Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 01:23 PM
billthecat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a used Raleigh Grand Prix from a local bike guy. It's in pretty nice shape, rides pretty well and, overall, I think I got a decent deal. We are replacing the brake pads with new as the rubber was quite dried out and hardened from age. Otherwise, what upgrades to this bicycle are worthwhile for an occasional rider around town. We're not talking racing here, just basic bike riding ... my normal rides are starting at 5 miles round trip but I plan to expand as I get back into riding.

This one doesn't have the brake extension levers ... I know they are a point of contention among many ... but I think I would have liked having them there if anyone knows where to pick up vintage replacements. Otherwise, what to upgrade: rims? tires?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-20, 01:40 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
If your bike is anything like the one I have(1971) , I would replace the steel wheels with alloy , maybe 700c if you have some adjustment on the brake pads to lower a bit. If it is like mine it has Wienman Centerpull that may be branded Raleigh . Also the handlebars if they are steel . Be careful as the diameter of the bar where it fits with the stem can be different from others. A bike co-op can be a good source for vintage parts. The only thing you will notice as your rides get longer is the weight of the bike , so any steel that can be replaced with alloy is good. Other than that, they are fine riding bikes for a more entry level machine. They are strong and built well , you should get many miles of use out of it. Another consideration is saddle selection . If you are just getting into cycling, a sore fanny is inevitable , but can be reduced by finding the right saddle...for you! It may take some searching but well worth the effort. Start with the saddle parallel to the top tube and go from there . I am hoping you selected a bike that has a center to center seat tube measurement that is about ten inches small than your inseam. Too tall of a bike is not so good as when you come to a stop and dismount there could be man trouble!
Old 09-14-20, 01:54 PM
billthecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is some great information and I thank you for that!

It was also suggested by the guy who sold me the bike that if I really get into riding it, the wheels should be the first upgrade. He's one of those who has a bike shop to fund his bicycling habit, not to get rich and retire young!

It does have the centerpull brakes which I think will be fine after we upgrade the brake pads and make sure they are adjusted properly. I will also take your seat suggestions to heart (or to butt!) ... thanks for that.
Old 09-14-20, 06:10 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

I put an old set of tubular wheels with fat cyclocross tires on my Grand Prix. And some fenders, and a cool Simplex chain guard. The rest is original equipment. Its a great rider.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-14-20, 07:11 PM
billthecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love it!

that chainguard is way cool. are those vintage raleigh fenders or something newer that just fit?
Old 09-14-20, 07:40 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by billthecat
I recently purchased a used Raleigh Grand Prix from a local bike guy. It's in pretty nice shape, rides pretty well and, overall, I think I got a decent deal. We are replacing the brake pads with new as the rubber was quite dried out and hardened from age. Otherwise, what upgrades to this bicycle are worthwhile for an occasional rider around town. We're not talking racing here, just basic bike riding ... my normal rides are starting at 5 miles round trip but I plan to expand as I get back into riding.

This one doesn't have the brake extension levers ... I know they are a point of contention among many ... but I think I would have liked having them there if anyone knows where to pick up vintage replacements. Otherwise, what to upgrade: rims? tires?

Thanks!
Without seeing the bike and not knowing if its been overhaulled, it's very hard to give solid advice. During the lockdown last March, I overhaulled a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix using all of the stock components. The only "upgrades" were Kool-Stop brake pads and Continental Ultra-Sport tires. It rides, shifts and brakes very well...

Old 09-14-20, 07:52 PM
billthecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't do any pictures right now as it's back at the shop for some more "overhaul" ... new tubes, new cables, having new brake pads done now along with adjusting the new cables as the stretched a little bit after riding. otherwise, it's pretty stock but in really good shape.

when i retrieve from the shop tomorrow, i'll happily post some pictures.

i am really enjoying the bicycle though ... thanks for any and all input.
Old 09-15-20, 08:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
I was given my 74 Grand prix from a High School friend, It has been through a series of upgrades and downgrades.
As I got it

First upgrade, some random RD & FD from a Local Co-op, Black cork bar tape

Found a nicer and much lighter crankset.

The way I really like it, Shimano 105 8 speed with 700c wheels

As it is right now as a single speed. Going back to the 8 speed when I get back.

This is a great frame and it makes a nice riding bike.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 09-15-20, 08:38 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by billthecat
can't do any pictures right now as it's back at the shop for some more "overhaul" ... new tubes, new cables, having new brake pads done now along with adjusting the new cables as the stretched a little bit after riding. otherwise, it's pretty stock but in really good shape.

when i retrieve from the shop tomorrow, i'll happily post some pictures.

i am really enjoying the bicycle though ... thanks for any and all input.
They're great bikes, I've owned and overhaulled many 1970's Grand Prix's. Speaking of "overhalling", there is much more to it than what you are having done.

Take a look at the following link, there are several threads attached to it that should give you some idea of what a bike over 40 years old needs...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-rehabbed.html
Old 09-15-20, 08:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I was given my 74 Grand prix from a High School friend, It has been through a series of upgrades and downgrades.
As I got it

First upgrade, some random RD & FD from a Local Co-op, Black cork bar tape

Found a nicer and much lighter crankset.

The way I really like it, Shimano 105 8 speed with 700c wheels

As it is right now as a single speed. Going back to the 8 speed when I get back.

This is a great frame and it makes a nice riding bike.
You keep playing around with it but you haven't corrected the bent fork?
Old 09-15-20, 01:48 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
One of my early rebuilds was a Grand PRix similar to bwilli88 example This may be the bike that drove me buy a decent cotter pin tool