Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finished 3Rensho Specialized Sequoia

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 11:00 AM
brennie 

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (3Rensho), Mercian, Miyata TripleCross, Specialized StreetStomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

I recently finished building up the Sequoia and I thought I'd share.

I think all that it's missing is a Specialized flag triple crank and a saddle bag. If anyone has either of those feel free to reach out, I'm in the market!

Thanks for looking.

Old 01-24-24, 12:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Just curious- how do you identify a 3Rensho built Sequoia?
Old 01-24-24, 01:50 PM
brennie 

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia (3Rensho), Mercian, Miyata TripleCross, Specialized StreetStomper

Long lugs, fastback seat stays, and chromed dropouts. They also lack serial numbers and only have the sizes stamped on the underside of the BB - either 58 or 60. The fork steerer tube will also be stamped with the size.

3Rensho was a small shop so I wonder how many were produced. Likely only in the hundreds.
Likes For brennie:
Old 01-24-24, 05:26 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by brennie
Long lugs, fastback seat stays, and chromed dropouts. They also lack serial numbers and only have the sizes stamped on the underside of the BB - either 58 or 60. The fork steerer tube will also be stamped with the size.

3Rensho was a small shop so I wonder how many were produced. Likely only in the hundreds.
Yours doesn't have fastback stays. ???
Old 01-24-24, 07:23 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Yours doesn't have fastback stays. ???
Sort of. They are...fast(er) back when compared to the later Sequoias.

Old 01-24-24, 07:41 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 447 Posts
Nice bike!

I love that first photo.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-24-24, 07:49 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Thanks for sharing. OP Sequoia likely appears a Konno built. Rare and low numbers produced. Call it fastback or not, the stays are like Sinyard's personal and first ones from Konno. Plus outer stay rack boss vs inside. Neenan design perhaps had a change order with some purported made by Miki Japan. Scalloped caps etc..

I see Jim Merz has been active on this forum. If anything, he's one whom can accurately confirm. Other fellow whom might know and confirm is Andrew Muzi of Y.Jersey outside of Madison WI. Knows well the hallmarks of 3rensho frames.

Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 01-24-24, 07:58 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 175 Posts

This is an example of a first generation Sequoia that was in the lobby museum of Specialized Morgan Hill. 3Rensho built. Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 01-24-24, 08:05 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
^ Wow.. Mister Merz zipping around cyberworld and immediately zoned and answers here. Danke and prost!
Ps. Also note the frames down tube has provisions for two bottle cages yet none on the seat tube.
Old 01-24-24, 09:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
SS attachment

Neenan/Sinyard = tacked inish.

3R = tacked on

Neither actual "fastback" IMO.

And have never seen or heard these called fastback.
Old 01-25-24, 07:20 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Nomenclature peccadillos aside, that’s a lovely build. The purple cables are nice highlight without being ostentatious. Great work!
Old 01-25-24, 08:32 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
I've always wondered what exactly the Sequoia was? For that matter, the Sirrus? The Allez was the race bike, and the Expedition was the full tourer....

Aside from the Allez and Sequoia, did 3Rensho make any other models? Is there a Konno built Expedition? Sirrus? What about Stumpjumper? Rockhopper?

I had a 3Rensho Allez (had the cool tubing sticker). I miss that bike.

Last edited by Rocket-Sauce; 01-25-24 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 01-25-24, 08:52 AM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Sequoia

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
I've always wondered what exactly the Sequoia was? The Allez was the race bike, and the Expedition was the full tourer.

Aside from the Allez and Sequoia, did 3Rensho make any other models? Is there a Konno built Expedition? Sirrus? What about Stumpjumper? Rockhopper?
The Sequoia is what the French Constructeurs called a Sortif, a bike designed for a discerning non racer. The great thing about this machine is that it does everything well.

3Rensho made only the very first Sequoia frames, I don't know how many but it was a small number. When I started working for Specialized in 1982 I redisigned the full bicycle frame offerings, after this the Sequioa bikes were made by Miki. 3Rensho only made Allez frames for Specialized from 1982 onwards.

Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 01-25-24, 12:02 PM
Catnap 

At the risk of being pedantic, it's worth noting that Yoshi Konno wasn't hand-building these frames. He had a staff of builders working for him, which included Koichi Yamaguchi as the master frame builder from 1983-1987. So, it's more accurate to say they were made by 3Rensho, as Jim said above.

Portlandjim Did Konno design those early Allez & Sequoia frames? Or was he building them to Specialized's design? I had thought Konno designed them, given his use of the iconic offset fork crown, but you'd know better than me.
Old 01-25-24, 12:41 PM
Portlandjim

Originally Posted by Catnap
At the risk of being pedantic, it's worth noting that Yoshi Konno wasn't hand-building these frames. He had a staff of builders working for him, which included Koichi Yamaguchi as the master frame builder from 1983-1987. So, it's more accurate to say they were made by 3Rensho, as Jim said above.

Portlandjim Did Konno design those early Allez & Sequoia frames? Or was he building them to Specialized's design? I had thought Konno designed them, given his use of the iconic offset fork crown, but you'd know better than me.
You are correct about Yoshi not building our frames. I was pretty good friends with him, and I never saw him build any frames! Most likely he did make frames early in his company's history, and prototype/show bikes.

