Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First do no harm-cleaning a vintage frame without damaging decals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First do no harm-cleaning a vintage frame without damaging decals

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 02:48 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Removing stubborn tape and unwanted stickers

As an alternative to the solvents suggested above, you may also want to try gentle heating with a hairdryer as some adhesives soften that way.

-Will
Likes For Random Tandem:
Old 09-10-20, 02:49 PM
jackbombay

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Don't take the fixed cup out (on the drive side) unless you are replacing it. We normally leave that in. We stick a rag on our finger and reach in to clean the cup.
My vote is to remove the fixed cup when servicing the BB, fresh grease on the threads now will ensure it comes out easily later if/when it needs to be replaced. I've had some tough ones over the years, but I've never damaged one or failed to get one out.
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 09-10-20, 03:32 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I use Goo Gone that I spray on a cloth and then wipe the bike down with that. I have also used it with a well used, green Scotch-brite pad, very light touch, and it works well. I just did this to a 2002 Lemond Poprad that I traded for. The frame, paint and decals are in very good shape, but there was quite a bit of grime. The result was terrific. Do a small spot in a hidden area first to see what happens. I do not have a before picture, but here is the result. I also used spray wax on a cloth to polish, after the cleaning. I did the above process when I had it stripped down to bare frame, but have done it with a complete bike.

Last edited by delbiker1; 09-10-20 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add more info
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-11-20, 05:56 AM
Rherdegen

Bikes: 50 and 51 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist, 53 Hercules King Coronation Celebration, 55? Automoto roadster, 68 Raleigh Sports, 76 Zebrakenko Wind, 80 Raleigh Tourist, 82 Trek 720, 87 MCycle custom, 90 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for suggestions—and a terrific looking bike!
Old 09-11-20, 08:10 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I use Goof Off to clean spots on an old frame, but never, never ever get any on a decal because it will destroy it for sure. But it's excellent for removing stubborn marks that resist other cleaners like WD-40 or soap. To remove tape I've used Goof Off. When it works, you'll know within a minute of putting the rag with the Goof Off on the tape. If it doesn't work within a minute, it won't work at all. It's only let me down once trying to remove old, reflective tape.
Old 09-11-20, 08:36 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
For reflective tape I have used a torch. The adhesive loosens, then the tape can bubble at a temp well below the temp of paint damage. A piece of wood or a cooking spatula will help aid scrape off the the tape.

I had a Bike that was completely covered with tape. With the torch it all came off really fast, without the heat really slow. The original paint came through unharmed. I sold that bike, the buyer was a really neat guy, he's bough a few things from me.
Old 09-11-20, 09:04 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
As others mentioned dishwashing liquid ( I use Dawn) in lukewarm water staying away from decals as much as possible.
Near BB where there is a lot of grease I find an infant toothbrush works great at helping to dislodge grime without scratching the paint finish
Remember water slides are very delicate.
Best, Ben
Dawn , to me , is the best somewhat non-invasive degreaser I have found. Also great hand cleaner after a day of bike mechanics! Joe
Old 09-11-20, 09:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Don't take the fixed cup out (on the drive side) unless you are replacing it. We normally leave that in. We stick a rag on our finger and reach in to clean the cup.
Shucks , I thought I was the only one who cheated on this! I only remove it if I see something suspicious on the race that needs further inspection or maintenance. Joe
Old 09-11-20, 09:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
There are conflicting pearls of wisdom about whether or not to remove the fixed cup. Each has its merits. I come down on the side of not removing it, but I respect those on the other side.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-11-20, 10:10 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Dawn , to me , is the best somewhat non-invasive degreaser I have found. Also great hand cleaner after a day of bike mechanics! Joe
Kabuki,
Correct, I think that some folks may be unaware of how delicate older water slide decals are, even when new the adhesive was not that great....50 years out, using a lot of hot or warm water can get under the decals and lift them.
Best, Ben
Old 09-11-20, 10:22 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
i used dawn power wash spray on my newly arrived bianchi frame and it worked amazingly well. cleaned up everything and did no harm.
Old 09-11-20, 10:59 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 190 Posts
I use Meguiar's Gold car wash with cold water, and clean gently around the decals. It also smells like synthetic banana, and is yellow, so double the fun and works great. If the paint is really dull, I'll use some polish to bring out the finish, and then buffer it before applying a thin coat of preserving wax. Applying wax is my favourite part.
Old 09-11-20, 02:51 PM
Rherdegen

Bikes: 50 and 51 Raleigh Superbe Sports Tourist, 53 Hercules King Coronation Celebration, 55? Automoto roadster, 68 Raleigh Sports, 76 Zebrakenko Wind, 80 Raleigh Tourist, 82 Trek 720, 87 MCycle custom, 90 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Again, I appreciate all of the suggestions for removing the unwanted reflective tape on the fenders of my vintage Raleigh. I tried a bunch without making much progress, and finally had success with heading them with a hair dryer (a torch had been suggested, but I worried about underlying and surrounding paint, nearby decals), rher carefully scraping with a small block of wood with a well-defined edge. Followed up with Goo Gone to remove remaining residue. Worked very well! I’m attaching before/after pictures. Keep in mind, however, that the rear fender paint is not great as it is, and the white already was worn and fading. But white paint was protected under the tape so it left whiter patches where there us3d to be red tape. But it is still less conspicuous than the ragged strips of red tape!

