Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Suggest some tires options for racing

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 07:23 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I've got my wheelsets sorted out I think. I'm going to have two sets right now. One to ride and one as a spare for the pits. If I happen on another set cheap off of craigslist I just might spring for them -but they better be cheap.

So far I've happened into one halfway decent set of tires and need to put something on the second wheelset as I've heard bikes don't run very well without tires

The take-off tires I picked up are a like-new set of Ritchey Speedmax Comp Cyclocross in 32mm

What are the types/conditions of racing these tires are suited for, and using these as a jumping off point what else should I look for in tires? I'm going to need at least one more set of tires to put on the other wheels and maybe a 3rd set eventually to more fully cover the bases of differing terrain and weather conditions.

My budget allows for tires at the $30 level or below.

Please don't tell me that I should get tubulars. My budget just DOES NOT allow this -neither for the wheels or the tubulars themselves. It's clincher for this season and maybe some Stan's tubeless conversions if money loosens up later this fall.

I know I'm not going to be competitive -I'm just starting out. I do want to finish so two sets of clincher wheels & tires is the minimum level of commitment I'm ready to spring for.
Old 03-14-12, 08:27 AM
patrickinvt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the speedmax tires will cover you for just about everything, but maybe make it your mud/sloppy course tire and pick up a set of less aggressive tires for dry condition/grass crit courses. maybe even a file tread if you're comfortable with your handling skills.

even with clinchers, the right tire pressure is as important as choosing the right tread pattern - you need both for good traction, so you'll want to experiment with psi as much as different tires. in fact, i'd recommend just getting to know just one or two sets of tires really well so you know how they'll respond in different conditions at different psi. i'd say it's worth to spend a little more on a good set of tires with nicer casings - more so than springing for a 3rd set of "budget" tires. something like a challenge grifo would be a nice tire for you.
Old 03-14-12, 01:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there are some who change tires for course conditions, tread pattern rather than brand, the criteria,
since now there is a lot more people out getting muddy or dusty.. big market to get a share .
Old 03-19-12, 08:04 PM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, the Ritchey Speedmax's are more of a file tread type. I'd use these as the dry/grassy tires and something else for when it gets really muddy. In your price range, the Kenda Kwickers make a pretty fair foul-weather tire. At first I didn't give them much creedence but the Stan's team ran them at World's with pretty good results. Also, if you watch you can pick up a pair of Panaracer CrossBlasters for a good deal. I found an eBay deal on these last year for $26 for the pair - Cross Blasters are light, supple casing with an agressive tread.
Old 03-19-12, 08:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
So far I've happened into one halfway decent set of tires and need to put something on the second wheelset as I've heard bikes don't run very well without tires
Define "very well". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRekj46Vq8
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-19-12, 08:23 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Originally Posted by mrtornadohead
Actually, the Ritchey Speedmax's are more of a file tread type. I'd use these as the dry/grassy tires and something else for when it gets really muddy. In your price range, the Kenda Kwickers make a pretty fair foul-weather tire. At first I didn't give them much creedence but the Stan's team ran them at World's with pretty good results. Also, if you watch you can pick up a pair of Panaracer CrossBlasters for a good deal. I found an eBay deal on these last year for $26 for the pair - Cross Blasters are light, supple casing with an agressive tread.
Thanks!

I picked up a couple more used (more used this time) tires at the local coop that will do OK off-road for doing some training as well as a couple 32mm streety-ish CX tires that look like they came off of cross bikes all for $5 each. I'll use the somewhat broken-in tires for some off-road training and the streeties for putting some road miles on the bike and getting it fully tested and familiar with it this summer and early fall. That way I can keep my race rubber fresh for races. This is what I used to do when I raced motorcycles. Sharp rubber makes a whole lotta difference. you'd be amazed what some folks would show up with at tech inspection -nothing unsafe or anything but really giving away a lot of advantage with worn/old knobbies in a race environment. Since bicycle tires are about 40x easier to change there really isn't any excuse to waste good rubber training.
Old 03-19-12, 08:38 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Wow, what dooshie behavior riding like that down a mixed-use path. Someone steps out is going to get creamed.

Sort of hard on wheels and rims too but it's their bikes!
Old 03-20-12, 08:53 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used the Rithchey SpeedMax tires for most of last season and really liked them in the dry. They rolled really well and gripped well enough in dry grass.

