Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie Bike Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Newbie Bike Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 05:37 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Newbie Bike Help

All, I am working on buying my first road bike. I plan to ride for fitness and give up running for the most part. I live in Italy and it is beautiful to ride here...I got out shopping today. I know fit is the most important thing and this shop will guarantee it or change the bike for a different size. They put me on a machine to get all my measurements. Not sure what it is but again, I am a newbie...They are very highly regarded by both the Italian and American population here. This is what I found.

-Used Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 in red for 1200 Euro. It is less than six months old and is my fit. It looks absolutely new. The shop said the guy traded it because it was a size too small...

- 2018 Émonda ALR 5 for 1250.

- Domane ALR 5 disk Shimano 105 for 1800.00 (they also have a gravel version for 50.00 more. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the tires and a mechanical vs hydro disk brake)

- Domane ALR 4 Tiagra w/disk for 1599.00

- Emonda ALR 5 (no disk) for 1539.00

I rode the bikes and they all fit well, as far as a newbie like me can tell. They don't feel much different but I am not experienced at this...Thoughts? Is Cannondale still decent? I had heard they had moved most of their manufacturing to China. Low level carbon frame vs high end Aluminum? I realize these prices are more than you see in the States right now because of the crap exchange rate but, it is what it is...Used bikes that are not carbon are almost non existent. The Italians love the newest and greatest of everything...Any help or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks, Chris
Old 02-07-18, 08:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If they all fit, and it sounds like you're working with people that will ensure that they do, you'll probably be happy on any of them - something to keep in mind if this thread devolves in to the usual bickering over minutiae.

All of the bikes that you're looking should take some relatively wide wheels (probably ~28 on the Synapse and Edmonda and ~35mm on Domane) which would allow you to run them at pressures that'll provide the bulk of the compliance for comfort over less than ideal roads while still providing good performance in terms of rolling resistance, weight/feel. If you run wider tires as allowed by the Domane models, you'll have some additional off-pavement versatility - having an extra set of wheels so that you can quickly and easily swap between skinny/light slicks and wide/somewhat knobby is great; almost like two bikes in one.

All of them will stop well enough in ideal conditions. Discs will weigh a little more but will function better in poor conditions; the feel of hydraulics is better than that of mechanical and well worth the upgrade, IMO, if you go the disc route. You'll need to decide on the importance of braking performance/feel vs weight in the kind of riding that you intend to do.

105 or better would be my personal preference as it's the entry point for Shimano 11-speed and it gives you more freedom to swap parts out as desired/necessary.
Old 02-07-18, 11:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
To me the manufacturer that made the bike is unimportant. It's whether it's equipped with the stuff I want.

If they all feel good to you, then look at the components. I'd lean toward the bikes with the higher end components. Also look at the gearing. Will the gear ratio get low enough for you to comfortably climb the hills you might ride?
Old 02-07-18, 01:22 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The used Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 is the definite bargain there. They offer a same as new warranty?
Old 02-07-18, 01:44 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
The used Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 is the definite bargain there. They offer a same as new warranty?
They do. I went in tonight to talk about ordering another bike for my wife and he offered me the Cannondale at 100.00 less. I think I am going to get it tomorrow. My wife is going to probably be getting a used Colnago CLX 2.0. He offered that for 900.00 so I am in for 2000.00 total. Seems like a good deal to get us started. Thoughts? We also need shoes...Thoughts on those?

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 02-07-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 02:17 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
They do. I went in tonight to talk about ordering another bike for my wife and he offered me the Cannondale at 100.00 less. I think I am going to get it tomorrow. My wife is going to probably be getting a used Colnago CLX 2.0. He offered that for 900.00 so I am in for 2000.00 total. Seems like a good deal to get us started. Thoughts? We also need shoes...Thoughts on those?
Nice deal on the bikes. As far as shoes go, get a proper fit along with the bike. Shoes have differing effects on the wearer if not fitted properly. The stiff soles really make a difference in pedaling dynamics.
Old 02-07-18, 02:18 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Nice deal on the bikes. As far as shoes go, get a proper fit along with the bike. Shoes have differing effects on the wearer if not fitted properly. The stiff soles really make a difference in pedaling dynamics.
Thanks. I will talk to the folks at the shop. I didn't realize shoes mattered...Anything else I should look out for? Helmets? I hate being a newb at anything...

Last edited by Pizzaiolo Americano; 02-07-18 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Grammatical mess...
Old 02-07-18, 02:35 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My additions to what's already here:

1. Everyone I know who has gotten a carbon synapse loves them, and they are well-reviewed. (not the same with aluminum synapse).

2. All the major makers make frames in Asia now. They are still good.
Old 02-07-18, 02:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
yeah, look out for helmets ... one of those hits you in the head, it could hurt.

Some say helmets are optional. Some ar e members of the Church of Helmet. Go to the Advocacy and Safety page to see the full 300 pages of helmet scripture.

You don't Need cycling shorts but they are recommended. You don't Need lightly padded gloves. You don't need some sort of wicking jersey or t-shirt ......

