Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My hands love Dutch handlebars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My hands love Dutch handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 05:38 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
The best thing to do is to have a bike fit do for you. Ask at the local shop if they do it. Most good bike shops should be able to do it. Or know who in the area does it. It will save you a ton of time and pain. By measuring your body they will be able to point you in the right direction. As far as seat height type of seat the position of the seat. The right handle bars width steam length. Lots of small things will lead you to a more easy ride.
Old 09-11-20, 05:54 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 06-06-22, 09:00 AM
reggy88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
IMO a 20d bend is still a MTB bar. Nothing in common with Dutch bars that are 40 to 80d.
Mine are 70d AFAIK and I won't be using anything else. For 20 years I had straight and 10d bars and SUFFERED horribly.
How did you know 70d was the right fit for you and no let's say 45d? How do you judge this?

I want an upright cruise/comfort position on my bicycle.
Old 06-06-22, 09:33 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I grew up with swept comfort bars that came on most bikes until the 1980s, if they weren't drops.
The handle bar I had with my dad's old Rudge SS bike is now on my 1973 CCM, it is 80d and 3 1/4" rise. I also better measured my other 2 old bars, they are 75d.
Last year I got a new roadster, it had 60d. After a while I decided I didn't like it or what it's made of.
You can just hold you hands in the air to mimic their position with various angles. Less than 60d, your palms will be pointing down. Go to a bike shop with Linus type bikes and take a test ride. You will need a long top tube bike for these. Even so, I still have some knee overlap with sharp turns.
The thing with a 75d bar is you also have easy reach adjustment positions. I often have only my right hand ahead on the bend, that just doesn't work with drops. MTB bars have ZERO of this, why they are so horrible on the highway.
What makes hands go numb is pressure over the carpal tunnel. The outside corner is where your weight should rest on.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-06-22 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-06-22, 09:51 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Having experimented recently with drop bars, trekking bars (of a sort) and upright bars (Albatross shape), one observation I have is a caution for those who still ride at speed regarding braking with the swept bars.

When you brake on the swept back bars, your hands are not pushed into the bar, as is the case with drop bars and (relatively) straight bars. Instead, you have to rely on hand strength to keep your hands in braking position. Not at issue at lower speeds.

OTOH, when you are going fast downhill with curves and bumps and all the other things that actually happen in riding, there is a safety factor to a braking position that resists your momentum as the bike slows. Moustache bars can offer similar hand positions while leaving the braking in a well-supported position for faster riding.

Otto
That is a very valid point, as I'm discovering right now. I'm setting up my '89 Trek 970 (rigid MTB frame) with Albatross bars and have been experimenting with brake lever position. I definitely think my levers are going to end up in a more forward position, more toward the bend, for better control under hard braking. Your weight shifts forward and with the levers further back I felt like I was struggling to maintain control. Like you said, not a big deal for tooling around the neighborhood but it didn't feel right to me. I like my brake levers to be where I have the most steering control if I have to brake hard.
Old 06-06-22, 10:18 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The reason I dislike most of the "Dutch style" of handlebars is the width, too wide. I have been experimenting with some bars, the one of this style I like best, so far, is the Velo-Orange Porteur bar. They work really well for me with the more relaxed positioning and plenty of ways to change one's hand position. Low price is a bonus.
Old 06-09-22, 06:59 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I just finished my own setup. This is an '89 Trek 970 (rigid MTB frame) that I has had straight bars, dirt drops, butterfly bars, drop bars, and now these Soma Oxfords which are a clone of the Nitto Albatross. These are the keepers for sure.

