Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New pedals for mountain/hybrid

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-08-20, 10:28 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

I recently bought off Craigslist a mid-90s Rocky Mountain Sherpa, and I'm not sure what to call this bike, a mountain bike or a hybrid? It's a hard tale, no suspension and I ride mostly on pavement but do plan to take it on some gravel roads. I do not plan to do any serious mountain biking with it. No single track stuff. I have set it up so that for me it rides well except the peddles. What came with the bike when I got it were some small, kind of ratty, metal paddles. They may have been what came on the bike, but I am not sure and it doesn't really matter. One question I have is for this type of riding that I do and plan on doing, do I want to get toe clips? I have them for an old road bike and really like using them. (I don't want clipless peddles as I like wearing my regular walk around shoes), I don't want to have to get special shoes for riding. I see a lots of wide mountain bike peddles for sale and think they look cool but looking cool and working good is another question. any recommendations?
Old 09-09-20, 04:39 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by royphotog
I recently bought off Craigslist a mid-90s Rocky Mountain Sherpa, and I'm not sure what to call this bike, a mountain bike or a hybrid? It's a hard tale, no suspension and I ride mostly on pavement but do plan to take it on some gravel roads. I do not plan to do any serious mountain biking with it. No single track stuff. I have set it up so that for me it rides well except the peddles. What came with the bike when I got it were some small, kind of ratty, metal paddles. They may have been what came on the bike, but I am not sure and it doesn't really matter. One question I have is for this type of riding that I do and plan on doing, do I want to get toe clips? I have them for an old road bike and really like using them. (I don't want clipless peddles as I like wearing my regular walk around shoes), I don't want to have to get special shoes for riding. I see a lots of wide mountain bike peddles for sale and think they look cool but looking cool and working good is another question. any recommendations?
Look at the MKS Sylvan.
Old 09-09-20, 07:02 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
They are spelled pedals not peddles.

I'd just get some flats that you can ride with any shoes. If you can get them in these weird times.
Old 09-09-20, 07:10 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
I thought it was a tale about peddlers.
Old 09-09-20, 08:29 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
nice petals dude
Old 09-09-20, 08:36 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Look at the MKS Sylvan.
Good pedals that can be used with or without toe clips. My spouse uses them with half clips/mini clips.
Old 09-09-20, 08:37 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord

I'd just get some flats that you can ride with any shoes. If you can get them in these weird times.
Nor are they "paddles".
Old 09-09-20, 08:39 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I thought it was a tale about peddlers.
Like in "peddling crack"?

Old 09-09-20, 08:42 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Looking at images of 90’s Sherpas, those were MTBs. But not too different from similar-vintage hybrids.
Old 09-09-20, 08:49 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
You can ride with or without toe clips. Some flat pedals work with clips, and some don’t. If you want to try clips, make sure the pedals have a place to attach the clips.

I personally have put a lot of miles on the cheaper, plastic version of Odyssey Grandstand pedals in recent years. I find them comfortable with ordinary shoes. They are flat only with no way to attach clips.

Otto
Old 09-09-20, 09:20 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Your hard tale indicates that you were peddled a hardtail without adequate pedals.

I like pinned flat pedals, something like Crank Bros Stamp 1
Likes For redcon1:
Old 09-09-20, 09:34 AM
royphotog

Thanks for the replies; I never did catch onto that spelling thing in school. Even with a Grammarly subscription, I still mess it up at times, but it looks like it gave some of you a little smile. I check your suggestions today.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 09-09-20, 09:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I see a lots of wide mountain bike peddles for sale and think they look cool but looking cool and working good is another question. any recommendations?
IMO large platform MTB pedals with pins are fantastic for any style of riding, unless you feel the need to be clipped in (which you stated you do not). The bigger the better. My wife and several friends have put the massive Kona Wha Wha 2 pedals on their road/gravel bikes and love them. I have been running a set of Chromag Synth on mine and I just got a set of larger sized Deity Deftraps to replace them. All of these are composite (nylon-ish), which IMO is a really great option these days. All have replaceable metal pins. These are not cheap plastic pedals you may be used to seeing. All are around the $50 price point.

The really large platforms help make up for less stiff soles of non-cycling specific shoes, and the traction pins provide a ton of grip and let you pedal over the top of the stroke and back across the bottom. They give up nothing to clipless unless you are sprinting hard.

I have not used toe clips in 22 years and if I never do again it will be too soon.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-09-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 09:49 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by redcon1
Your hard tale indicates that you were peddled a hardtail without adequate pedals.

I like pinned flat pedals, something like Crank Bros Stamp 1
Ah, nice wordplay. I was peddled a bike with old pedals, along with a couple of broken spokes and one worn chainring. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it, having not bought a bike since 1979, but that Rocky Mountain taught me a lot and it's a fun bike to ride. I was kind of leaning toward pedals like the Crank Bros.
Old 09-09-20, 10:17 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
For a budget upgrade, I like the plastic-bodied BMX pedals like the Animal 'Hamilton' or Odyssey 'Twisted'
Light-ish, decent grip, and serviceable bearings. You can find them all day long for $20, sometimes as low as $10, if you don't mind funky colors, although the plain black are good if you're trying to keep the bike low-key.

