Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke lenth for a 27" rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 11:04 AM
SpasticSprocket

Bikes: 2011 Trek 3900, 1985 Cannondale ST-500, 2017 Haro Shift R5, 2018 Specialized Crux E5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 27 X 1/4" 36 hole rim, and I wanted to know how long a spoke I needed, I have a busted spoke and I figured I might as well order in a bunch in case it happens again. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 02-15-13, 11:12 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on the size of the hub - measure one of your existing spokes.
Old 02-15-13, 11:16 AM
SpasticSprocket

Bikes: 2011 Trek 3900, 1985 Cannondale ST-500, 2017 Haro Shift R5, 2018 Specialized Crux E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright I can try that. I thought the hub would probably affect the length I need.
Old 02-15-13, 11:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Spokes are usually measured from the elbow's inside to the end of the threading. A spoke ruler has a hole the elbow will sit in and the point along the scale that the threaded end stops at is the spoke length. this means that for most accurate measurements a good/unbroken spoke should be removed from the wheel, made sure it's straight and then measured. A very good approximation can be done with a good spoke still in the wheel. Elbow inside edge to rim's inside edge and add a couple of MMs to account for the slight bowing of the spoke, the rim's thickness and a little bit of the nipple's head. It's not uncommon for a newbie to miss judge the length doing this and the resulting spoke length might be a bit short as to not fully thread into the nipple (or too long and stick out beyond the nipple's head). BTW the spoke lengths are different on either side of rear wheels, the gear cluster side usually have a length a couple mms less then the LH side does and front wheels won't be the same as rear wheel length wise. When doubt remove a good spoke, from the same side and wheel, and directly measure. If you've never replaced spokes and/or trued wheels before you might pick up a used, tossed out, wheel to practice on. lastly the rear wheel's gear cluster usually needs to be removed, a special tool purchase. If you came into the shop I worked at we'd offer to remove the cluster and measure a spoke for a small labor fee. The cluster's reinstalling won't need any tools if it's a freewheel design. Andy.
Old 02-15-13, 11:46 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Rim diameter (where the spoke nipple beds aka ERD) varies between different brands & models.
Rear DS is typically about 1-2MM shorter than rear NDS, depending on the dish of the wheel. More cogs, usually more dish.
Flange diameter varies from different hubs.
Number of crosses affect the length.
Sometimes, the rear NDS spokes will match the front spokes.

Best to pull off a good spoke and measure. You might actually check how deep the spoke is threaded in the nipple in case the factory length is off a MM.

And as has been said in these forums-
ONE spoke breaking is bad luck. TWO spokes breaking is a trend. You may have reached the end of the life of your spokes, in which case, it may be a better idea to go ahead and replace all of them. Possibly the rim too, depending on the condition of the brake track or you want to get something better than steel rims etc.

Telling us WHAT rims & hubs you have might allow us to give more precise advice.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 02-15-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 11:53 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
302mm
Old 02-15-13, 01:04 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
302mm
I actually built a PAIR of 27" wheels a few weeks ago.
302MM was ONE of the 3 different lengths I used.
Old 02-15-13, 01:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Spoke length is a function of rim diameter, hub diameter, number of spokes, and how many times (if any) they cross other spokes between the hub and the rim:

Source: Sutherland's 4th Edition

Needless to say, these days most people use a spreadsheet or on-line calculator:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spok...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 02-15-13, 07:58 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^

square roots?, exponents? AND trig? geesh.
Old 02-15-13, 09:48 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That is to be expected when dealing with straight spokes connecting a circular hub to a circular rim at compound angles. That's how we did it before computers, online calcuators and spreadsheets. But there's no need for going through all of that now. At the worst you need to measure the ERD and the hub dimensions and plug the results into a spoke length calculator. In the OP's case I don't see the need to even measure. Take it to a shop and buy a few spokes.
Old 02-16-13, 08:52 AM
SpasticSprocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woah, a lot of stuff involved in buying a set of spokes.. I think I'll probably take the advice of bringing it into a shop.
Old 02-16-13, 09:24 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by SpasticSprocket
Woah, a lot of stuff involved in buying a set of spokes.. I think I'll probably take the advice of bringing it into a shop.
I looked up one of the 27" rim charts provided with a spoke length calculator.
ERD varied from 609-622mm.
That in itself means the spoke length could vary by 13/2mm just from possibly different rims. Add in the possible variance between different hub flange diameters and the number of crosses and......

IF you have the actual spoke in hand, you have the best reference.
Old 02-16-13, 01:09 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Spoke length is a function of rim diameter, hub diameter, number of spokes, and how many times (if any) they cross other spokes between the hub and the rim:

Source: Sutherland's 4th Edition

Needless to say, these days most people use a spreadsheet or on-line calculator:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spok...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I was told that there would be no math on this website.....................(Chevy Chase)
Old 02-16-13, 06:26 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Most 27" wheels built using low flanges hubs w/ 36 hole drillings are going to be in the ballpark of:

301-302mm front
299-300mm non-drive rear
297-298mm drive side rear

But you really need to measure the old spokes - especiailly with single wall rims in order to make certain you don't get poke-through that threatens the underside of the tube.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-16-13, 06:59 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpasticSprocket
I would not recommend buying a set of spokes, or even more than a few and then replacing them as they break. Once you break a couple then more are sure to go, and they have a habit of not doing so when you are rolling into your driveway. If you start to break them you will either need to rebuild or get a replacement wheel, depending on budget, quality of what's on there already, and any preferance or need you have for type, width, etc.
Old 02-16-13, 08:53 PM
SpasticSprocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I would not recommend buying a set of spokes, or even more than a few and then replacing them as they break. Once you break a couple then more are sure to go, and they have a habit of not doing so when you are rolling into your driveway. If you start to break them you will either need to rebuild or get a replacement wheel, depending on budget, quality of what's on there already, and any preference or need you have for type, width, etc.
Yeah I put some thought into it and I'm thinking of going with a new wheel entirely, I just wish I could find a Wolber Super Champion Model 58. I can't even find a wheelset of those let alone a single rear wheel.