I strongly suggest a mini-pump, two spare tubes, glueless patches, tire levers and a small seat bag. You don't need to walk home pushing a bike with a flat tire.
Old 02-07-18, 02:56 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah, look out for helmets ... one of those hits you in the head, it could hurt.

Some say helmets are optional. Some ar e members of the Church of Helmet. Go to the Advocacy and Safety page to see the full 300 pages of helmet scripture.

You don't Need cycling shorts but they are recommended. You don't Need lightly padded gloves. You don't need some sort of wicking jersey or t-shirt ......

I strongly suggest a mini-pump, two spare tubes, glueless patches, tire levers and a small seat bag. You don't need to walk home pushing a bike with a flat tire.
I am active duty military so the helmet thing is not really an option...If I got hurt not wearing one, and Italians drive like maniacs..., I would be in a mess. If you were getting set up as a new rider, what of the above stuff would you consider a must? Just the bike repair stuff or the gloves and jersey as well?
Old 02-07-18, 02:58 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by 12strings
My additions to what's already here:

1. Everyone I know who has gotten a carbon synapse loves them, and they are well-reviewed. (not the same with aluminum synapse).

2. All the major makers make frames in Asia now. They are still good.
Thanks. All the reviews on the Carbon Synapse I have seen has been great. I am pretty sold on this unless anyone else has a good reason I am wrong.
Old 02-07-18, 03:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I would definitely get bike shorts and some sort of tech t-shirt or jersey, a helmet and some gloves for your on-ride comfort.

Flat repair kit in a saddle bag.

Floor pump for the garage - pump the tires up before each ride (generally)

You can ride in sneakers and flat pedals for now, no need to go crazy on your purchases...
Old 02-07-18, 03:33 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I am active duty military so the helmet thing is not really an option...If I got hurt not wearing one, and Italians drive like maniacs..., I would be in a mess. If you were getting set up as a new rider, what of the above stuff would you consider a must? Just the bike repair stuff or the gloves and jersey as well?
Are you in Aviano AB? As far as helmets are concerned, just buy one that meet the standards of protection. The prices vary only due to the materials, brand, ventilation, weight.
Old 02-07-18, 04:16 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
the synapse is a great deal -- and it sounds like you got the good hook-up on the colnago as well. Nice dealing.

As for accessories, if you start out with flat pedals, you can just use any old normal tennis shoes (be sure to tuck in any laces so they don't get tangled in the chain/rings.)

In the long run, though, if you plan to get a little more serious, you'll want to focus on obtaining most/all of the following items in various colors, sizes and quality-levels:

--A decent helmet ($75-$300?)
--Road cycling shoes ($50-$500?)
--Pedals and the matching cleats ($35-$500?)
--Repair kit in under-seat bag with everything you'll need to fix a flat (and maybe other minor problems?) on the side of the road (spare tube, CO2 cartridge(s) and inflator head, bike-specific multi-tool, tire boot, extra chain link, tire lever)) ($40-$100)
--Padded cycling shorts (skip the 'shorts' versions and go straight to the Bib shorts (look like 1950's wrestling outfits.) ($60-$350?)
--Padded gloves ($25-$75?)
--Cycling Jersey ($35-$250?)
--Cycling glasses ($15-$500?)

Note that I added the price range of these items in parenthesis. You can find decent versions of all of the above anywhere in those price ranges. Feel free to become obsessed with researching/shopping for any/all of them over the next few months.

Welcome to the club!
Old 02-07-18, 04:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
if you need a helmet .... unless you spend about $180 or more for MIPS protection (which I am not convinced is all that anyway) get one that fits. I think someone told me you have either a Bell head or Gyro head (round or oval, but I forget which is which.) Otherwise, any helmet from a $20 close-out to a $200 space-age-looking aero-wonder is exactly the same safety-wise.

First get at least a spare tube, mini-pump, and levers. Or ride in walking shoes.

DEFINITELY get the tire stuff ... unless you would prefer to ride 20 miles and walk back 20, pushing a bike with the tire jamming int he fork or the rim abrading on the pavement ... and the pedal is guaranteed to bite your calf at least a couple times.

Again, go cheap. You can stuff everything into a sock and tie it under the seat with an old inner tube. Otherwise, i have bought bags online for $10 or $15 and well ... something that simple even the Chinese knock-offs work. Tire levers, $3 to $5 per set. Spare tubes .... a few bucks, but if you ride you will get a flat. Maybe not for a day or a year ... maybe three in a ride. (Hence the $3 glueless patches.)

You should be able to get a cheap mini-pump and a cheap floor pump for $40 for both. I have a close-out Nashbar floor pump with a built-in gauge and well ... I use it several times a week but I only ride several times a week and i don't get a huge number of flats ... six strokes to top up two tires and that pump will last forever.

For the mini pimp be sure it hits the pressure you need. Shop judiciously----they are always introducing new models which are just like the old models but with a different name and paint scheme and a new weird handle shape which doesn't quite fit any human hand.

I have had luck with Blackburn and Topeak .. . I will spend an extra $10 (woah... I mean it, yes, $25 !!! or $35!!! dollars!!!) to get a pump which won't take 13 years to get a tire up to pressure and will get it hard enough not to worry about pinch-flats on the way home.

