Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

front rack?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

front rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 02:37 AM
Collie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
front rack?

so i'm stuck between buying a low-rider front rack like the tubus tara or a front rack with a top shelf like the jandd extreme front rack.

i'm wondering if the ortlieb front roller classic panniers are compatible with the jandd front extreme rack?
if it is great, cos i like the option of mounting the panniers high or low on the jandd front extreme rack

any advice?

is the jandd compatible with the ortlieb pannier?

pro's and cons' of front lowrider v's front topshelf?
Old 03-01-07, 02:44 AM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Collie

pro's and cons' of front lowrider v's front topshelf?

Run a search in the forum. I, and many others, have asked this very question many times.
Old 03-01-07, 03:57 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think Otliebs and most paniers will fit most racks particularly this one. But I haven't done this particular combination.

I agree with the above observation also, about the high low rack threads.

Another similar rack is the Surly front rack.
Old 03-01-07, 05:01 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I prefer a front rack with a shelf and the potential to be able to mount the panniers high. I normally mount them on the lowrider rack, but on one tour the weather was super crappy and with the panniers mounted low they were getting totally soaked, so raised them up and it helped. I did both road and expedition touring on the same bike for a while, with the low it helped stability, with the load high I had the ground clearance I needed. I also like the front rack for being able to strap a light load on in a pinch, like a big bag of TP when I go to the store.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-01-07, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
I think Otliebs and most paniers will fit most racks particularly this one. But I haven't done this particular combination.

I agree with the above observation also, about the high low rack threads.

Another similar rack is the Surly front rack.
Looking at the rack, it doesn't look like there would be problems.

Personally, I'm not a fan of high mount racks. I just don't find them that useful. All of the gear I carry...which is considerable...fits in both bags and the rear deck. I also carry a handle bar bag which would interfere with stuff on the front rack. Since you are using Ortliebs, water isn't an issue, unless you are riding in water over your hubs...then the bags become float bags
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-07, 09:00 AM
Collie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no specific need for one front rack style over another. I am just trying to think what might best suit.
my thoughts are that the lowrider immediately restricts the height at which the front panniers can be mounted. where-as, what i like about the top shelf design, the topshelf style gives you the option to mount the panniers higher or lower and also the option to carry a light load on the shelf!

my plan is to buy the ortlieb roller classics, front and back, and a tubus logo rear rack.
i was going to buy the tubus tara but now i am thinking of getting the surly nice front rack (very pricey though) or the jannd extreme front rack.

so you folks reckon that the ortlieb front roller panniers should fit fine on the jannd extreme front rack?

should i be getting steel racks, like the tubus, or is aluminium good for the job of touring?
Old 03-01-07, 09:31 AM
cmarkey
Je suis un ananas!

Bikes: Surly LHT, K2 Mach 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They will definitely fit. I have the Ortlieb front roller classics and the Jandd extreme front rack. I've had no problems with the fit.
Old 03-01-07, 09:37 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have used an Old Man Mountain Cold Springs front rack with a bag lashed to it containing all my tools and spare parts. I also used a handle bar bag and there was no interference between the two.

I really liked that setup as it allowed me to run just two rear panniers and get a bunch of the weight up front without resorting to two more panniers. I had no adverse handling issues with the weight on top of the front rack.

Whatever setup you go with be sure to test it out with your full touring load and see how you like it prior to a major tour.
Old 03-01-07, 09:50 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
yes, get the one with the shelf. like others have mentioned, much more versatile & the orts fit fine.
Old 03-01-07, 11:17 AM
Lolly Pop

Bikes: Gardin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my plan is to buy the ortlieb roller classics, front and back, and a tubus logo rear rack.
i was going to buy the tubus tara but now i am thinking of getting the surly nice front rack (very pricey though) or the jannd extreme front rack.
I have the surly front and love the shelf. Also the tubus logo. Here's a pic from my first solo tour last summer. Note the soft-shell lunch box atop the front rack!

Old 03-01-07, 01:52 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I have no specific need for one front rack style over another. I am just trying to think what might best suit.
my thoughts are that the lowrider immediately restricts the height at which the front panniers can be mounted. where-as, what i like about the top shelf design, the topshelf style gives you the option to mount the panniers higher or lower and also the option to carry a light load on the shelf!

so you folks reckon that the ortlieb front roller panniers should fit fine on the jannd extreme front rack?

should i be getting steel racks, like the tubus, or is aluminium good for the job of touring?
I don't have anything against something like the Jannd. I, personally, just haven't found much need for the front deck. But I don't need excess capacity while on tour because my bags aren't completely full. Looking at Lolly Pop's set up, I also use regular road bars which decrease the utility of the upper shelf even more. Her's is nice and looks very useful but I don't like flat bars for touring.

