Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Power meters for weekend warriors

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 09:27 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Hi. I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are on riding/training with a power meter when you're weekend warrior. So no racing. No time trials. Nothing of the sort. Are they worth the cost and time?

I don't do any racing but I do like to ride and improve my riding ability. I also do century rides and like to ride along at a good clip. I am kind of geeky though and I do like numbers, if only to know how I'm performing on my own. So I've been thinking about investing in a power meter. But I'm wondering if the cost is worth it for what I'll get out of them. Any ideas/thoughts? Thank you.
Old 08-22-18, 09:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You don't have to race to benefit from a power meter. But you have to kind of be a numbers person, or dedicated to training.
Old 08-22-18, 09:39 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Go for it- you'll like it.

The number that I look at most for pacing, performance, relative fitness,

& even whether I think I can hang on a group ride.
Old 08-22-18, 09:41 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have one on all my bikes. On the bike I use them for pacing. I also down load the data into TrainingPeaks. I like the program because it helps me keep my fitness on track for the several big rides I do a year. I can say that It has not been a game changer or anything as equipment goes. I would rather have Di2 before a powermeter. I would put a powermeter before carbon wheels, though. It hasn’t made me faster or stronger, but it is nice to have, kind of like a backup camera in your car.
Old 08-22-18, 09:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Don't race now, haven't raced in the past, will never race in the future. Power meters on both of my bikes. Most days, I use it was a fuel gauge-- I've logged enough rides with the PM to know how far I can go without eating, to know my sustainable rate of kJ/mile. Really the best way to do intervals (IMO) so if you are at all interested in getting faster, or going farther faster, a PM can certainly help with that.

Plus, I enjoy geeking out over the numbers after the rides. Post-ride analysis is a big part of it for me.
Old 08-23-18, 02:46 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
I don't race or even dedicate myself to a training plan but I bought power pedals back in March and it's been one of the best bike investments I've made. Even though I'm not completely competent with the numbers yet.
Old 08-23-18, 04:37 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Hi. I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are on riding/training with a power meter when you're weekend warrior. So no racing. No time trials. Nothing of the sort. Are they worth the cost and time?

I don't do any racing but I do like to ride and improve my riding ability. I also do century rides and like to ride along at a good clip. I am kind of geeky though and I do like numbers, if only to know how I'm performing on my own. So I've been thinking about investing in a power meter. But I'm wondering if the cost is worth it for what I'll get out of them. Any ideas/thoughts? Thank you.
When I saw the first few lines in the preview, I was going to say "only if you want something else to talk about," but now I can't believe you have to ask. A power meter is ALL ABOUT the numbers, so in your case, nothing could be more worthwhile.
Old 08-23-18, 06:03 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yes, if you like numbers you'll love the power meter. If you care about getting faster, it'll help with that as well, and it can be fun to get fitter and faster even if you're not racing.

Depending on how fussy you are about appearances and what you already have, they might not even cost much.
Old 08-23-18, 06:25 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Yes, cause power meters rock.
Old 08-23-18, 06:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
My powertap wheels were cheap, mean I no longer have to fiddle with placement of speed/cadence sensors, and give me extra data when I want to compete against myself on strava (or when I go slower than expected on a segment while I'm pulling my son using the followme tandem I can go back and see if the power is comparable), so I find it to be a fun addition.
Old 08-23-18, 06:46 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
You can find used ones at a very reasonable price. I found 2 PowerTap wheelsets for under 300 bucks each for front and rear wheels. (for my road and CX/Gravel bike) SL+ and newer work fine with Garmin etc that do Ant+
Old 08-23-18, 07:25 AM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I put one on my road bike a few weeks ago and it is very cool
one nice thing is as I start to climb a hill, I glance down and I am putting out 300 watts, I now can downshift a couple rings
and get my watts into a rate that I know I can maintain for the entire climb,

cause I'm old and fat and can't keep up those watts forever
Old 08-23-18, 07:26 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If you have an addictive personality, stay away from a power meter. Once you get on the PM, it's hard to get off. You just keep wanting more and more and too much is never enough.
Old 08-23-18, 07:33 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Do it and before long, you will no longer be a weekend warrior.
Old 08-23-18, 08:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Don't bother.

A power meter is a great tool for measuring effort as part of a larger training program. If you are not going to use the data for training, then it is just an expensive measuring tool. If you want to look at numbers and compare, use speed, HR, cadence, distance...
Old 08-23-18, 09:12 AM
Bathwater

Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're cool if you're a data geek. Definitely helpful if you follow a specific, structured program.

