Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 06-14-20, 10:56 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I'll listen to about any kind of music, at least once. I've been trapped into listening to whatever was on somebody's radio at work. Some heated situations have arisen from that, like one time I took a big pry bar and told a co-worker I was going to smash his radio if he didn't turn it down, or off, or change it. Sometimes that works against me, they find out what gets under my skin and play it every day. A guy at the last job found out I hate Hotel California so he would blast it from time to time and even called my home number and left it on my voicemail. That made me laugh.
Old 06-14-20, 11:06 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'll listen to about any kind of music, at least once. I've been trapped into listening to whatever was on somebody's radio at work. Some heated situations have arisen from that, like one time I took a big pry bar and told a co-worker I was going to smash his radio if he didn't turn it down, or off, or change it. Sometimes that works against me, they find out what gets under my skin and play it every day. A guy at the last job found out I hate Hotel California so he would blast it from time to time and even called my home number and left it on my voicemail. That made me laugh.
I wear one bluetooth earbud at work, so no one hears what I listen to. Usually it's a podcast of some Boston sports radio.

When the doors are closed, and we start to relax a bit, I normally request Tedeschi Trucks Band, and no one ever complains.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-15-20, 04:47 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are they thinking/hoping that transmission will be lower pre-Thanksgiving? Along those lines, are we seeing warm weather lower transmission rates that were hoped for?
Given that since we reopened, Texas broke our record for hospitalizations (and that was before the capacity increase) I wouldn't put much stock in that hope.
Old 06-15-20, 05:21 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Does anyone here listen to music recorded after 1977? SMH.
With all apologies to BillyD and his belief that '70s music is objectively better than all that comes after, this is one of the things that shows the age of the people here. It's not about the objective quality of the music (however you'd define that); it's about the music being nostalgic to your youth. Not for nothing, the exalted '70s music was when the boomers were teens, so it is naturally loved by the largest age cohort.

Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.
Old 06-15-20, 05:35 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10046 Post(s)
Liked 5,035 Times in 2,148 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I always do one New Years Day. The only thing that stops us is snow. Most of my endurance rides that are 4.5 hours are usually around 90 miles, and an extra few wouldn't hurt too bad. Do enough, you can pretty much get on your bike and do 100 miles any time you choose. Once you adapt your body to chew up fat instead of muscle, you can do them on a few bottles of Roctane drink mix.

how does one do this?
Old 06-15-20, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Same, but I did see Hall and Oates on TV once and I was mocking them until my friend pointed out how good they were live.
Just imagine how good they could have been had they had more than three decent songs.

I had an aunt (wife of my mother's brother) named Karen Carpenter. Her family was somehow related to the Carpenters--Karen and Richard. My cousin ended up with a box full of promotional 45s. "She's Gone" was one of them. Liked that song the first time I heard it. "Maneater", on the other hand, makes my skin crawl.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-20, 05:38 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
With all apologies to BillyD and his belief that '70s music is objectively better than all that comes after, this is one of the things that shows the age of the people here. It's not about the objective quality of the music (however you'd define that); it's about the music being nostalgic to your youth. Not for nothing, the exalted '70s music was when the boomers were teens, so it is naturally loved by the largest age cohort.

Even I have started to feel like new music doesn't sound right, a fact which disturbs me greatly.
I used to let it disturb me, but I found peace when I realized it was crap.
Old 06-15-20, 05:39 AM
bampilot06

Looks like rain until friday. Need a beater bike.
Old 06-15-20, 05:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
My first concert was The Mothers of Invention at Pauley Pavilion at UCLA in 1971.
Isley Brothers with Taste of Honey and someone else at the Philadelphia Convention Center in '77 or '78. Ticket in the second level was $7.

In '86 the Allman Brothers played a free, two set show in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia. Amazing. Saw the Dead probably a dozen times, including in '86 at RFK in D.C. with Dylan and Petty. It was humid and in the mid to upper 90s. Another memorable show was The Who in, I think, '89 at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh. It was the tour where they opened with select songs from "Tommy." I was dating a woman in a wheelchair so we got to sit in the press box. The Stones' Voodoo Lounge tour was pretty damn good. My step brother made two of the videos used in the concert as was able to score free tickets when they came to Philly. On the floor of Veterans Stadium (the ball park). Close, but not so close that your suffered hearing loss.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-15-20, 06:05 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10886 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Same, but I did see Hall and Oates on TV once and I was mocking them until my friend pointed out how good they were live.

I saw them live back in the '80s. I have little remembrance of the concert other than John Oates' orange clown pants.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 06-15-20, 06:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yeah, I've had the same thoughts/feelings. There is, of course, plenty of new music that's more traditional in form, but some of the newer stuff is just... wrong.
Old 06-15-20, 06:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

When Fresh Cream came out it blew us away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSiqy9v9FM

Old 06-15-20, 06:24 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
how does one do this?
A big part of it is to do rides fasted (on an empty stomach). I'm sure that LAJ is far better adapted than me, but I've been doing morning rides with little-to-nothing in my stomach for a few years and no longer have a problem doing a metric with anything other than water/nuun/whatever. I think that the basic premise is that you need to moderate your effort and limit your body's access to easy energy stores so that it turns to the fat stores for fuel. I think that, for the best effect, you really need to limit your carb intake, too, but I'm too attached to that stuff to cut it out completely. Maybe one day I'll get serious.
Old 06-15-20, 06:38 AM
bampilot06

