Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Something broke off on bar end shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 09:16 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I just got a used recumbent a few weeks ago. This bike has bar end shifters. I am not familiar with these and something broke inside the handlebar. Meaning the shifter no longer stays in the handlebar and there was a some shredded metal at the end of the shifter.
Do I have to replace the whole shifter or could I just glue in the shifter? Right now I temporarily fixed it with electrical tape. The shifter itself works. It just won't stay in the handlebar.

Thanks
Old 09-21-17, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pictures required.

wild guess: you have turned the bar end shifter and made its mounting bolt expansion mount loose.

If so , take the shift lever out of the mount, and with a 6mm hex wrench you turn it counterclockwise, to tighten it.

the bolt is right hand thread but its head is facing the inside of the bar, so that's why you reverse the direction.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-21-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 10:01 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Thanks. No I have not turned them at all. And like I said I have no experience with them. I will see if I can get them tightened again tonight. I was just worried with all the metal shavings and thought something broke or sheared off.
Old 09-21-17, 12:20 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Picture are needed to give any advice.
Old 09-22-17, 11:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Metal shavings usually are not a good sign, unless they're under a mill or lathe.

Agreed that description is lacking and that photos would convey far more info. But since the OP lives in a sizeable community perhaps he can bring the bike by a shop for an estimate of needs. Andy
Old 09-23-17, 10:38 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Definitely need pictures. Bar-ends in recumbents can be done a couple different ways, some of which are definitely shadetree.

I don't see how you could see "shredded metal at the end of the shifter" but repair it with electrical tape and have it work.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..