Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

What Type of Rider Am I?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

What Type of Rider Am I?

Old 08-29-19, 07:57 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
What Type of Rider Am I?

Based on my power curve below, what phenotype do you think I am? Also, I heard something about where the power curve levels out then drops shows a change in energy systems - could anyone clarify this for me? Are there any other insights into this power curve that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-19, 09:20 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
Depends
Old 08-29-19, 10:45 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
Based on my power curve below, what phenotype do you think I am? Also, I heard something about where the power curve levels out then drops shows a change in energy systems - could anyone clarify this for me? Are there any other insights into this power curve that I should be aware of?

Thanks!
What is your weight? As a racer, winning matters more.
Old 08-29-19, 10:48 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles

Thanks!
Power is about what an elite 15 year old 130# can do. Really good for 50+
Old 08-30-19, 07:58 AM
Psychocycles

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
27 years old, race weight 168 lbs, normal weight 172ish, 5'-11" height, below is w/kg chart. I started racing this season in April and have won 5 races so far, top 3 in all races but 5, top 10 in all rest but 1 (out of 14). I raced with Cat 1s and domestic pros a few weeks ago in an age group hilly/mountainous RR and found my limiter was my weight meant I was going in the red every climb where the climbers were just doing threshold and after 35 miles they attacked and I was dropped. I knew this coming in, as I'm about 20+ lbs overweight for a mountainous RR but wanted to see how I'd do anyway.

I think I know my rider type but as I'm new to riding with power & racing (both within the past year), I'm not 100% sure I know how to interpret my power chart. Appreciate any insights, and training directions I should go in (should I train my limiters or should I focus on my strengths so as to make them very strong?) Currently Cat 4, one race win away from Cat 3, goal is Cat 1 by 2021-2.

Last edited by Psychocycles; 08-30-19 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For Psychocycles:
Old 08-30-19, 08:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The web articles that came out back in the day talking about "climbers" and "sprinters" and "roullers" and all this stuff really missed the mark with the target audience. The average joe amateur racer need not worry about any of that stuff.

The best indicator of performance is performance itself, meaning..........do you win, do you stay up front or with the main group, get dropped to a slower group, do you fall all the way off and head back to your car?

Instead, consider what event(s) you're going to do. Think about what kind of efforts and energy systems those events use or demand. Then within some time before the event, transition your workouts to the ones that are good for that event.

It wouldn't do me any good to think I'm a "climber" or a "breakaway person" or something. I'm a hobby riding schmuck. Those things matter to upper level teams and organizations.

You can track your data while doing specific workouts and planning for a race, sure. But I wouldn't look at that curve and pigeon hole yourself into a way of thinking and executing your work.

FYI, I posted this same thing a few years back when I read about "rider types" online.
Old 08-30-19, 08:44 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Those are pretty solid all around numbers for an amateur; since you have a good sprint that's going to get you on the podium more than the other strengths in your curve.

For 80% of the races you'll do your weight isn't going to hold you back and if you lose weight you'll lose that sprint which is going to get you to Cat 1 fastest.

For your weight issue I'd just focus on eating cleaner but I wouldn't actively try to lose weight. Lots of protein and enough carbs to fuel your rides.
Old 08-30-19, 11:04 AM
cmh

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
You have strong power numbers, and you have race wins to back it up. As said by others, don't worry about what type of rider you are, just keep training well, and race all you can. You should be able to move quickly to Cat 3, and probably even quickly to Cat 2. Enjoy the time moving up through the ranks. Once you hit Cat 2 you may be mediocre like most of us, or maybe you'll continue to get stronger and smarter and you'll get to Cat 1 where you are likely to be mediocre. Have fun and post here about your progress.
Old 08-30-19, 01:20 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
I live in North Texas. If one is a climber, well, better to race in a different part of the country. I started off thinking "I'm just a sprinter" (for my level). But you know, it's fun to do other stuff like getting in breakaways. If one as a 330w FTP, at the Cat 4 level, you can probably just TT solo for wins.