Backcountry has a couple single sided PMs for ~$300 right now.
Old 08-23-18, 10:37 PM
Mark VerMurlen

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you would benefit from a power meter based on your original post. If you're doing any kind of high intensity interval training, HR lags too far behind to be a good indicator of exertion level. The power meter will be the most accurate indicator for your training. Many training programs will want you to output power just above or just below your threshold power level during training and the only way to accurately do that is with a power meter. I agree with others that its also useful for pacing a long distance ride or finding the right power level to climb long hills without running out of gas. I have an inexpensive single side crank based power meter that has worked well for me. If you do the same rides multiple times over the course of a season or even years, you can go back and compare your power output over time to see what improvement you've made.

Mark
Old 08-23-18, 10:42 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I'm a weekend warrior that wants to see improvement. I've been riding a long time (30 years or so), and the power meter is hands down the best training tool I've found.
Old 08-24-18, 10:11 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
go for it...if you got the funds have at it. I have a PowerTap C1 and love it. I don't race, but I do some structured training plans. I sure as heck didn't need it but glad I have it. Its fun, and if your really into numbers with your cycling just for fun even its a great tool, heck toy. I love mine and wouldn't go without one now just because I like having the data. I plan to get one on my gravel bike this year too.

it is an investment but they are getting more reasonable. Mine was on sale for around $350 I think?
Old 08-24-18, 10:15 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Don't bother.

A power meter is a great tool for measuring effort as part of a larger training program. If you are not going to use the data for training, then it is just an expensive measuring tool. If you want to look at numbers and compare, use speed, HR, cadence, distance...
+1, for just riding around its just another expensive speedometer
Old 08-24-18, 10:21 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
It's like guys going to the gym. Even though most guys lift for fun, but they still like to keep track of their personal improvement by keep track of how much they have lifted. Power meters same thing. It's not a must have, but if you're going to cycle long term, then you might as well keep track of your progress. And with prices of single sided left arm power meter falling, they are more affordable now. Having said that, I know plenty of old farts who don't give a rats about their power, similar to old farts in the gym who don't give a rats how much they lift.
Old 08-24-18, 12:11 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Don't bother.

Was going to ask . . . I'm certainly not opposed to more data (I kind of like it), but if you're doing intervals how does a PM tell you you're all out/full gas/on the rivet better than HR or just that barfy kill-me-now feeling?
Old 08-24-18, 12:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'd always recommend one when spending money in the $500 range before anything like fancier bikes or fancy wheelsets.

If you just fart around and like the idea of having a little "nominal power" flag on your Strava, don't get one.

If you're going to be doing intervals at power for given durations while following a specific training plan several times per year..........yes. Buy one. Ignore the pain and finish the damn interval, then do it again. If your HR is in range and your fatigue is fine.......you can finish the interval. Without it people double guess the effort and back off based on RPE. With RPE and heartrate training the different aspects of the RPE change during an interval. You've got HR, breathing, and lactic tolerance. In the last couple minutes of an interval, your HR and breathing aren't ticking up that much, you'll make it. It's the accumulated lactic and your tolerance for it you have to work against. With HR and RPE I feel people back off to maintain that same feeling whereas a power trained person will push force themselves to do it.

When doing a threshold interval of under/overs for like 10min, it takes about half to 2/3 the first set to get my HR up to that "range". Power is instant. If going by HR I'd be overcooking the first set and under doing each subsequent one.

You don't use the meter as much in a race or group ride as you may think in low-level racing. On a climb over 3min or so, sure. But if you can't hold a wheel, bridge, solo, etc.........you won't avoid getting dropped by staring at a power meter or HRM. You better have your eye on following wheels, jumping at breaks, etc.... I'm guessing a pro only looks at the meter during a climb or during a breakaway attempt. They most often look at the computer for reminders to drink or eat or maybe a course profile.

I've used it on group hammer rides to determine if I could hang in a break with people that had much higher racing qualifications than me. If I'm rotating through turns at 300w plus, I don't have too long. Maybe 35min with 3 guys being 12 min total each, then I'm cooked. If I'm taking turns at 240w, I'm good. I can solo that for an hour if necessary.

One thing: be sure to follow other people who train with a meter, not just ride with one. It keeps you honest and humble. Always going to be someone you can follow who is cracking out some epic numbers, even as an amateur nobody.
Old 08-24-18, 12:28 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Was going to ask . . . I'm certainly not opposed to more data (I kind of like it), but if you're doing intervals how does a PM tell you you're all out/full gas/on the rivet better than HR or just that barfy kill-me-now feeling?
HR lags so short intervals will not indicate the correct HR, and most intervals are not meant to be done all out
Old 08-24-18, 12:50 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to the OP. Considering Garmin Vector or PowerTap pedals... any huge advantage to getting two-sided vs. one-sided? e.g. is the estimation close enough to negate the advantage of side-specific readings at the additional cost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.