I really wanted to maintain maximum control under hard braking, and after riding around with an Allen wrench trying different positions and tweaking the brake lever position, this is where I ended up. Under maximum braking my weight presses into the handlebars and I have excellent grip and control, maybe even a little better than straight bars because of the more natural wrist position. Two-finger braking works very well. I'm loving this setup so far. It's a lot of fun being able to sit in an upright beach cruiser position with your hands all the way back, complete with tiller steering, but then be able to immediately drop forward and ride it as a mountain bike, if the going gets rough. And in between is great for climbing. The color turned out not to match my brown leather saddle very well and it looks kind of cheesy, but maybe after it gets a little dirty it will be better.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 06-09-22 at 07:04 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-09-22, 11:31 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I would like to try the Albastache bars, but I need a second job to afford them. Rivendale Abastache Handlebars

I like the way Russ has them set up with the brake levers on the flatter, more rearward part of the handlebars.

Old 06-10-22, 01:42 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by gios
He could have outran the airplane if he had drop bars.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 06-10-22, 09:53 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Ergotec has a whole selection:

https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/l...ng-lenker.html
Old 06-11-22, 06:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by reggy88
How did you know 70d was the right fit for you and no let's say 45d? How do you judge this?

I want an upright cruise/comfort position on my bicycle.
The only way to figure it out is to try different bars. Like saddles, what's comfortable for me (V-O Tourist Bar) may not be comfortable for you. It can get expensive, but you can sell whatever doesn't work. HTH.
Old 06-13-22, 08:56 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
The reason I dislike most of the "Dutch style" of handlebars is the width, too wide.
My thoughts exactly. My hands get sore from riding regular straight bars (like on mountain bikes) because they are much wider than I like. Angling the ends to provide a more-natural wrist angle probably helps but it doesn't change that the bars are still too wide. But that comes from a lifetime of riding drop bars (and if I'm not dropping the hammer, I am probably riding on the tops which is even narrower). So I am used to narrow.

Remember that guy Cheez who lived in a shed in Indianapolis? Everyone gave him a lot of flack when he narrowed the handlebar on his fancy new mountain bike. Yeah, he probably narrowed it TOO much, but I kept thinking, I might actually like that bike now!
Old 06-21-22, 09:09 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
This is my Giant Quasar. 2 x 7 trigger shifters. Soft black sponge grips. Rides like a dream.

This particular set of handlebars is the most desirable & my most successful upgrade for selling vintage bikes. They're getting much more expensive & harder to find. Last pair I bought cost about $45.

Old 06-21-22, 10:02 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by diggida
Really interested in these, love to see pics of your bikes with these bars!
Here’s mine!
Cross Check with Satori Noirette plus bars.

Old 06-21-22, 11:42 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillimo
Here’s mine!
Cross Check with Satori Noirette plus bars.

How about you putting that bar on a bike 2 sizes BIGGER??
Old 06-22-22, 07:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Different bars for different riding, IMO. Everything has its place.

I find highly swept bars more comfortable for casual / utility riding in a more urban environment (like what most people in the world actually do with their bikes).

But also backsweep is related to width. The wider the bar, the more back-sweep seems to make sense. For me.

However, I hate them for mountain biking. Its about control. I ride with my elbows bent and out a bit which turns my wrists out. My favorite bars are 7deg backsweep, 5deg upsweep.

But these are not great for cranking out a bunch of road miles (paved or otherwise).
Old 06-22-22, 07:58 AM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Nah, I’m good. Surly’s tend to have short head tubes. You see a lot of spacers on them. Fits me well, is all day comfortable for roads or trails….
Old 06-22-22, 08:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Because then the bike would be too big for him.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-22-22, 12:52 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
For me, the key trade-off is that the swept bar gives a very comfortable and stable riding position with hands back around the steering axis but you lose the excellent bar top climbing position that drop bars offer (and of course the very useful drops positions for hard efforts and aerodynamic stance).

Contrary to what some online reviewers have said, I don’t find the swept bars as good for seated climbs with hard pedal force as the bar top position.

At the moment, my road bike is again sporting drop bars while the MTB is currently set up with what is typically called a “horn bar” these days. It’s the Scott AT-3. In effect it’s about like the top, ramp and hood positions of drop bars, but no drops (and wider, being about 54 cm).

But going back to the swept bars for the MTB is not out of the question.

Otto