Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1" threaded ISO headset cups with JIS crown race

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 12:53 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

In my younger years, I made the one-time mistake of pressing ISO headset cups (30.2mm diameter) into a headtube designed for JIS headsets (30.0mm diameter).
Because of that mistake, JIS headset cups fit slightly loose in the head tube, so I need to use ISO headset cups. (I've never been able to find any cracks in the head tube, in case you're wondering.) Of course, the fork still takes a JIS crown race.

I found a combo headset with ISO cups and JIS crown race. Nothing high-end, and I'm starting to get a low level of "indexed steering. I bought that headset at Loose Screws, which no longer exists.

Any ideas on where I might find a quality low-profile 1" threaded headset with ISO cups and JIS crown race? Or buy an ISO headset and separate JIS crown race for the same headset design?
Old 02-03-17, 01:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
In my younger years, I made the one-time mistake of pressing ISO headset cups (30.2mm diameter) into a headtube designed for JIS headsets (30.0mm diameter).
Because of that mistake, JIS headset cups fit slightly loose in the head tube, so I need to use ISO headset cups. (I've never been able to find any cracks in the head tube, in case you're wondering.) Of course, the fork still takes a JIS crown race.

I found a combo headset with ISO cups and JIS crown race. Nothing high-end, and I'm starting to get a low level of "indexed steering. I bought that headset at Loose Screws, which no longer exists.

Any ideas on where I might find a quality low-profile 1" threaded headset with ISO cups and JIS crown race? Or buy an ISO headset and separate JIS crown race for the same headset design?
Tange almost certainly makes a headset that will work and if they don't you can mix and match their headsets. I had to do this with my latest custom (1" steerer) because Tange didn't make a straight swap for the Chris King the bike was built around to get the stack height right. Tange makes headsets for many manufacturers and has for at least 40 years. No danger of them going away. I believe QBP carries their headsets. In any case, ordering one through a shop is not hard and they are also not expensive. Their cheapest headset is about $8 and very low stack. No seals so you have to make them or use a fender and marine grease to keep grit out. I used parts of that set on my custom (not the cups) to micky-mouse the stack. HS went 7-8000 miles with maybe adjustments. It is now showing a little indexing, but it has done its job. (Just wished I had gone Tange from the beginning. One headset, no icky-mouse and I would have missed the 7 thousand miles of promise that the King would settle in and be great. I couldn't go more than 400 miles with tightening. Didn't matter if I did it, a pro mechanic or the King factory.)

Ben
Old 02-03-17, 08:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Another approach is to buy a complete JIS headset and take up the slack in the headtube using one of the Locktite bearing and shaft locking compounds. If you buy a good cartridge bearing headset, you should never have to replace either the cups or crown race. If it wears out, just get replacement bearings.
Old 02-03-17, 09:12 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Velo orange has what you need. You can buy their inexpensive alloy headset (it's pretty good quality) and get the crown race you need as well because they stock the small parts for their headsets.
Old 02-03-17, 09:18 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
+1 to 79pmooney's comments.

Tange headsets, at least in some models, are available in ISO, JIS, or mixes of both. If you can only find a full ISO Tange headset, you can pick up a JIS crown race or vice versa. They're interchangeable, at least for a given Tange model -- ISO Tange Levin cups will work with an ISO Tange Levin crown race, for example.

As an aside... For whatever it's worth, my experience with inexpensive Tange headsets is slightly different than 79pmooney's. Mine have all come with seals for the lower bearings. They're basic plastic and not terribly fancy, but reasonably effective.
Old 02-03-17, 11:22 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Another approach is to buy a complete JIS headset and take up the slack in the headtube using one of the Locktite bearing and shaft locking compounds.
+1

This is what I have done for the exact same proble. When an interference fit becomes loose you usually only need the tiniest amount of material to take up the slack. A member here recommended trying a ribbon of fingernail polish inside the head tube. It worked perfectly.
Old 02-03-17, 12:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
+1

This is what I have done for the exact same proble. When an interference fit becomes loose you usually only need the tiniest amount of material to take up the slack. A member here recommended trying a ribbon of fingernail polish inside the head tube. It worked perfectly.

I like this better than the Loctite solution since it can be easily undone.
Old 02-03-17, 12:36 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I was actually a little too liberal with my application. Couldn't get the cups in. A little sandpaper and voila, a custom TIGHT fit.
Old 02-03-17, 05:12 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yeah, there are various strengths of Locktite but they are all pretty strong. That's why I recommended a cartridge bearing headset. TR would never have to remove the cups or crown race again.
Old 02-03-17, 06:42 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Yeah, there are various strengths of Locktite but they are all pretty strong. That's why I recommended a cartridge bearing headset. TR would never have to remove the cups or crown race again.
The ISO headset I originally accidentally installed was a Shimano 1" cartridge-bearing headset. I found a JIS crown race for it, but the stack height was too high. Are some cartridge-bearing headsets as low-profile as loose-ball headsets?

If I had to, I could rig up a JIS headset to work in the frame. But it does sound a bit jury-rigged compared to just pressing ISO cups into the frame.
Old 02-03-17, 06:55 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by TallRider
Are some cartridge-bearing headsets as low-profile as loose-ball headsets?
Unfortunately, none I'm aware of. I had a '92 Trek 1420 that came with a Tange 1" threaded loose ball headset and Trek had cut the steerer to an absolute minimum to match that headset. When the headset wore out I tried to find a cartridge bearing headset that was short enough to work with the fork and couldn't.
Old 02-03-17, 07:10 PM
jwgd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one from origin8 comes with both crown races. Sealed cartridge bearings, cups are 30.2 and stack height is 42.5. I replaced an old loose-ball tange falcon and the fit was fine.

Product Description | Origin8
Old 02-03-17, 07:24 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by jwgd
This one from origin8 comes with both crown races. Sealed cartridge bearings, cups are 30.2 and stack height is 42.5. I replaced an old loose-ball tange falcon and the fit was fine.

Product Description | Origin8
I've been very happy with this headset. It's aluminum and fairly light to boot.
Old 02-03-17, 07:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
pardon if it's been suggested already.

Consider buying a cartridge bearing that uses a split crown centering cone (crown race). These aren't press fit, and use the taper to tighten onto the fork the same way the top centering cone does. There's enough latitude that the same part will fit either fork.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-03-17, 07:57 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by jwgd
That is a very tall stack height. The older loose ball Tange's (and the current Ritchy Logic) I'm familiar with have a stack height in the 32 - 33 mm range and typical cartridge bearing headsets like the previous Shimano Dura Ace and Ultegra have stack heights in the 37 -39 mm range.