They were awful when it got wet though.
Old 03-20-12, 09:07 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
The speedmaxs will get you started and are great for dryer conditions as others have mentioned. For muddier stuff I really like the Specialized Pro Captains. They are out of your price range but most good tires are. If you keep your tires off the street they can really last. I have 2 years on mine and they still look new.
Old 03-20-12, 09:13 AM
XLR99

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Michelin Mud2s; several people near me use these as their only race tire.
I did one wet-ish race on Speedmax last fall & ordered a pair of Mud2s as soon as I got home that afternoon.
You can find them in your price range, or close to it.
Old 03-20-12, 09:30 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Check!

it seems I've got dry conditions covered, so I should be looking for a set of mud tires. I'll look into the Specialized Pro Captains and Michelin Mud2s. Thanks for all the suggestions. Are there any other suggestions for good mud tires in this category?
Old 03-20-12, 09:35 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

I'm only seeing the Mud2 in 30c. Is this the width I want in a race mud tire?
Old 03-20-12, 11:01 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Try to find 34mm tires if possible. The added volume will make a difference.
Old 03-20-12, 12:01 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Narrow can be good for a mud tire, depending on the consistency of the mud. The theory is that a narrow tire will slice through the mud with less resistence than a wide tire and find bottom. On the other hand, you sometimes encounter nasty thick peanut butter mud that won't be sliced and so a narrow tire just sinks in while a wider tire can (in theory) float a bit better. The trade-off is that the wide tire will collect more of the mud. If there are also firm technical sections on the course, the wider tire will have an advantage there for handling.

I've run the 700x30 Mud2 for a couple of years now and have been very happy. I have a set of 700x35 Racing Ralphs which I use on dry courses. A couple of times I've been fooled by the weather and ended up using the Racing Ralphs on a muddy course (lesson: always bring everything you might want to the race). I like the Mud2 much better for muddy races, but it's hard to say how much that's the width and how much it's the tread pattern.
Old 03-20-12, 12:44 PM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
33's are the largest width allowed for UCI races. not thinking this would apply to 3/4 races but the result have made an impression the tire mfg's. challenge clinchers are my go to for training and I use the tubular versions for racing, the fango and Limus are great mud tires with the grifo as the multi use and grifo xs file treads for grass, hard pack and some snow & ice conditions all are 33 now
Old 03-20-12, 12:44 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

I hope to have 3 wheelsets and at least that many sets of tires. More tires would be better eventually. I can't afford a spare bike but I might be able to round up a pit crew who are skilled enough to change a tire so if I flat and need to swap tires I can swap back if necessary after a lap or two.

Don't be fooled into thinking that I plan on being competitive -I just have some experience in moto-racing and I really want to avoid DNF-ing. DNF is the devil. I don't care if I come in last place as long as I do not DNF or get disqualified by time limits.

The only way I'm coming off that course before the finish is on a stretcher or if the race officials throw me off.
Old 03-20-12, 01:06 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

I think so far I'm leaning towards a set of Mud2s in 30mm. If I see a set on sale I'll snatch them up. Come July/August I'll pay whatever they cost I suppose.
Old 03-20-12, 02:51 PM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think so far I'm leaning towards a set of Mud2s in 30mm. If I see a set on sale I'll snatch them up. Come July/August I'll pay whatever they cost I suppose.

I would advise against the 30's ... beware of pinch flats, running too much pressure is also a recipe for poor corning traction if you thinking of just airing them up, I would aim for 32 or 33. 32 being the Mud size. I have safely run Mud 32's dow to 32 psi w/o issue...
Old 03-21-12, 01:35 PM
mrtornadohead
dork. yup.

Bikes: Trek xo2, Fuji Cross Pro, Schwinn Traveler cross-conversion, Concours, Trek 2300, Takara, Specialized Hard Rock, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, GT LTS Team issue, BikeE, Miyata 110, and some others. Somewhere.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mich Muds

Originally Posted by rithem
I would advise against the 30's ... beware of pinch flats, running too much pressure is also a recipe for poor corning traction if you thinking of just airing them up, I would aim for 32 or 33. 32 being the Mud size. I have safely run Mud 32's dow to 32 psi w/o issue...
Michelin Muds *only* come in a 30. For that matter, Mich Jets come onlny in a 30 as well. Sorry, that's it.

Check out the tire reviews at www.cxmagazine.com for more info if so inclined. I really like Panaracer CrossBlasters for mud. Somoe people swear by Maxxis Raze, some don't like them at all. I don't like the Raze as much only because it tends to slip more in the off-camber stuff (not enough shoulder knobs). Kenda Kwickers as I mentioned seemed to make great, really inexpensive mud tires. I've used Kenda Kommandos with pretty good success in muddy conditions (Masters Worlds, Ohio State Champs, et al) but they have a smaller knob profile than some people would like (but I beg you, give them an honest shot). I prefer the 35s in the Kommandos as the 32s have the knobs closer together and would probably clog up.