I also like the way that the Tara looks
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-07, 04:23 PM
Tom808

Bikes: Dahon Presto, Trek MTB, Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind the Jandd front rack is heavy. I purchased one when I picked up my Jandd rear rack. They are both very sturdy pieces of equipment. The rear rack is working great for me, but the front rack seemed heavy and awkward. Also, the back of the front rack hit my downtube when the fork was turned at extreme angles. Not a problem when riding, but is a problem when maneuvering the bike in tight quarters.

I ended up taking it off and saving it for when I do my “big” tour someday. For day to day use, I bought a $10 bor yuen from Nashbar which meets my needs quite nicely.
Old 03-01-07, 05:25 PM
banthevan

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Raleigh Elan, Raleigh M-Trax 600, Raleigh custom ATB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Cannondale T800 with Tubus Tara front rack loaded with Ortlieb Front Roller Plus panniers:-

I cycled round all the north Seattle bike shops & eventually found a front rack that would fit at Greggs Greenlake. They also had a Jandd in but it appeared a bit bulky compared to the simplistic Tara (which can be dismantled & stored flat if required!). I'm really happy with it & the bags. I nearly bought some Blackburn low-riders (braze-on) over from England but I'm glad I didn't; they wouldn't have fit well, if at all, and the bracing arch of the Tara does keep the bags very steady.
Old 03-01-07, 05:41 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by banthevan
Here's my Cannondale T800 with Tubus Tara front rack loaded with Ortlieb Front Roller Plus panniers:-

I cycled round all the north Seattle bike shops & eventually found a front rack that would fit at Greggs Greenlake. They also had a Jandd in but it appeared a bit bulky compared to the simplistic Tara (which can be dismantled & stored flat if required!). I'm really happy with it & the bags. I nearly bought some Blackburn low-riders (braze-on) over from England but I'm glad I didn't; they wouldn't have fit well, if at all, and the bracing arch of the Tara does keep the bags very steady.
The Ortliebs don't fit on the old Blackburn racks either. There's a brace across the top the interferes with the Ortlieb hooks...at least on my mid-80's ones.

Old 03-01-07, 09:29 PM
meteparozzi

Bikes: Custom True North

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom808
Keep in mind the Jandd front rack is heavy. I purchased one when I picked up my Jandd rear rack. They are both very sturdy pieces of equipment. The rear rack is working great for me, but the front rack seemed heavy and awkward. Also, the back of the front rack hit my downtube when the fork was turned at extreme angles. Not a problem when riding, but is a problem when maneuvering the bike in tight quarters.
Had one and traded it in for this same reason. Scratched my paint several times before I noticed - though mainly from klutzes who hit my bike parking theirs, and one accident where the handlebars got spun completely around.

I also found that it wasn't suited to an oversized fork at all, as it matched the rake of my fork almost perfectly and scratched some of the paint there.

I would say try it on the bike first if you can, just to see how it fits.
Old 03-02-07, 09:45 AM
Collie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so i had a look at the following manufacturers:
Surly
Jandd
Tubus
Old Mountain
Headland (I think these are Old Mountain racks)

anyway they all have something to offer, some expensive, some heavy, some croMoly.

Has anyone ever had to repair an aluminium rack on tour?

i like the idea of going with steel racks (Tubus,Surly) but have folks really ever broken their aluminium racks?

Tubus surly is out, too expensive.
jandd is a contenter because of the price and the top shelf front rack
tubus is a contender because of its reputation and the rear rack is nice and clean
old mountain is out, too expensive
so too is headland, too expensive.

so i'm down to this:

Rear:
Jandd Expedition Rack
Tubus Logo Expedition
Tubus Cargo

Front:
Jandd Extreme Front Rack
Jandd Low Front Rack
Tubus Tara

I'd buy the Logo over the Cargo because of the build, it looks stronger/more durable.
The Jandd Expedition Rack is $30 or so cheaper than the Logo, but it's heavier too.

I'd buy the Tubus Tara over the Jandd Low Front Rack, because of it's reputation.
But I would choose the Jandd Extreme Front Rack because of the topshelf, eventhough it is much heavier
than the lowrider style.

please confirm my thoughts or advise me otherwise : )

looking forward to your replies!

Collie
Old 03-02-07, 10:18 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I have a touring bike outfitted with BOTH a jannd lowrider and a bor yueh front rack from Nashbar. I also bought the (Jannd) front rack at Gregg's Greenlake in Seattle- (for great rides shop at Gregg's)

lightish, lighter than the jannd extreme, i'm betting. (does it matter while fully loaded?), no clearance issues.

I really like the advantage of a front deck while touring. I can strip off my gloves, jacket, while riding and stuff them under a bungie on the front rack, hold a newspaper picked up in the morning for reading later in the day, a bag of lunch foods or food from the store without having to stuff it in the panniers....

the top shelf greatly adds versatility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dualieracks.jpg (94.4 KB, 76 views)