Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Titanium or Steel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium or Steel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 07:09 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I agree there is no choice between Ti and steel except person preference...and I am not without that plenty of that. If I were OP, I wouldn't buy any new steel that wasn't stainless. I am just not industrious enough to care for my steel bike in a way to prevent corrosion long term.

But really the bottom line is that I am completely happy with my Ti frame. I own old steel and have a nostalgic attachment to it, but would never buy steel again. Moots and Seven may make fine frames, but the pricing is outrageous and assuming someone who asks which material to buy is after the crème-de-la-crème is a little silly. Right in the center of the Ti market is Lynskey, and no one does it better as far as actual product outcomes are concerned. Bling is a whole other story.

About your new bike lasting a lifetime: I sincerely trust your wife is smarter than that. I doubt she cares how long the bike lasts, but rather how long until you decide you want a new one again. Those are two very, very different things.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-01-16, 07:10 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
High end Ti or steel are both great! I have ridden a Merlin for 16 years and it is a great great frame. If money were not a big deal, Moots RSL, Lynskey Heliux, or Erickson.
Old 05-01-16, 07:27 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well, I have about a 1/2 dozen steel rides of various makes and then a new Lynskey bought specifically for comfort.

The Lynskey is comfortable for sure (R265 sportive model) but I have a couple of old italian steelies with a more compliant and comfortable front end. The rear on the Lynskey really soaks up the hits though, it's fairly light, climbs well, and descends well. A good overall bike and if you get it when they are running a sale it's a very, very good buy. I'd love to try this with a better fork and may ultimately try to sort that out one day. Even with wide wheels and GP 4000 S II 700 x 25c tires at only 80 psi the front is harsher than some of my other bikes.

All that said, this local find picked up for a couple of hundred is all steel, super comfy, great handling and makes me smile everytime I ride it. If I HAD TO (glad I don't, LOL!) pick between the two I'd choose this one everytime. It may not be the best at any one thing but overall it is the best and the one that really speaks to me when I ride it.

Like others have mentioned, if at all possible test ride the bikes to decide. The Giordana above is one of my heavier steel rides, made with "inferior" cromor steel and yet there's just something about it that is soooooooooooooo right! You need to ride a bike to really know if it's right for you.
Old 05-01-16, 07:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
If I were OP, I wouldn't buy any new steel that wasn't stainless. I am just not industrious enough to care for my steel bike in a way to prevent corrosion long term.
OP, this is blown WAY WAY out of proportion. The reality is that unless you frequently ride in heavy rain or you leave your bike outside in the rain (which only an idiot would do) there is virtually no chance of rust or corrosion occurring with steel for decades. IF then.

About your new bike lasting a lifetime: I sincerely trust your wife is smarter than that. I doubt she cares how long the bike lasts, but rather how long until you decide you want a new one again. Those are two very, very different things.
On the contrary. Many normal people can find everlasting contentment in just one bike for the rest of their lives. It's only the fanatical members of this forum who can't find satisfaction owning just one bike, but most of the members of this forum are extremists when it comes to cycling anyway. The number of moderate cyclists in the world outnumber us extremists probably 50-1.
Old 05-01-16, 07:52 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

I agree there is no choice between Ti and steel except person preference...and I am not without that plenty of that. If I were OP, I wouldn't buy any new steel that wasn't stainless. I am just not industrious enough to care for my steel bike in a way to prevent corrosion long term.

But really the bottom line is that I am completely happy with my Ti frame. I own old steel and have a nostalgic attachment to it, but would never buy steel again. Moots and Seven may make fine frames, but the pricing is outrageous and assuming someone who asks which material to buy is after the crème-de-la-crème is a little silly. Right in the center of the Ti market is Lynskey, and no one does it better as far as actual product outcomes are concerned. Bling is a whole other story.

Originally Posted by BillyD
OP, this is blown WAY WAY out of proportion. The reality is that unless you frequently ride in heavy rain or you leave your bike outside in the rain (which only an idiot would do) there is virtually no chance of rust or corrosion occurring with steel for decades. IF then.

On the contrary. Many normal people can find everlasting contentment in just one bike for the rest of their lives. It's only the fanatical members of this forum who can't find satisfaction owning just one bike, but most of the members of this forum are extremists when it comes to cycling anyway. The number of moderate cyclists in the world outnumber us extremists probably 50-1.
You are right about both things. I didn't mean the steel would asplode from rust, but rather that little rusty nicks and scratches would aggravate me until I had the bike repainted. Just the way I am. My steel bikes get nicked, and I get them repainted about every ten years or so. As for the one bike for a lifetime thing, well you are correct, but consider that OP did post on the 41. So which data set do you think you should put him in?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-01-16, 08:12 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
There's no steel half as pretty as brushed titanium. My opinion, of course.
Old 05-01-16, 08:53 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
There's no steel half as pretty as brushed titanium. My opinion, of course.
My opinion differs; I prefer polished lugged stainless steel.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 05-01-16, 09:25 AM
BoomerTheWeim

Bikes: Kish

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems like the price of the Lynskey TI frame is less expensive than a Moots. Whats the difference besides the price?
Old 05-01-16, 09:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,604 Times in 3,467 Posts
As for the one bike for a lifetime thing, well you are correct, but consider that OP did post on the 41. So which data set do you think you should put him in?
Well it's not a prison sentence. He doesn't have to soak in ALL the madness. I, for one, only own 3 bikes. It would only be two, but I can't bring myself around to get rid of my first-ever bike.
Old 05-01-16, 09:42 AM
rpenmanparker 

Well it's not a prison sentence. He doesn't have to soak in ALL the madness. I, for one, only own 3 bikes. It would only be two, but I can't bring myself around to get rid of my first-ever bike.
This story sounds awfully familiar. Oh yeah, me too.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 05-01-16 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 09:48 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Having ridden both, I would say go Ti. However, if price is a consideration, I think it is possible to get a nicer steel frame for the money than Ti, although Lynskey is really changing that industry dynamic. My garage has two Ti mtb's, a steel roadie, and a steel gravel bike. Only think I am missing is a Ti road disc bike (R240... want badly).

If I had the dough, it would be a moots I was after, for sure.
Old 05-01-16, 10:06 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
Having ridden both, I would say go Ti. However, if price is a consideration, I think it is possible to get a nicer steel frame for the money than Ti, although Lynskey is really changing that industry dynamic. My garage has two Ti mtb's, a steel roadie, and a steel gravel bike. Only think I am missing is a Ti road disc bike (R240... want badly).

If I had the dough, it would be a moots I was after, for sure.
I would have said "Salsa Warbird Ti" but they seem to no longer make it.
Old 05-01-16, 11:57 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
...assuming someone who asks which material to buy is after the crème-de-la-crème is a little silly. ...
I think its normal. Guys at the cigar lounge that might ride 2X a year lay down $15K for the best bike all the time so they can talk about it. Still less expensive than their cars or girlfriends. Not saying that is the OP profile, but I don't see the crème-de-la-crème going to the racers.
Old 05-01-16, 12:27 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
it's all about materials. Anything steel can do, Ti can do better.
Actually, it's not about the materials, it's about the geometry and fit. OP - I'd be looking for the geometry that you want and then give some though to the material.

I choose steel over Ti, and my Ti is a Merlin, so no slouch. My steel is a classic old skool Bridgestone, very nimble, a great ride.

Op, honestly, you won't go wrong picking either material imo.
Exactly. Because it isn't about the material.

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Buy the bike that rides the best, and makes you want to ride it. If your budget includes being able to buy a Moots, then the world is your oyster, there's a lot of amazing steel and Ti bikes to choose from within that budget!
Yep.

If you are looking for a "forever" bike, and you know what you want explicitly and can describe it, then a custom frame is a great option. I had a custom stainless frame made for me (I have unique fit problems). Bike comes in at 16.3 lbs ready to ride. In that case, it's a *lot* easier to find a steel frame builder (and there are many that are excellent). Stainless has pretty much all the maintenance benefits of Ti but it is easier to build. If you already have a bike, then you can get the frame and just move the components.

J.
Old 05-01-16, 12:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Doge
I think its normal. Guys at the cigar lounge that might ride 2X a year lay down $15K for the best bike all the time so they can talk about it. Still less expensive than their cars or girlfriends. Not saying that is the OP profile, but I don't see the crème-de-la-crème going to the racers.
I wasn't saying that. I was suggesting that starting the conversation at the top of the market was a bit silly.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-01-16, 01:50 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
ever since i got the new Litespeed my other bike just stays in the garage.. and i really like that simple schwinn peloton. still getting the fit right on the new bike so that may have something to do with it.. trying to get a lower position, blah blah blah, but when the thing locks in its like really really fun... so for a fun bike that you dont have to worry with.. meaning i can clean my up in a matter of seconds with a plege furn polish.. there is the whole weird ride quality of ti.. i like a lot more then my alum bike.. infact i can pretty much say right now... i will never own another bike unless this frame fails... i have no interest in carbon.. or even another steel bike... i dont think i even want another ti bike.. that kinda contentment is rare.. in cycling ... so i would go Ti.. what ever brand or builder you choose... moots is great but if i had a choice on any thing.. i would go custom Ti.. from some bespoke builder.. that would be great fun to be in on the build process.. some little frame house that makes very very few a year..
Old 05-01-16, 01:59 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If I was forced to choose one frame to ride for the rest of my life and would never be allowed to buy another I would choose titanium. I would probably try to find a mint Litespeed Ultimate.

Old 05-01-16, 02:28 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Actually, it's not about the materials, it's about the geometry and fit. OP - I'd be looking for the geometry that you want and then give some though to the material.
my quote was a response to a post about getting the fit, and all the options the OP wants.

A custom frame builder can give you what you want, just choose the material.

FTR, I work with a builder that uses CF, but he's also built prototypes using titanium, magnesium, steel, and bamboo.
Old 05-01-16, 02:30 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
If I was forced to choose one frame to ride for the rest of my life and would never be allowed to buy another I would choose titanium. I would probably try to find a mint Litespeed Ultimate.

I concur.

Thankfully I don't have to make that choice.
Old 05-01-16, 02:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

I don't disagree with the choice of Ti. I would stick with my Merlin Works CR however. It is superb.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-01-16, 02:31 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
You may like a steel touring bike, very affordable and rides...well around the world if you want to.
Old 05-01-16, 02:50 PM
92Esquire

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMHO, it needs yellow bar tape and head set, but yes, I could get on board with that choice.
Old 05-01-16, 04:26 PM
kbarch

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is why I don't want a "forever" bike. They're so serious, purposeful and prudent looking. They make me think of lecturing greybeards and century-riding grandmas. I may be old enough for one, but I'm still too new.
Old 05-01-16, 05:46 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
my quote was a response to a post about getting the fit, and all the options the OP wants.

A custom frame builder can give you what you want, just choose the material.

FTR, I work with a builder that uses CF, but he's also built prototypes using titanium, magnesium, steel, and bamboo.
I guess that's coming at it from a different angle, but I agree. The materials do not define the performance of the bike, it's the fit, geometry and design that do. Materials are way down the list. The way to go about the process is decide what you want the bike to do functionally and then let the builder design it.

J.
Old 05-01-16, 06:01 PM
lightspree

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might be interested in looking at 953 stainless. I've seen some absolutely beautiful lugged stainless bikes. Waterford is one possibility. IF is another.

Titanium is great too, but it scratches much more easily. It is softer than people think. If you look at the engineering tables, and compare titanium with 953, it's hard not to be very impressed by 953's numbers. Way harder and, as I recall, way tougher as well.

Someone on another thread has ridden a lugged 953 bike for the past six years is very happy with it, expects to have it for a long time to come, and said, "Reynolds hit a home run with 953."

Last edited by lightspree; 05-01-16 at 06:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.