A big part of it is to do rides fasted (on an empty stomach). I'm sure that LAJ is far better adapted than me, but I've been doing morning rides with little-to-nothing in my stomach for a few years and no longer have a problem doing a metric with anything other than water/nuun/whatever. I think that the basic premise is that you need to moderate your effort and limit your body's access to easy energy stores so that it turns to the fat stores for fuel. I think that, for the best effect, you really need to limit your carb intake, too, but I'm too attached to that stuff to cut it out completely. Maybe one day I'll get serious.
my wife was born in Naples. Cutting carbs is impossible. lol. When we first started dating I was body building at the time and I wouldn’t eat a carb for 6 months at a time. Let’s just say that didn’t last long once I met her family.

My morning rides are fasted so that’s a start.
Old 06-15-20, 06:42 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I don’t know about riding and fasting but I do know that if I ride a 60+ mile ride every week or two, I require very little fueling during the ride. I drink my share of water but food is pretty sparse.

Old 06-15-20, 06:45 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts
Sure. But we had a request for 1978.
Old 06-15-20, 06:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
My schedule this week is weak.

I had told my office manager last winter to block out this week and next week for vacation to Spain.

I told her to open them up when COVID19 happened, but for various reasons there are still very few patients scheduled.

I am likely going to take the afternoon off today and tomorrow, so at least I can sneak in a ride or some family time.

#PodiumBoundAgain
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-15-20, 06:55 AM
WhyFi

My morning rides are fasted so that’s a start.
Now start working in some longer, easier effort rides. I know that, when ride time is scarce, the inclination is to come back spent using what little time you have, but varying pace and distance is good.
Old 06-15-20, 07:05 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts
When I'm at the bike shop, I listen to whatever the guys are playing. Most of the guys are under 30.
Old 06-15-20, 07:08 AM
bampilot06

Now start working in some longer, easier effort rides. I know that, when ride time is scarce, the inclination is to come back spent using what little time you have, but varying pace and distance is good.

This is going to sound stupid, but I actually have a hard time pacing myself slower when I am alone. And I think it’s because I’m not sure how. I’ve tried keeping my speed slower but at some point it creeps back up and then it’s harder work for me to slow down if that makes sense.
Old 06-15-20, 07:14 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts

This is the hardest part to pull off IMO. The other thing with fasted riding is that it you have to be truly fasted for it to work (no milk/cream in coffee etc.)
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-15-20, 07:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Sure. But we had a request for 1978.
When I hear Al Di Meola, that's the one I think of first because it's awesome.
Old 06-15-20, 07:15 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but I actually have a hard time pacing myself slower when I am alone. And I think it’s because I’m not sure how. I’ve tried keeping my speed slower but at some point it creeps back up and then it’s harder work for me to slow down if that makes sense.
I have the same issue, but I have been trying to use heart rate only instead of speed on easy rides. It's to easy to get focused on speed. When the heart rate goes up, back off a bit.
Likes For mvnsnd:
Old 06-15-20, 07:19 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
give the rest of us a chance.

I want to start ramping up on some longer rides. I'd like to start laying the foundation for a 170+ mile ride that I have in mind (from Minneapolis to Duluth, MN). That's a one-way trip, though, so my wife would have to play along for that to become a reality. Still, I want to prepare as if it's going to happen.

Last week, a guy dropped in with a few of my club mates after crossing paths on the road. A few days ago, that guy did a one-day, out and back to Duluth along the course where our MS150 occurs. (Well, kind of, but not really. He started from Mpls, didn't drop all the way in to Duluth [climbing back out would probably hurt with 160+ miles already in the legs], and then he ended his ride in a small town about 30 miles outside of the Twin Cities. Still, almost 300 miles makes for a long day in the saddle.) Anyway, it good motivation for me and I think that the lock-down has a lot of people thinking about goals that would have seemed silly to themselves not long ago.
Old 06-15-20, 07:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
give the rest of us a chance.

I want to start ramping up on some longer rides. I'd like to start laying the foundation for a 170+ mile ride that I have in mind (from Minneapolis to Duluth, MN). That's a one-way trip, though, so my wife would have to play along for that to become a reality. Still, I want to prepare as if it's going to happen.

Last week, a guy dropped in with a few of my club mates after crossing paths on the road. A few days ago, that guy did a one-day, out and back to Duluth along the course where our MS150 occurs. (Well, kind of, but not really. He started from Mpls, didn't drop all the way in to Duluth [climbing back out would probably hurt with 160+ miles already in the legs], and then he ended his ride in a small town about 30 miles outside of the Twin Cities. Still, almost 300 miles makes for a long day in the saddle.) Anyway, it good motivation for me and I think that the lock-down has a lot of people thinking about goals that would have seemed silly to themselves not long ago.
Would you do the 170+ ride in one day, or would this be a @Velo Vol ride with a long rest stop?? Personally, the longest ride I have ever done was about 120 miles and the last few were painful. My ideal "long" ride these days is 85-90 miles, would consider a century for a special occasion especially if/when group rides are happening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.