Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

glasses/shades inside helmet strap

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-21-20, 01:55 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts

Why is this an issue? And is it true that in sanctioned racing events (TDF) you can get an infraction for this?

Me personally, my MIPS helmet straps come out about 1-2 inches from the side of my head near the ears…so if I tried to put them on outside of straps they wouldn’t stay there for long…

What am I missing??
Old 09-21-20, 02:20 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Have no idea about UCI rules, but they're guaranteed to save you .01 watt by holding down the straps.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-21-20, 02:24 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
The theory is that for your helmet to work properly, it must first fit properly, and if there is something between your helmet straps and your head, then it is not fit properly.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-21-20, 02:28 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
The theory is that for your helmet to work properly, it must first fit properly, and if there is something between your helmet straps and your head, then it is not fit properly.
some helmets have straps that attach at the outer edge(POC Tectal).

Last edited by noodle soup; 09-21-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:30 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
You might also find an increase in wind noise if your helmet straps are outside your sunglasses - and that can be very annoying. Having the straps up against your head usually eliminates this.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 09-21-20, 02:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My Bolle had the outer-edge attachment like the POC, absolutely no way to get the glasses outside the straps. With my past two Kask helmets the straps are flat against the face-- so glasses on the outside is required.

I wear prescription, so I'd prefer glasses inside the straps. But it don't really bother me that much.
Old 09-21-20, 04:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
It’s Rule 37 of the Veluminati, but I don’t think it really matters go with what is your preference.

edit: citation link https://www.velominati.com/
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-21-20, 04:29 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
thanks guys...pretty much what i figured...

JAG
Old 09-21-20, 09:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
There's a slight increase in wind noise when I shove the glasses ear pieces inside the straps.

In really windy conditions I'll often stick the ear pieces under the straps to keep them in place. Same reason I often wear Breathe Right nose strips or something similar -- keeps the nasal passages open a bit, mostly helps keep the glasses from sliding down.

If I remove the glasses and put them back on, most of the time I'll end up with one ear piece outside the strap and the other inside.

I wear Cat-Ears wind noise doodads on one helmet anyway. It doesn't get much more dorky than that. Nobody notices how I'm wearing my glasses.
Old 09-22-20, 09:20 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Straps on the inside of the sunglass arms is also great for flinging your sunglasses when take off your helmet. Wait... that's a strike against arms in.

I go with one in and one out - in case anyone who cares notices.
Old 09-23-20, 10:23 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I thought it was a safety issue - easier for your glasses to fly away in event of a crash instead of messing up your face. i always put on the glasses first, then the helmet or the glasses don't stay on properly anyway. I don't take them off on climbs because how would I see?
Old 09-23-20, 10:39 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I wear expensive prescription glasses and sunglasses. I would NEVER put them outside the straps and never have. I don't want the helmet knocking my glasses off simply because it got bumped or jarred. For one, the glasses might break and leave me riding home near blind.

The glasses pulling the straps closer? Are those straps really tight enough for the helmet to do its job?

Yes, I did take a bad spill once with too loose helmet straps, the glasses got knocked off and left me with a bunch of blood drawing scrapes on my face. (I also hit the helmet on both sides, quite hard on the side opposite the scrapes, broke or cracked ribs - didn't get them X-rayed but I knew, broke my collarbone and roughly an acre of road rash - both sides. The scrapes from the glasses were incidental.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-24-20, 01:14 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
There is no way I'm putting prescription eyeglasses / sunglasses outside the straps. If they fall and break, well, that's the end of the ride and a call for pickup right there, not to mention the expense and the hassle.

I've had falls where the helmet cracked. Eyeglasses flew off but were fine, helmet did it's job fine. It's not some space tech, it's essentially a styrofoam hat which takes the hit first, it's going to work fine regardless where you keep your glasses, your cycling cap or whatever. If the straps were tight enough glasses couldn't fit beneath them I couldn't bloody well breathe, which isn't quite conductive to cycling.
Old 09-24-20, 04:18 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
There's no way to have your straps against your face for many types of helmets (Specialized, Giro) if your glasses are inside your straps.

My straps are tight enough that they actually bend in the arms of my glasses if I tried that.

I don't understand how your glasses could fall off in either case. The first thing I do when I try on a pair of glasses is bend over and see if they move. It's my first criteria.
Old 09-24-20, 04:20 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Have no idea about UCI rules, but they're guaranteed to save you .01 watt by holding down the straps.
In jest I'm sure, but floppy helmet straps actually cost multiple whole watts. Enough to be significant for those that care about such things.