Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling jersey review | Are we being ripped off by cycling manufacturers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 10:21 PM
joestrong826

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we being ripped off by cycling manufacturers?

Old 02-20-18, 11:21 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
The consumer has plenty of choices. Some will pay, some won't.
Old 02-21-18, 08:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
If it's really a concern you could go with the popular Walmart wicking Ts https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ts-back-2.html
Old 02-21-18, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Unless you are buying Rapha jerseys, you are being ripped off.
Old 02-21-18, 08:23 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
24 minutes of some guy talking about his opinion of jerseys?

I've no idea who he is or what his message is but notice that he is wearing Castelli shorts.

-Tim-
Old 02-21-18, 10:48 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
That's why they invented Aliexpress...
Old 02-21-18, 10:57 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
What's with the click-bait thread title?

Value is relative.
Old 02-21-18, 01:40 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I just bought some Rapha crap today.
So yeah, I'm probably guilty of over paying for cycling stuff.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-21-18, 02:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
He has a more recent video titled "Quality Cycling Clothing | You get what you pay for," so I guess not.

Not that I bothered watching either video.
Old 02-21-18, 02:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
he is promoting a lower-cost but higher-quality jersey and apparently doesn't want to look like a shill by putting their name in the title.

The deal looks really sweet, and if I didn't have too many jerseys I'd buy a couple.

But I Never pay for a name. That's just me.
Old 02-21-18, 02:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Unless he has some insider knowledge about the specific materials and construction techniques, it's just one guy's opinion that his favorite low priced jersey is good enough for him.

Which I'd agree with. But I wouldn't claim a $20 jersey is the same as a $60 or $100 jersey with a fancier label. Biggest difference I've noticed is in odor -- the better fabrics launder better, without fading, without retaining body odor, and they don't pick up as much body odor in the first place. The cheaper poly fabrics still have some of the flaws that made the first generation of poly athletic wear so nasty decades ago.

I've spent a little extra money on a couple of Pearl Izumi items, although most were closeouts and discounted. Big difference in the materials compared with the lower priced Garneau and no-name jerseys. Some significant differences in construction too.

I have a Pearl Izumi Transfer fabric baselayer that I can wear for a week without washing. Not exaggerating. Washing it more often is a waste of money for most folks. This stuff is better than merino wool. Not cheap. Even on discount for $20 at Nashbar a couple of years ago (usually $25-$30 with most discounters).

Having worn it through several winter rides, including getting unexpectedly soaked without a rain jacket, it's kept me warm. And it's remarkably comfortable as an undershirt in summer to keep perspiration from soaking through and printing on a cotton pullover or button down shirt.

I've tried some cheap $5 wicking fabric tees from the hardware and discount stores. They're nowhere near the quality of the Champion Vapor tees in wicking fabric. Those Champion shirts also stay funk-free for at least a couple of uses between laundering. They wash cleanly and odor free. Not the bargain t-shirts.

I'm wearing one of those "bargain" tees right now. Just pulled it out of the wash -- it still smells funky from the last time I got sweaty in it. I've even used an enzyme pre-treatment spray. Didn't help. Only reason I'm wearing it today is because I'm gonna get sweaty and funky working on my bikes since there's freezing rain outside. I don't care if this shirt gets greasy because it's a piece of crap. But I wouldn't abuse my Champion tees that way as work shirts.

In cycling jerseys, I've cheaped out. I have two low priced Garneau summer weight jerseys made from that familiar laminated mesh fabric used by so many low priced jersey makers. A couple of weeks ago I bought a $20 Koraman long sleeve jersey, just out of curiosity. Very similar fabric to the entry level Garneau jerseys. I'm not talking fishnet, like some high school dude. It's a fine mesh laminated over a tighter weave, still so thin you'd think it's a single layer until you examine the top and bottom layers under a magnifying glass. The bottom layer resembles the fabric used by Champion baselayers, but thinner.

