Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 07-31-19, 11:51 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
just my opinion on the 2020 fx 6 -https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-sport-6/p/28843/

great specs all around but (and i have said this many times before) the color bores the life out of me. they have had this same color for years but now the TREK logo is in a brighter/sparklier color. that's nice but not enough. i get that matte black is trendy but to me, it's like buying a car that only has primer on it. wheres, the color, wheres the shine, wheres the life?! i still love the bike and wish i had one but the color would take a lot of the excitement out of riding for me.

/rant
I agree with you completely! I am utterly sick of black bikes. It's the reason I was willing to wait a week for my FX3 Disc to order it in Viper Red rather than the boring black that was in stock.
Likes For Aahzz:
Old 07-31-19, 01:15 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts

I hear you on the black bikes! I pulled the trigger this week on a new high end carbon gravel bike (Niner) to keep my FXS6 company, and they had two color choices black and cement/blue. I went with the cement to break it up a bit!
Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 07-31-19, 01:57 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I don't care for any of the matte finishes myself. They're popular today, but I prefer traditional glossy metallic colors. Trek used to spray some really nice colors on their bikes, but it seems like they've gone to black, black, or black...and usually in matte!
Old 08-01-19, 08:02 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I don't care for any of the matte finishes myself. They're popular today, but I prefer traditional glossy metallic colors. Trek used to spray some really nice colors on their bikes, but it seems like they've gone to black, black, or black...and usually in matte!
I don't know about Bike . In Guns Carbon parts aren't painted : It's part of teh process molding and making the Carbon Fiber. The Color is in the material itself. Where alloy is obviously painted on teh surface : This would account for teh variety of Matte Finishes : Mainly in teh Carbon Bike Frames
Old 08-02-19, 12:08 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I agree with you completely! I am utterly sick of black bikes. It's the reason I was willing to wait a week for my FX3 Disc to order it in Viper Red rather than the boring black that was in stock.
I have a $3,800 emonda sl6 carbon road bike which is the nicest bike i've ever owned and ridden but it's matte black. it honestly bores me so much riding that thing.... i want it to have a really nice and shiny paint job but i got it at a discount so i accepted the drab matte black reluctantly..... ugh.
Likes For sh00k:
Old 08-27-19, 05:11 PM
jdawz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NEW RUBBER!! 2019 fx4 sport

After 1000 miles on the stock tires I have plunged into tubeless with the addition of 622-32 Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL tires. Entailed SPECIFIC rim strips and valves from Bontrager. Mounted easily and held air with no sealant which was still added after mounting per recommendation. Only time today for a quick spin around the neighborhood but they feel really nice and softened the ride tremendously at lower pressure with proven rolling resistance improvement. Wifes FX got the same treatment, we will put some miles on this week and get a better feel for the upgrade.

They look great but I cannot post a picture.....
Old 09-05-19, 08:30 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Just picked this up for my wife yesterday for $120... Looks unridden

Likes For ceelint:
Old 09-05-19, 10:35 AM
hokiefyd 

That's a great buy. Nice drivetrain, too!
Old 09-05-19, 12:23 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That's a great buy. Nice drivetrain, too!
Yea, I agree... That's why I didn't think twice about picking it up. It still has the molding wispies on the original tires. Took it in to my buddy at the LBS because it wouldn't shift to big ring.. turns out the shifter isn't working for that gear but works fine for the other 2 gears. He just adjusted it to run the large and middle rings. Small ring is unused now so I'll likely be removing it. She would never use it anyways, it's flat here. But overall, I think I got a $600 bike that was ridden 5 times at most for just over $100. Score!
Likes For ceelint:
Old 09-13-19, 01:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by ceelint
score!
Old 10-02-19, 05:01 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ceelint

Nice find!
Old 10-08-19, 04:36 AM
jdawz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawz
After 1000 miles on the stock tires I have plunged into tubeless with the addition of 622-32 Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL (tubeless) tires. Entailed SPECIFIC rim strips and valves from Bontrager. Mounted easily and held air with no sealant which was still added after mounting per recommendation. Only time today for a quick spin around the neighborhood but they feel really nice and softened the ride tremendously at lower pressure with proven rolling resistance improvement. Wifes FX got the same treatment, we will put some miles on this week and get a better feel for the upgrade.