Old 09-09-20, 10:49 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
For a budget upgrade, I like the plastic-bodied BMX pedals like the Animal 'Hamilton' or Odyssey 'Twisted'
Light-ish, decent grip, and serviceable bearings. You can find them all day long for $20, sometimes as low as $10, if you don't mind funky colors, although the plain black are good if you're trying to keep the bike low-key.

I like these, thanks for the info. The prices are right and I like the plastic grips instead of the one with screws. Keep reading about people getting cut with the metal screws.
Old 09-09-20, 11:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
looking for someone who peddles pedals I suppose...

the ones using tiny grub screws for traction pins, in aluminum , you can screw the grub screws in to where they don't stick up at all

molded in pins can be filed off, but the screws can be raised, again, if the feet feel slippery, when wet for example..

Plastic pedals & pegs are mandatory to use the BMX bikes in the town's skateboard bowl to do tricks there ..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-09-20, 11:12 AM
royphotog

Originally Posted by fietsbob
looking for someone who peddles pedals I suppose...

the ones using tiny grub screws for traction pins, in aluminum , you can screw the grub screws in to where they don't stick up at all

molded in pins can be filed off, but the screws can be raised, again, if the feet feel slippery, when wet for example..

Plastic pedals & pegs are mandatory to use the BMX bikes in the town's skateboard bowl to do tricks there ..

yes, I found a pedal peddler on eBay and just ordered a set of the Odyssey Twisted. Thanks for the info, they were only about $23 delivered so if I don't like them I not out much.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 09-09-20, 07:11 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
On my touring bike, I had some wide platform pedals with pins from Nashbar that I rode for about 8 years, until I replaced them with clipless pedals last week. Nashbar doesn't make them anymore, but this is similar (although it has fewer pins):

https://www.nashbar.com/wellgo-b087-...b1-b01/p479169

I ran platforms + Hold Fast straps and put thousands of miles on my touring bike while wearing a variety of shoe types. I highly recommend straps over toe clips, since the clips can mar the outside of your shoes or be really uncomfortable with shoes that have soft exteriors.
Old 09-09-20, 09:24 PM
royphotog

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
On my touring bike, I had some wide platform pedals with pins from Nashbar that I rode for about 8 years, until I replaced them with clipless pedals last week. Nashbar doesn't make them anymore, but this is similar (although it has fewer pins):

https://www.nashbar.com/wellgo-b087-...b1-b01/p479169

I ran platforms + Hold Fast straps and put thousands of miles on my touring bike while wearing a variety of shoe types. I highly recommend straps over toe clips, since the clips can mar the outside of your shoes or be really uncomfortable with shoes that have soft exteriors.
I have only used toe-clips with a strap, and I have found that I have one pair of tennis shoes that I need to wear with them as my other pair is too big for them. I am getting back into biking after many years off a bike. I didn't even know the straps existed until a couple of weeks ago when I was watching a Youtube video. I have ordered a set of the Odyssey Twisted peddles that Ironfist653 recommended earlier, looks like I could use straps with them. I'll check them out when I get the pedals. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-11-20, 05:57 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts

XLC Retro pedals. Hard to find but, worth it.
Old 09-11-20, 06:19 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I like Race Face Chesters for this type of application.

Race Face Chester
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 09-11-20, 07:22 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by ramzilla

XLC Retro pedals. Hard to find but, worth it.
I have to ask: in light of all the newer flat pedals with much larger and more supportive platforms ..... what it the appeal of these older style quill pedals? Is it because you can use toe clips with them?
Old 09-12-20, 06:27 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have to ask: in light of all the newer flat pedals with much larger and more supportive platforms ..... what it the appeal of these older style quill pedals? Is it because you can use toe clips with them?
First off, these are called platform pedals. Some old timers may even call them rat trap pedals. Not quill style. Quill style pedals have a curve that tapers to a point. They're very uncomfortable if you have big feet. And, a quill pedal only works in one direction. Quill pedals necessitate the use of toe clips & straps. And, that's why I get rid of them on all my bikes. Platform pedals are what you need if you just want to put on a pair of athletic shoes and go for a ride and, not worry about your feet slipping off the bike.

Fuzzy photo of a "quill" pedal
Old 09-12-20, 07:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by ramzilla
First off, these are called platform pedals. Some old timers may even call them rat trap pedals. Not quill style. Quill style pedals have a curve that tapers to a point. They're very uncomfortable if you have big feet. And, a quill pedal only works in one direction. Quill pedals necessitate the use of toe clips & straps. And, that's why I get rid of them on all my bikes. Platform pedals are what you need if you just want to put on a pair of athletic shoes and go for a ride and, not worry about your feet slipping off the bike.

Fuzzy photo of a "quill" pedal
Call them what you will (Rat trap) but you have not answered my question.

Replace “Quill” with “Rat Trap” and re-read my question.

I am asking about that particular style of flat/platform pedal (Rat Trap) as opposed to many of the newer flat pedal offerings (Race Face Chester, Diety Deftrap,, Kona WhaWha, CB Stamp, Chromag Contact, etc...). These are all much more supportive and at least as grippy with any type of shoe.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-12-20 at 07:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.