For $15-$25, these aren't bad jerseys. But they pick up body odors quickly and usually need to be laundered after a single wearing. I usually need to pre-soak the jerseys, either handwashing at home in a bucket with Tide or Gain gel flings, or using the extended wash cycle at the laundromat. I'll pre-treat the armpits with an enzyme spray. I wore the Koraman jersey once or twice before washing. It still has the slightest hint of body odor in the armpits, but my sinuses were unusually clear at the moment. And when I washed it I opted for the extended wash and rinse cycle at the laundromat, 33 minutes. Normally allergies would prevent me from noticing such slight odors. I have three cats -- I wouldn't be able to keep them if I was hypersensitive to odors.

I'm betting they all buy their fabrics in bulk from one or two mills. Somewhere around here I have a bookmark for one of the most popular mills for athletic apparel. The mill's website even describes the differences in their fabrics, including odor and wear characteristics. You get what you pay for, and pass it along to consumers, who get what they pay for.

In contrast (I was on a cheap winter jersey roll), I bought one of these Urban Cycling Apparel fleece lined winter jerseys for $12. It's a serious bargain. Totally different fabric. Not as plush as my Nike Dri-Fit hoodie, but close. It's very comfortable in cool to chilly temps, wicks perspiration well and doesn't retain body odor. The fabric has a peculiar but not unpleasant grain-like odor that washes out. Hard to describe unless you've been in a grain mill, silo or food manufacturing industry.

Some customers complained the fabric felt scratchy -- actually it's the seams, not the fabric. Which brings me back to another distinction in cycling apparel: construction quality. Some low priced items are functional but cheaply made, like my Nashbar Lancaster shorts. The stitches weren't locked on the Velcro waistband adjusters, so they raveled quickly. This is a common flaw with most low priced apparel. They'll use good materials and cut corners on assembly, so pretty soon the buttons are falling off, zippers hang in the fabric overflaps, hems come loose, etc.

The Urban Cycling Apparel jersey is remarkably well made. The stitches are doubled and tripled, very secure. But because the prominent seams aren't lined it could feel a bit scratchy or distracting to folks with sensitive skin. That's why good lightweight jackets often have at least lined seams and hems, if not a complete inner liner of comfortable fabric -- but that costs money. I solved the problem by wearing a wicking baselayer under the jersey. Very comfortable, problem solved. So I regard it more as a lightweight jacket than standalone long sleeve jersey. Good enough for getting sweaty in.

Several months ago a fellow complained on the C&V forum about a reproduction merino wool jersey. Apparently it was assembled with plastic monofilament thread which he found uncomfortable. It's also tricky to lockstitch and knot properly, so there's a risk of seams raveling. If I had the budget to spend on a merino wool jersey costing $80-$200, I'd expect the assembly to equal the price. It should at least equal the assembly details of the $12 Urban Cycling Apparel jersey I just got.

And that's why it's difficult to take seriously the video commentator's assertion that a $20 jersey might be equal to a higher priced jersey. There are lots of little things that go into apparel that aren't immediately apparent until you really look and wear it awhile. It just isn't possible to make a $20 jersey equal in every way to a jersey that costs more but is made to a higher standard (not just higher priced because the manufacturer is coasting on its marque's reputation). Corners must be cut somewhere, in material, assembly, labor... somewhere.
Old 02-21-18, 02:22 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the question is "Are we being ripped off by Cycling manufacturers?"...the answer is YES! Doesn't have to be Jerseys. Whether bikes, shoes, wheels, bottle cages, pedals, computers, etc...the answer is always, always, YES!
Old 02-21-18, 02:43 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get MOST of my jersey's at aliexpress for $12.00 each. But I'm a cheap bastard. Don't notice any difference between them and my three of four expensive jerseys I've purchased on closeout from LBS.
Old 02-21-18, 02:44 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by 12strings
If the question is "Are we being ripped off by Cycling manufacturers?"...the answer is YES! Doesn't have to be Jerseys. Whether bikes, shoes, wheels, bottle cages, pedals, computers, etc...the answer is always, always, YES!
I love it when I see stuff like this. If everybody is ripping us off, there should be plenty of room for a conscionable business to swoop in, charge a fair price and either dominate the market or force it to change, right? Got your business plan ready?
Old 02-21-18, 03:18 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
The standard rate for socks is now $15/pair. LOL.
Old 02-21-18, 03:21 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
The standard rate for socks is now $15/pair. LOL.
I went to buy some synthetic bar tape....the going rate was $30 per box. W.T.F.
Old 02-21-18, 03:41 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Nobody can rip you off unless you let them. Lots of good places to buy jerseys at a fair price. Try Nashbar, Voler and Kucharik, to name a few. Also charity rides usually sell off past year's ride jerseys at substantial discount. Ask around.
Old 02-23-18, 05:06 AM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So I was a cheapskate, buying discounted Voler jerseys and was fairly happy with them. The real test was last summer: we had a heatwave, with temperatures over 100F. So one day I went on a VERY challenging ride with a climb, averaging way over 10% and was feeling completely fine. I was wearing Castelli Jersey and it did an amazing job of cooling me down. The next day I went on a flat easy ride, wearing Voler jersey, and it was like wearing a plastic bag. I almost fainted from overheating. I guess you get what you pay for...
Old 02-23-18, 06:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