They look great but I cannot post a picture.....
UPDATE - Wish I had not ridden 1000 miles on the stock tires, these tires are light years better. Less vibration, smooth and fast! Have put around 300 miles on them including some charity rides as long as 64 miles.
Old 10-11-19, 02:30 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
hi all! bought a 2019 fx 4 today! big upgrade from my multitrack 700. i’m too excited; i can’t sleep because i want it to be tomorrow so i can run errands on my bike.

i’m sure this sounds crazy, but i want to have it repainted. grey/silver is so boring. want it ion yellow, pastel pink, orange crush, or baby blue. without logos. not sure how expensive/feasible fulfilling that desire is.

still love my multitrack, of course. original plan was to sell it soon as i got this upgrade. new plan is to hang onto it for a bit and see if i can’t construct a justification to keep it.

Last edited by denada; 10-11-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-11-19, 07:36 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
hi all! bought a 2019 fx 4 today! big upgrade from my multitrack 700. i’m too excited; i can’t sleep because i want it to be tomorrow so i can run errands on my bike.

i’m sure this sounds crazy, but i want to have it repainted. grey/silver is so boring. want it ion yellow, pastel pink, orange crush, or baby blue. without logos. not sure how expensive/feasible fulfilling that desire is.

still love my multitrack, of course. original plan was to sell it soon as i got this upgrade. new plan is to hang onto it for a bit and see if i can’t construct a justification to keep it.
How much is Carbon ? Do you not know aluminum is impossible to paint ? Leave it be :
Old 10-11-19, 11:49 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
i'm not going to paint my bike. and i know nothing about aluminum. though i do think the stock paint job couldn't be more boring.
Old 10-16-19, 02:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
broke the old 7.0 Alpha out of retirement this summer for fun w/ the family. glad I didn't sell it. was at the bike shop today for my road bike & also brought the FX. it's getting a chain & rear cassette & a ride ready tuneup. I noticed some creaking so wanted a look over by a pro in case the BB needed service. might just be the cheap temp pedals I put on it. I had tortured it thru a couple rough winters. anyway, since I'm putting some money into it, I guess I shud keep torturing it ... meaning, I might have 2 bikes w/ studded tires this winter. don't know if I can handle all this pressure to ride

EDIT: creaking turned out to be the old POS pedals I put on when I intended to flip it for cheap (not the BB). they gave me for free, some cheap take-off pedals. they replaced the chain & cassette & tuned it up truing wheels & adjusting derailers. but really it was working just fine & I could have swapped the pedals myself, if it had occurred to me. but I got the bike for little money several years ago from a guy who bought it for fitness but never really rode it. it was mint when I got it & I tortured it. it deserved some pro TLC & has many more years of life left. still cracks me up tho, that it's a "7.0 Alpfa"

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-18-19 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-23-19, 06:47 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Thought I’d share. The FXS6 was my first bike. Quickly followed by two road bikes, which had me contemplating selling the FX. It was slower than the roadies and not that much more comfortable. Then the guys at the local Giant shop recommended that I try going tubeless and replacing the Bontrager hard case tires it came with, with some 35c gravel king sk which I could run 30psi lower (currently at just below 60psi). Holy smokes. The ride improved exponentially. I went from ready to sell to absolutely keeping it. Trek should really sell the FX with wider tires and run them tubeless standard, like Giant bikes now come. It is a night and day difference and I’m digging this bike all over again!

Likes For CarloM:
Old 10-23-19, 06:49 PM
hokiefyd 

It's amazing what a few more millimeters in width and a few psi taken out will do to the ride of a bike!
Old 10-23-19, 08:49 PM
csrpenfab

Agreed on going tubeless. I switched my FX6S to tubeless with Bontrager hardcase 32c tubeless tires after about 1,000 miles on the stock tubed tires. Huge improvement. Once I wear through those, I’ll be going to 38c Schwalbe G-ones. I have those on my carbon gravel bike and they are amazing. They roll great on the road at 60 psi, and stick like Velcro in the dirt around 45psi.