Old 09-11-20, 03:16 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Rherdegen
Again, I appreciate all of the suggestions for removing the unwanted reflective tape on the fenders of my vintage Raleigh. I tried a bunch without making much progress, and finally had success with heading them with a hair dryer (a torch had been suggested, but I worried about underlying and surrounding paint, nearby decals), rher carefully scraping with a small block of wood with a well-defined edge. Followed up with Goo Gone to remove remaining residue. Worked very well! I’m attaching before/after pictures. Keep in mind, however, that the rear fender paint is not great as it is, and the white already was worn and fading. But white paint was protected under the tape so it left whiter patches where there us3d to be red tape. But it is still less conspicuous than the ragged strips of red tape!

Good Job, I did not realize you were working on reflective tape, but you got it off...It's now Hammer and Dolly time!
Best, Ben
Old 09-11-20, 05:28 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
I am about to clean a vintage frame with some nice intact decals and some damaged decals and I would not want to damage either in the process of cleaning the frame, what do you suggest?

Generally I use Mr. Bubble toilet cleaning foam and am pleased with the results on my modern bike whose decals are under clear coat, but what will clean and not risk damage to the frame decals on this early 80s era vintage frame?

Thanks for you thoughts and advice as to what has worked for you in cleaning a vintage frame without damage to vintage decals.
Looks like I'm late to this thread. But, I use a very soft sponge with cool water & dishwashing soap for the initial cleaning of my bare frames. After frame dries, I put on latex gloves and apply car wax. Then, rub it off & polish. It's all good.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 09-11-20, 09:30 PM
cv350

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
I recently performed this same task on a Fuji Opus III. The decals have a crackled patina which I didn’t want to disturb.

Similar to others my method was to dampen a soft towel with cool water, and to use a small amount of Dawn liquid dish soap. Being very careful over the decals they were gently cleaned to remove the grime. Then the frame was waxed with Meguiar’s Ultimate paste wax and buffed out.

Likes For cv350:
Old 09-12-20, 07:06 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cv350
I recently performed this same task on a Fuji Opus III. The decals have a crackled patina which I didn’t want to disturb.

Similar to others my method was to dampen a soft towel with cool water, and to use a small amount of Dawn liquid dish soap. Being very careful over the decals they were gently cleaned to remove the grime. Then the frame was waxed with Meguiar’s Ultimate paste wax and buffed out.

Those decals are just beautiful! Much nicer than shiny replacements (and even better than when they were new, if you ask me). Nice work!

-Will
Likes For Random Tandem:
Old 05-09-21, 11:29 AM
stassy

Bikes: 1988 Miyata 615, Phoenix Buzzard

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reviving this thread for the sake of my newly-acquired '88 Miyata 615 - is there a way to clean the frame that can preserve the paint, but potentially get rid of what looks like white paint from some kind of scrape? It looks like maybe the top tube was scraped against something hard that was painted white and now the dark red/burgundy frame has some of that paint on it - I'll try dish soap first because the frame needs a clean-up anyway, but not sure that'll take care of it. Unfortunately whatever happened ripped up the "615" decal a little bit too, so I'll need to be extra careful around that.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-09-21, 12:38 PM
cv350

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts
I try the most gentle method first. Usually a soft rag with water, then with a small amount of dish soap, then a gentle general purpose cleaner.

Other successes have been achieved with a paste made of baking soda, water, and dish soap. Baking soda is an effective cleaner and polisher and is gentle.

Stronger cleaners and removers certainly exist, but assess the mark being removed and the material that is being worked on, so as to remove the mark without damaging the surface or
surrounding area.
Old 05-09-21, 01:24 PM
stassy

Bikes: 1988 Miyata 615, Phoenix Buzzard

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cv350
I try the most gentle method first. Usually a soft rag with water, then with a small amount of dish soap, then a gentle general purpose cleaner.

Other successes have been achieved with a paste made of baking soda, water, and dish soap. Baking soda is an effective cleaner and polisher and is gentle.

Stronger cleaners and removers certainly exist, but assess the mark being removed and the material that is being worked on, so as to remove the mark without damaging the surface or
surrounding area.
Thanks, this makes sense!
Old 05-09-21, 03:44 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
I still have my bottle of Spin Doctor bike wash I got from Performance (which no longer exists). Simple Green was originally developed for bicycles from what I heard. I wouldn't use anything else. Dish soap is too harsh for painted anything as it's intended for ceramics.