@canklecat: I have several really cheap jerseys that perform exactly as you describe the good ones. Not only do I not get the polyester stink, I can often wear them two or three times after completely sweating through them and they don't get obnoxiously malodorous when re-heated.

I have some half-price name-brand jerseys which are exactly the same ... which cost two or three times as much as the cheap ones and work exactly the same.

I agree that buying cheap can mean wearing cheap---I try to be careful after having bought some cheap China stuff that was just cheap, not a bargain.

But if this guy says his $40 jersey (even though ti was temporarily on sale for less) is as good as an $80 jersey ... It had better be. After some certain point I odn't believe the added cost brings any added value except to those people who value the name.

There are always new vendors who can buy the same materials, produce quality stuff, don't have marketing overhead or storefronts to support, and need to charge less because they are not known names ... finding them before they get well-known and jack their prices is wonderful. This might be that situation.

One thing I note is that this guy is enthusiastic ... but he also says that he buys almost everything he tests with his own money, he doesn't get freebies so he doesn't need to keep praising everything to keep his income stream healthy.

On a note related to the paragraph above that paragraph ... I am always looking for XXL bibs. I have bought some XXL bibs that might fit XXL children ... but it can be tough to find quality large-sized bibs that don't cost a ton, and even then, not all of them are XXL.

I have had some excellent luck with Pearl Izumi as far as size and quality, but the price is daunting. I have to shop forever to find something that is reasonably priced and also my size.

I stumbled across Funkier on one of the Brit sites. I was afraid to buy, because I had never heard of them and I wasn't interested in buying more ultra-cheap knockoff crap. Then i saw a guy ion a ride, and he said his had held up great for six months so i bought ac couple.

great stuff, very good quality, and a lower price---probably because no one has heard of them, so they can't jack up the price yet. But the quality is there with my favorite PI or Bellwether stuff ... stuff that was half-price and even then cost a quarter more.

Maybe this Spotti stuff is cheap crap and this guy is lying .... but just as possibly, this is a start-up and now is the time to buy the stuff.

I have too many jerseys or I would have bought a couple---I have spent way too much on bikes in general over the past year and have cut back to absolute essentials---you know, if I can justify one of these jerseys, i can justify one of those, and what a great deal on these, and before you know it several hundred dollars have disappeared and I have more stuff i really don't need---so I have turned off the tape except for consumables.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually tried one of these ... but even then, how would I know if that guy was telling the truth ... unless it was you?

if you get one in blue in 2xl or 3xl and don't like it i will buy it from you for half-price (used merchandise after all.) But until I hear about a test that fails .. the guy in the video seemed moderately honest.
Old 02-23-18, 07:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
The fact that I can and do buy discounted bike clothing from mainstream makers at 60-70% off of the original MSRP, while assuming the e-tailers and manufacturers are still making money, does suggest there is a lot of mark-up on clothing.
Examples: purchased Mavic Ksyrium Pro LS jersey for $37 (msrp $130); Castelli Perfetto Convertible jacket for $112, msrp $230, etc..
Old 02-23-18, 08:29 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
@canklecat: I have several really cheap jerseys that perform exactly as you describe the good ones. Not only do I not get the polyester stink, I can often wear them two or three times after completely sweating through them and they don't get obnoxiously malodorous when re-heated.