A wicking T should be $5 or $10. Any poly-blend T ... Hanes or Fruit of the Loom .... the only name-brand gear I wear. I sweat like three people and a cotton shirt is a sticky, dripping weight belt by the time I finish a ride. Any generic "athletic T" should be worlds better. (I wear close-out jerseys, too ... $6-$15. They are just sweaty shirts with weird pockets, after all.)

Shorts are good ... I rode years without them and now always with them (well, Cycling shorts. I don't recommend nude cycling on a daily basis--(except for the ladies.) (and the days where I can make a remark like that are numbered, eh? but that is another forum )) A little padding can help with chafing and I can tell you, a saddle sore is Sore. But I never got one ion the days i didn't wear lined shorts. Go figure.

Last edited by Maelochs; 02-07-18 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 11:25 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Are you in Aviano AB? As far as helmets are concerned, just buy one that meet the standards of protection. The prices vary only due to the materials, brand, ventilation, weight.
I am. I’ll look in to them. Thanks!
Old 02-07-18, 11:31 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by Maelochs
if you need a helmet .... unless you spend about $180 or more for MIPS protection (which I am not convinced is all that anyway) get one that fits. I think someone told me you have either a Bell head or Gyro head (round or oval, but I forget which is which.) Otherwise, any helmet from a $20 close-out to a $200 space-age-looking aero-wonder is exactly the same safety-wise.

First get at least a spare tube, mini-pump, and levers. Or ride in walking shoes.

DEFINITELY get the tire stuff ... unless you would prefer to ride 20 miles and walk back 20, pushing a bike with the tire jamming int he fork or the rim abrading on the pavement ... and the pedal is guaranteed to bite your calf at least a couple times.

Again, go cheap. You can stuff everything into a sock and tie it under the seat with an old inner tube. Otherwise, i have bought bags online for $10 or $15 and well ... something that simple even the Chinese knock-offs work. Tire levers, $3 to $5 per set. Spare tubes .... a few bucks, but if you ride you will get a flat. Maybe not for a day or a year ... maybe three in a ride. (Hence the $3 glueless patches.)

You should be able to get a cheap mini-pump and a cheap floor pump for $40 for both. I have a close-out Nashbar floor pump with a built-in gauge and well ... I use it several times a week but I only ride several times a week and i don't get a huge number of flats ... six strokes to top up two tires and that pump will last forever.

For the mini pimp be sure it hits the pressure you need. Shop judiciously----they are always introducing new models which are just like the old models but with a different name and paint scheme and a new weird handle shape which doesn't quite fit any human hand.

I have had luck with Blackburn and Topeak .. . I will spend an extra $10 (woah... I mean it, yes, $25 !!! or $35!!! dollars!!!) to get a pump which won't take 13 years to get a tire up to pressure and will get it hard enough not to worry about pinch-flats on the way home.

A wicking T should be $5 or $10. Any poly-blend T ... Hanes or Fruit of the Loom .... the only name-brand gear I wear. I sweat like three people and a cotton shirt is a sticky, dripping weight belt by the time I finish a ride. Any generic "athletic T" should be worlds better. (I wear close-out jerseys, too ... $6-$15. They are just sweaty shirts with weird pockets, after all.)

Shorts are good ... I rode years without them and now always with them (well, Cycling shorts. I don't recommend nude cycling on a daily basis--(except for the ladies.) (and the days where I can make a remark like that are numbered, eh? but that is another forum )) A little padding can help with chafing and I can tell you, a saddle sore is Sore. But I never got one ion the days i didn't wear lined shorts. Go figure.
Great info: thanks!
Old 02-10-18, 10:37 AM
dvm2018

Bikes: Giant Revel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the hunt for a road bike...

I am. I’ll look in to them. Thanks!
I'm looking for a road bike, too. From the thread, congratulations are in order for you and your wife. I hope you enjoy your rides. I'm at RAF Mildenhall, and wondering about a bike. I'll post in a separate note, and not piggyback on your thread.

Does the local shop near the base usually have a good selection of road bikes? What gearing is best for the mountains in your area?

Again, congrats!

David
Old 02-10-18, 10:40 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Originally Posted by dvm2018
I'm looking for a road bike, too. From the thread, congratulations are in order for you and your wife. I hope you enjoy your rides. I'm at RAF Mildenhall, and wondering about a bike. I'll post in a separate note, and not piggyback on your thread.

Does the local shop near the base usually have a good selection of road bikes? What gearing is best for the mountains in your area?

Again, congrats!

David
David, I don't mind you piggy backing at all. There are a ton of shops in this area. The problem is that I know nothing about bikes. I am pretty thrilled with what I bought and have the folks on this forum to thank for it. If you ever get over this way, and I highly suggest it..., look me up. I am on the global. Christopher Yarbrough in the 31 LRS on Aviano.
Old 02-11-18, 05:59 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are both great bikes. I have the CLX and love it.
I have to admit your thread intrigued me. I had a vision that Italy was filled with De Rosa, Colnago, Cinelli and etc. you burst that vision until your wife's bike entered the equation😁