F​or the first ​yearor so (1981-1982) Specialized frames were designed by Tim Neenan, this included the Allez and Sequoia models. I​nterestingly 3Rensho​ didn't buil​dthe first Allez​ frames, t​hey were by Toyo. When I started at Specialized in ​late Summer of 1982, we redesigned both of these models plus added a bunch of other bikes. Yoshi wanted to use his offset fork crown, I had no problem with doing that but added our logo cast in. One more little known detail. Right before I went to work for Sinyard, Yoshi talked Mike into making 10 Allez Shimano AX bikes. I am pretty sure this is the only time Yoshi designed any Allez, and the only time he supplied a full bike to us. Those 10 bikes did not sell at the original asking price, and were sitting up in the mezzanine when I went to work there. I remember that they were finally sold at a fire sale price. Pretty neat bikes. I had some photos of one of the Allez AX bikes, but I can't locate them. Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 01-25-24, 12:49 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
I've always wondered what exactly the Sequoia was?
I look at the Sequoia kind of like an 83-ish Trek 700. Kind of a sport/touring "do everything" bike- with a medium length wheelbase, rear rack mounts- but out of prime tubing and grade A components.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-25-24, 02:13 PM
brennie 

It's a nice all-rounder - it can climb up muddy hills but also zip down pavement. I have 32 tires on it now but I'll likely put 35s on it soon.
Old 01-25-24, 02:25 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by brennie
It's a nice all-rounder - it can climb up muddy hills but also zip down pavement. I have 32 tires on it now but I'll likely put 35s on it soon.
56cm?
Old 01-25-24, 04:30 PM
Catnap 

Originally Posted by Portlandjim
You are correct about Yoshi not building our frames. I was pretty good friends with him, and I never saw him build any frames! Most likely he did make frames early in his company's history, and prototype/show bikes.

F​or the first ​yearor so (1981-1982) Specialized frames were designed by Tim Neenan, this included the Allez and Sequoia models. I​nterestingly 3Rensho​ didn't buil​dthe first Allez​ frames, t​hey were by Toyo. When I started at Specialized in ​late Summer of 1982, we redesigned both of these models plus added a bunch of other bikes. Yoshi wanted to use his offset fork crown, I had no problem with doing that but added our logo cast in. One more little known detail. Right before I went to work for Sinyard, Yoshi talked Mike into making 10 Allez Shimano AX bikes. I am pretty sure this is the only time Yoshi designed any Allez, and the only time he supplied a full bike to us. Those 10 bikes did not sell at the original asking price, and were sitting up in the mezzanine when I went to work there. I remember that they were finally sold at a fire sale price. Pretty neat bikes. I had some photos of one of the Allez AX bikes, but I can't locate them. Jim Merz
Thank you for the information, Jim! I have seen a few bikes from the Cherubim Cyclone era (late 1970s) that say "made by Y. Konno" on the chain stay. I assume Yoshi Konno hand-made those. I would loooove to see a photo of the Allez AX bikes if you ever dig them up. If any of those 10 survived to the present day, they'd be serious collectors' items.
Old 01-25-24, 05:30 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandjim

I have a 1983 Sequoia and a 1983 3Rensho-built Allez. Both have the "Designed by Tim Neenan" decal on the chainstay, but it sounds like you are saying that this is only referring to Tim's original design and that these 1983 models would have incorporated your re-design. Is that correct? I was aware that you redesigned these at some point, but I've never been clear about exactly when that happened. With the Sequoia I had guessed that it was in 1984 when the seat tube bottle bosses were added and (I've read) more tire clearance was added. Would it be more correct to say that there was just general year-to-year (or even more frequent) continuous improvement of the design?

Based on serial number format and various hints I've found in online discussions, I think maybe my Sequoia was built by Miki, but others have speculated Miyata. Whichever it was, it's one of my favorite bikes. I've had it side-by-side with a 3Rensho-built Sequoia, and while the 3Rensho-built frame had the markers discussed here, I thought the quality of my Sequoia was very comparable. The lugs aren't as long, and the seat stay treatment isn't the same, but they both appeared to be extremely well-made. You can really see the attention to quality.

Old 01-25-24, 06:06 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
I just finished up a rebuild of my 3Rensho Sequoia but I haven't taken any pictures yet. This thread is inspiring. And thanks for all the shared knowledge from everyone here!
Likes For twolve:
Old 01-25-24, 06:12 PM
Portlandjim

[QUOTE=Andy_K;23138720]I have a 1983 Sequoia and a 1983 3Rensho-built Allez. Both have the "Designed by Tim Neenan" decal on the chainstay, but it sounds like you are saying that this is only referring to Tim's original design and that these 1983 models would have incorporated your re-design. Is that correct? I was aware that you redesigned these at some point, but I've never been clear about exactly when that happened. With the Sequoia I had guessed that it was in 1984 when the seat tube bottle bosses were added and (I've read) more tire clearance was added. Would it be more correct to say that there was just general year-to-year (or even more frequent) continuous improvement of the design?

Your Sequoia looks like it could be an interim design, I'm pretty sure it was made by Miki but designed by Tim. The Allez looks like mine but with Designed by Tim Neenan decals! Those times things were hectic, not every decal showed what was what!

Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 01-25-24, 07:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by twolve
I just finished up a rebuild of my 3Rensho Sequoia but I haven't taken any pictures yet. This thread is inspiring. And thanks for all the shared knowledge from everyone here!
Get to it, pics or it didn't happen.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-25-24, 11:25 PM
brennie 

Originally Posted by shoota
56cm?

It’s a 58
Old 01-26-24, 10:27 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)