I have some half-price name-brand jerseys which are exactly the same ... which cost two or three times as much as the cheap ones and work exactly the same.

I agree that buying cheap can mean wearing cheap---I try to be careful after having bought some cheap China stuff that was just cheap, not a bargain.

But if this guy says his $40 jersey (even though ti was temporarily on sale for less) is as good as an $80 jersey ... It had better be. After some certain point I odn't believe the added cost brings any added value except to those people who value the name.

There are always new vendors who can buy the same materials, produce quality stuff, don't have marketing overhead or storefronts to support, and need to charge less because they are not known names ... finding them before they get well-known and jack their prices is wonderful. This might be that situation.

One thing I note is that this guy is enthusiastic ... but he also says that he buys almost everything he tests with his own money, he doesn't get freebies so he doesn't need to keep praising everything to keep his income stream healthy.

On a note related to the paragraph above that paragraph ... I am always looking for XXL bibs. I have bought some XXL bibs that might fit XXL children ... but it can be tough to find quality large-sized bibs that don't cost a ton, and even then, not all of them are XXL.

I have had some excellent luck with Pearl Izumi as far as size and quality, but the price is daunting. I have to shop forever to find something that is reasonably priced and also my size.

I stumbled across Funkier on one of the Brit sites. I was afraid to buy, because I had never heard of them and I wasn't interested in buying more ultra-cheap knockoff crap. Then i saw a guy ion a ride, and he said his had held up great for six months so i bought ac couple.

great stuff, very good quality, and a lower price---probably because no one has heard of them, so they can't jack up the price yet. But the quality is there with my favorite PI or Bellwether stuff ... stuff that was half-price and even then cost a quarter more.

Maybe this Spotti stuff is cheap crap and this guy is lying .... but just as possibly, this is a start-up and now is the time to buy the stuff.

I have too many jerseys or I would have bought a couple---I have spent way too much on bikes in general over the past year and have cut back to absolute essentials---you know, if I can justify one of these jerseys, i can justify one of those, and what a great deal on these, and before you know it several hundred dollars have disappeared and I have more stuff i really don't need---so I have turned off the tape except for consumables.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually tried one of these ... but even then, how would I know if that guy was telling the truth ... unless it was you?

if you get one in blue in 2xl or 3xl and don't like it i will buy it from you for half-price (used merchandise after all.) But until I hear about a test that fails .. the guy in the video seemed moderately honest.
Which brands have you found to be less smelly?

I found Arsuxeo on Amazon for $15, and they're nicely made but retain the smell, unfortunately.
Old 02-23-18, 08:37 AM
Maelochs

Nashbar and ....let me check .... Three different generic versions from Nashbar, one performance tech (all generic, low-buck, closeout jerseys between $7-$10) and on marked "Fuji" with a maker's mark which is almost washed off. Sorry. And one from Pricepoint---house brand ... made in USA, I think under $20 for a long sleeved jersey

I stopped the EBay china stuff because it well ... not to speak ill of the bad .....
Old 02-23-18, 08:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't know what you consider to be "a ton," but Twin Six goes up to 3XL and they're more "American-sized" than most. I wear an L in their Standard (which is their higher-end line, strangely) bibs, and I'm at 36" waist and large-ish in the thighs and posterior.
Old 02-23-18, 09:26 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No one is being forced to pay for an expensive jersey. Premium gasoline, Starbucks, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Lexus automobiles... All have an asking price. If you don't want to pay then don't. Everyone is free to walk away.

My daughter and I spent $13 at Smoothie King yesterday. We didn't get "ripped off" just because it was expensive. The prices were right there on the sign and the exit wasn't blocked. No one forced us.

I could argue that a $150 cycling jersey is a much healthier choice than many of the things people pay for every day. Pick your poison but please don't lecture others about the cost of a cycling jersey if you spend money on alcohol regularly, eat center cut beef 3x/week or pay for cable TV or Netflix.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-23-18 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 09:40 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have a neighbor who used to be into Civil War reenactments. He said they would argue over the authenticity of reproduction buttons. BUTTONS!! I guess cycling is no different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.