Biggest thing in mud is to get the pressure as low as you possibly can. To the poinit that you'll bottom out once or twice a lap. I ran the 40c version of the Speedmax's at a muddy race last year this way and it worked pretty good. Sven Nys has been seen laying a whopping on the field with file treads (pipestrellos) in muddy races. Pressure and technique.
Old 03-27-12, 11:24 AM
rithem
Foward Leaning Attitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
true but they actually measure 32 making them generously fat for a 30 rating ... i havn't ridden them in a few years thanks for the correction. lower pressure in mud for better traction is correct ... that said check out challenge and clement
Old 03-27-12, 12:39 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Hutchison Blulldogs as a mud/loose conditions tire. Huge volume as well. Stoked to try the Clement PDXs though. Nothing but good reviews on them.
Old 04-17-12, 08:29 AM
chilipapa

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Airbore Ti road, Pearson crosser, 1986 Rampon & MTB hardtail. 1958 Raleigh Dawn Tourist Superb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Michelin Mud 2 user. Don't be put off by the 'mud' tag. So far I've found them to be the best all rounder by far. Fast in the dry, and work when required in the mud. They don't offer unnecessary resistance in damp conditions unlike some that really hold you back.
Old 04-17-12, 10:27 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't be fooled into thinking that I plan on being competitive -I just have some experience in moto-racing and I really want to avoid DNF-ing. DNF is the devil. I don't care if I come in last place as long as I do not DNF or get disqualified by time limits.
Don't fall too much into the "need more gear" mindset if you're not planning on being competitive. I went into my first season (last year) with similar plans; enjoy myself while torturing myself, but with no real plans on placing in the top third since it was only my first season and I hadn't done any competitive riding for 15 years. Turns out that I placed in the top 20% overall for the season.
I don't have a pit bike. I don't have pit wheels (although this season that may change). I spent my money on a decent pair of wheels and I run my tires a bit on the high side to keep from pinching. Instead of pit wheels, I opted for a few pairs of tires that I can swap out based on course conditions.
Clement Crusade PDX 33mm for goopy mud, IRD CrossFire 32mm for really wet courses (wet grass, thin mud), and WTB All-Terrain 32mm for dry and packed courses.
Old 04-17-12, 10:39 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Don't fall too much into the "need more gear" mindset if you're not planning on being competitive. I went into my first season (last year) with similar plans; enjoy myself while torturing myself, but with no real plans on placing in the top third since it was only my first season and I hadn't done any competitive riding for 15 years. Turns out that I placed in the top 20% overall for the season.
I don't have a pit bike. I don't have pit wheels (although this season that may change). I spent my money on a decent pair of wheels and I run my tires a bit on the high side to keep from pinching. Instead of pit wheels, I opted for a few pairs of tires that I can swap out based on course conditions.
Clement Crusade PDX 33mm for goopy mud, IRD CrossFire 32mm for really wet courses (wet grass, thin mud), and WTB All-Terrain 32mm for dry and packed courses.
Thanks for the info!

As a mechanic and bike fixxer-upper who's constantly buying and selling and scrounging at the coop the cost of a lot of the gear isn't very high for me. I see stuff for next to nothing at times and it's just a matter of picking it up for $5 or so.

You wouldn't believe the number of wheels I've bought at garage sales for under $5 that had some combination of decent rubber, good tubes, good hubs, good rims -etc. Usually there is one or two issues with the wheel that caused the PO to quit riding them and buy another. MANY of them were from people who were told that "Dork Disks" are for loozarz and subseqently took them off -only to have the chain jump off the cassette into the spokes because they didn't know how to maintain their derailleur limits. A new set of spokes and such a wheel is usually like new... Or the spokes are starting to pop and they didn't know how to take the cassette off and bought a whole new wheel. Spoke sets are cheap. Or the bearings needed rebuilding...

So having a few extra wheelsets around isn't a hardship. A pit bike is totally out of the question at this point -I don't have the budget for another bike. I don't wnat to budget for a second set of Candy pedals even -those things never seem to be cheap used without being used up....
Old 04-17-12, 05:39 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rithem
true but they actually measure 32 making them generously fat for a 30 rating ... i havn't ridden them in a few years thanks for the correction. lower pressure in mud for better traction is correct ... that said check out challenge and clement
Interesting that michelins measure big. All the Maxxis, Vittoria and challange tires I have had all measure 1-2mm smaller than the stated size. Lesson- always take actual measurements of tire width rather than relying on the label.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.