Old 10-24-19, 12:38 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

According to Trek 35c is the largest they support on the FX S6. My back tire clearance is fine with 35c but would get dicey with 38c. Front tire obviously is wider and could probably support 40c.

I'll probably test ride around at 50psi tomorrow and see how that feels.
Old 10-24-19, 09:19 AM
csrpenfab

Originally Posted by CarloM
According to Trek 35c is the largest they support on the FX S6. My back tire clearance is fine with 35c but would get dicey with 38c. Front tire obviously is wider and could probably support 40c.

I'll probably test ride around at 50psi tomorrow and see how that feels.
Good to know. I'll have to plop the 38c wheels from my Niner onto the FX6 to see how the 38c's clear. The Vittoria Terrano Zero tubeless is another great mixed use tire, and it come in 35c size. I had those on my prior Giant TCX gravel bike. Headed to the Trek store today to figure out a fender set up for my FX6. I need those little "hidden fender mount" things they didn't include with the bike. Hoping to find a decent set of fenders that will accommodate a larger tire.

Old 10-24-19, 10:02 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by csrpenfab
Good to know. I'll have to plop the 38c wheels from my Niner onto the FX6 to see how the 38c's clear. The Vittoria Terrano Zero tubeless is another great mixed use tire, and it come in 35c size. I had those on my prior Giant TCX gravel bike. Headed to the Trek store today to figure out a fender set up for my FX6. I need those little "hidden fender mount" things they didn't include with the bike. Hoping to find a decent set of fenders that will accommodate a larger tire.
So I took out my vernier calipers did some measurements for you and took a pic. The 35c Panaracer Gravel King SK TLC set up tubeless at 55 psi, on the stock Bontrager Affinity TLR wheels (21mm internal rim width) that come with the FX S6 measure between 37.60 - 38.01mm at various parts of the tire.

In the pic below, there is about 7mm of clearance on one side, and 5mm on the other side. It's hard to get the caliper in there to find where the narrowest point is, so treat these numbers conservatively.

So the takeaways:
  • 35c Gravel Kings SK TLC on stock tires mount wider than spec (37.5-38mm)
  • Even so, there is enough clearance to meet the ISO minimum 4mm per side spec (by approx. 1 and 3mm respectively)
So if the 38c you're interested in don't mount significantly wider, you should be fine (say 39mm or 40mm max). That said, I understand why Trek's official stance is 35c is the max tire size supported due to variations in mounted width.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 11-04-19, 02:34 PM
CarloM

Quick update: I think I've settled on 50psi. Yes it's a little bit slower but wow is the ride really comfortable. I fully realize and embrace that my time on the FX S6 is not meant to compete, speedwise, with the TCR and S3. It's serves a totally different purpose. I went as low as 45 and as high as 60 on my tubeless 35c Panaracer GravelKing SK TLCs. 50 is the happy medium between plush ride without sacrificing too much speed. For testing purposes I rode my usual 14 mile city route, which includes many stoplights. I was only 3mph slower overall than my road bikes. And because of waiting for stoplights, even though the overall mph was lower, the time to complete the route wasn't that far off. But instead of feeling every pothole and significant bump...I just rode right through them like it wasn't a thing.
Old 11-04-19, 09:10 PM
csrpenfab

Since my Niner gravel bike is getting 100% of the pedal time lately, I decided to add fenders to the FX6S for messy day duty. I picked up the Bontrager NCS fenders for 38-45c. Pretty snug fit on the FX even with 32c’s, but they fit well.

Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 11-05-19, 10:58 AM
CarloM

Sweet looking fenders! I've always been a bit bummed that the FX S6 doesn't support the racks that Bontrager/Trek makes. Would be super helpful in lugging stuff to/from work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.