most 1/4" drive sockets should fit. Take it to the local hardware/tool store to find one. 2K km is usually not enough to need lube or new bearings but best to check it out.
Thank you. The pedal has now completely seized.
Old 09-03-20, 08:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
Thank you. The pedal has now completely seized.
Get the 1/4” socket, order the $25 rebuild kit, and let is know how it goes.
Likes For Kapusta: