Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tulsa Tough Classico Classification, Sunday, June 9

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 02:43 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts

https://www.tulsatough.com/the-classico

Tulsa Tough is already a great cycling weekend in Tulsa. It is best known for three days/nights of crit racing in and around downtown, but it also includes very well organized and attended fondos on Saturday and Sunday, June 8-9. But it will be even better this year with the introduction of the Classico rides on Sunday. Distances can be either the Piccolo (30-ish miles) or the Medio (usually a metric + kind of distance). Frames and components up to 1995, with modern saddles and pedals allowed for the less hardy among us.

Hope to see some C&Vers here in the heartland this summer!

The Saint Francis Tulsa Tough is proud to announce The Classico, an Eroica-inspired Gran Fondo ride and celebration of classic bicycles.

SFTT is a uniquely American spectacle of not just bicycle racing, but bicycle culture. The Classico is our way of celebrating that culture's history by spotlighting the classic, predominately steel, bicycles that carried racers through the formative years of our sport. The Classico is about the art of the machine: the lug, the fillet braze, the pantograph. It is a meditation of the minutia; it is road cycling as ceremony: the delicate touch of the perfect gear change, the hypnotic hum of tires on tarmac, sweating on your own reflection in a polished quill stem. Above all, The Classico is about bringing together the people who love these bikes and keeping them on the road.

The Classico will be held as part of the Saint Francis Tulsa Tough Gran Fondo series on Sunday, June 9th, 2024. Choose between the Medio and the Piccolo routes, and enjoy the ride from the front of the pack as you lead out Sunday's peloton. Those registered for The Classico will receive various perks, including a custom Saint Francis Tulsa Tough Classico jersey inspired by the Tulsa flag. Registration for The Classico will open on February 1, 2024 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Riders of The Classico will receive extra "Classico-only" perks, including:
— The Concourse: A finish-line bike valet and gallery. Hang up your bike after the ride and see other riders' vintage rigs
— The Photomaton: A classic-inspired photo booth with a backdrop for personalized images of you and your bike
— The Classico Jersey: A limited-edition, vintage-inspired jersey made for the 2024 Classico ride
— The Classico Museum: A separate photo-based webpage on the tulsatough.com website to showcase your vintage bike and its components; the full photo gallery will consist of rider-submitted images of vintage bike builds as well as a list of relevant components
Old 01-29-24, 03:07 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Wow look at those perks! Consider me signed up! (My friends wrote and designed all of that )

Last edited by shoota; 01-29-24 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-31-24, 07:38 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever been to Ooohhhhklahoma…
🤔
very cool that ride organizations see the value in the “underbiking” demographic.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-31-24 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 10:59 AM
notgr

Bikes: Huissoon Sport, Moser (Leader AX), Franklin TSX, Gan Well Pro, &C, &C

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Wow look at those perks! Consider me signed up! (My friends wrote and designed all of that )
As one of said friends, I will definitely be there! I also want to add that all of the Tulsa Tough crew are excited for this category and want to make it something special. The event/organization's executive director has been talking about riding it on his Alpineer (made in Tulsa), which would be only the second time he's ridden his own event in 18 years.

Also, for anyone in the Tulsa area, starting in March I'm going to start trying to organize a weekly vintage group ride in the lead-up to this.
Likes For notgr:
Old 02-01-24, 06:05 PM
strathconaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 22 Posts
Already booked that weekend for another race. Everyone else should go so they will do it again next year.
Old 02-01-24, 07:44 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Sounds like a great Event.
Old 03-06-24, 10:08 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
I've decided to go with this minty Raleigh Competition, though I'll admit up front I'll swap in some less manly chainrings. Tulsa Tough is usually about as hilly as they can manage around here. Poor bike was hardly used in its first fifty years, and I'm ashamed to admit I hardly ride it, either, as it looks nice in my living room. But now I'll have some motivation to roll it out more often before June.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 03-07-24, 07:42 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston
I've decided to go with this minty Raleigh Competition, though I'll admit up front I'll swap in some less manly chainrings. Tulsa Tough is usually about as hilly as they can manage around here. Poor bike was hardly used in its first fifty years, and I'm ashamed to admit I hardly ride it, either, as it looks nice in my living room. But now I'll have some motivation to roll it out more often before June.
Looks great! I can't wait to see it in person. I'm going with the Tomassini Super Prestige, also in black
Likes For shoota:
Old 03-07-24, 06:40 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
My brother lived in Tulsa around 1974-1976. I remember him speaking of a 24 hour cycling event. I think he said he did a bit over 300 miles. I will have to get back with him. I also seem to remember him doing it on an orange Schwinn Super Sport.
Edit; confirmed he rode a Super Sport a bit over 300 miles in a 24 hour endurance ride on a closed course.

Last edited by sd5782; 03-08-24 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For sd5782: