Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 11:48 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Apparently staying on topic is irrelevant and optional.

Unsubscribed. Won't read anything else in the thread. Thanks for teaching me about the "ignore" button. I had to go look for it since it was mentioned.

Nice thing you are teaching folks. Hope your evening gets better.
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Mods was asked to close the thread. Not sure why it is still going since it is not helpful to me and went way off topic.

Getting hit with double standards again.

Please close thread.
You said you were done here, which is fine, but a thread is like a topic that is opened to the public for discussion. Even if you are done with the conversation there may be others who want to participate.
It's a big board. Just go find threads you enjoy and have fun.
Old 08-18-19, 05:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You said you were done here, which is fine, but a thread is like a topic that is opened to the public for discussion. Even if you are done with the conversation there may be others who want to participate.
Too bad he left. He missed the opportunity to learn that you cannot make a post asking the mods to close a thread and expect it to work every time because the mods don't read every post in every thread. No one has that much time.

Anyhoo...At least we get a break--for now.
Old 08-18-19, 06:36 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Too bad he left. He missed the opportunity to learn that you cannot make a post asking the mods to close a thread and expect it to work every time because the mods don't read every post in every thread. No one has that much time.

Anyhoo...At least we get a break--for now.
He might have better luck if he reported the thread to the mods and asked in that way, but really they shouldn't close a thread just because an OP says they are done with it. Threads take on a life of their own and may be of use to others. They should be closed only when they get too off topic, abusive, offensive, or otherwise don't comply with site policy. At least that is how I see it. The mods may have a different opinion and they have the last word.
Old 09-04-19, 04:42 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Perhaps this person's experience on a lengthy bicycle tour with a Solar battery/battery charging system that was manufactured by Voltaic might be useful to someone that may be finding this thread by way of a search because you had the same question. Now, do realize that the following was uploaded to YOUTUBE in early 2014, so there may be some improved solutions since that time.

The solutions presented above do allow for keeping your Laptop charged while you are away from civilization and an AC outlet.

Perhaps expensive and perhaps the solar panels required to keep up the Laptop will require that the rider have them mounted and worn in backpack fashion up on the rider's back. I'm just saying if such a system did perform adequately as needed during lengthy touring in 2013, then there is no reason why there should not be something available today that does the same or slightly better.
No jokes needed on the need for sunshine, as everybody knows that for such a solar battery system to function properly, it has to, as the 5th Dimension hit from long ago said, it has to: Let The Sun Shine In........
.....If there were only 50 Ways To Keep Your Power.....just get on the bike mike, you don't need a trike, right................
Old 09-05-19, 03:01 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Not true. I saw a thread closed by OP request (first site where I've heard of that) just the other day.
Old 09-05-19, 03:32 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My family wanted to switch to Boost. Not sure how the deal works but we have 4 lines for $100 a month. I got a Moto E4 plus. Good camera. The thing is almost too big for me, but it has been a good phone. I think it cost 25 or 30 bucks because we switched to them.
Old 09-05-19, 09:01 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not true. I saw a thread closed by OP request (first site where I've heard of that) just the other day.
Yep. This Op asked for a couple of his to be closed but he is now banned. I think, in the end, he didn't understand how a forum operated.
Old 09-05-19, 09:02 AM
staehpj1

That doesn't mean it is a slam dunk. My best guess is that the mods might consider a request and close or not close at their option. Requesting it via a post to the thread is way less likely to get results than requesting it directly of the mods whether it comes from the OP or someone else if for no other reason than that they may not even see it if in a thread.
Old 09-05-19, 09:13 AM
staehpj1

Yep. This Op asked for a couple of his to be closed but he is now banned. I think, in the end, he didn't understand how a forum operated.
I hadn't noticed the banning since he was on my ignore list. I was never sure if he was yanking our collective chains or actually was serious in all the stuff he posted.
Old 09-05-19, 06:51 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I hadn't noticed the banning since he was on my ignore list. I was never sure if he was yanking our collective chains or actually was serious in all the stuff he posted.
I never think in those terms so it makes it hard to spot. I can't imagine wasting so much energy for no real purpose.
Old 09-06-19, 06:26 AM
staehpj1

I never think in those terms so it makes it hard to spot. I can't imagine wasting so much energy for no real purpose.
On the other hand I also have a hard time imagining some folks thinking the way they claim to in their posts. I guess that is why there is an ignore button.
Old 09-22-19, 03:13 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
I saw part of one of those half hour info-mercials on the SMARTECH. It sells for 3 x $39.99 plus $19.99 shipping & handling. There is also what appears to be an el-cheapo LED headband headlamp (similar to one that you probably can buy at Harbour Freight for $3). You pay a separate shipping/handling fee of $8.99 to receive the "free" el-cheapo LED headband headlamp.
This SMARTECH unit is a 12,000 milliamp rechargeable Lithium ion batterypack that FUNCTIONS AS AN AUTOMOBILE BATTERY BOOSTER-JUMP START BOX ( I might be wrong but I think they state that it will function for vehicles with an engine size of about 5.0 LITERS or less ) Five liters cubic inch displacement = approx 302 to 304 cubic inches.
This SMARTECH unit is said to recharge laptop batteries and tablets and phones and other items.
There is a supplied AIR COMPRESSOR PUMP that will inflate car and bicycle tires.
If you view Swaggy C's youtube review, you shall see that it does indeed do a decent job of inflating a bicycle tire. Swaggy is inflating the front tire of his SPECIALIZED bicycle. What you will notice though, is that the length of time that it takes to inflate the tire...................THE INFOMERCIAL "fibs" and makes it seem that you can inflate a car tire in just several seconds. Expect it to probably take closer to 100 seconds or more for an automobile tire, and you can see that Swaggy's attempt at inflating the front tire on his SPECIALIZED bicycle probably took about 25 seconds.
It appears that this SMARTECH unit or something compareable would be worth having if one will do any touring, or to simply have in the car on a camping trip. Now, is this unit, a better or "smarter" package than having just individual COMPRESSOR AIR PUMP, BATTERY BOOSTER JUMP PACK, and a ELECTRONICS CHARGING DEVICE...........................I do NOT know. I simply saw part of the Info-Mercial...........I DO NOT OWN THE SMARTECH. ..................Just curious if anyone has any experience with it or something very similar.
It might be a very useful product IF THE FUNCTIONALITY IS AS GOOD AS THE Info-Mercial leads us to believe, BUT WE ALL HAVE SEEN SO MANY OF THESE 'As Seen On TV' Products that just don't typically do as much as the hype suggests.

Two different YOUTUBE owner reviews, honestly and charmingly fumbling through and demonstrating the positive useful aspects of this neat little package:
(StephanieOver50 REVIEW

(Swaggy C REVIEW

I purposely did not include the manufacturer's SMARTECH info-mercial here because you probably can find it or an older edit of it on YOUTUBE if you want to see it. My guess is that you might see it while flipping channels between now and late Nov.
Here is the tel # that appeared on the TV screen upon its latest airing on SUN Sept 22, 2019..................800-291-5207....................https//www.getpowerkit.com
Old 09-23-19, 12:34 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
It appears that this SMARTECH unit or something compareable would be worth having if one will do any touring, ...
It appears you'd need to devote a pannier to carry it.

It's overkill for bicycle touring.

If you "need" it, you are probably carrying too much crap.
Old 09-24-19, 08:57 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It appears you'd need to devote a pannier to carry it.

It's overkill for bicycle touring.

If you "need" it, you are probably carrying too much crap.
If someone wants to carry a bunch of electronics, that's on them. I'm sure I carry more junk than a lot of people, but not as much as some. But this device is basically a battery with some attachments of dubious use to a touring cyclist. Sure, an air compressor would be handy once in a while, but if you're using it enough to justify carrying it, you probably have some tire issues to address. I have considered a small, battery powered, air compressor for some biking and tubing trips I've been doing, but for touring? Bring a pump. Bring a light. Have a headlight. And, if you need one, bring a battery to keep your stuff charged. But if you're carrying an air compressor and jumper cables, you might want to re-examine your gear choices.
Old 10-24-19, 02:36 PM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, this dude went to another internet comment forum and pulled the same things that got him banned here, and in addition has begun to start to threaten physical harm to users and other tourists on the bicycletouring sub. I was personally targeted in his threats, and I have reported this person to the local and federal authorities, and I encourage anyone who experienced anything like this threatening behavior from the OP in private messages or forum posts here on Bike Forums to do the same. This person has a serious problem, and I am convinced it will end in a violent act.
Old 10-25-19, 07:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by robyr
So, this dude went to another internet comment forum...
Which one?
Old 10-25-19, 10:57 AM
robyr
Car-free in the South

Bikes: Surly Pack Rat, Novara Trionfo retro-mod

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Starts with "R" and ends with "eddit" on the bicycletouring forum. If you want a link to his recent thread, just PM me. He also appears to think I am you, or something? I dunno, he thinks one of the users here "got him kicked off" Bike Forums, and despite myself having zero interaction with him at all in his delusions here. He has been messaging me threats directly since yesterday morning. I have reached out to the Denver FBI field office due to the personal and direct threats, even going so far as to threaten to "dox" me and listing random personal details in private messages there (it should be noted, I have a very public web presence, its not exactly hard to do these things, but the efforts lend credence to a serious mental issue in my opinion) . He is clearly either dangerous or capable of being dangerous to others.

Last edited by robyr; 10-25-19 at 11:01 AM.