Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fall, October, the best.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fall, October, the best.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 02:26 AM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fall, October, the best.

Tonight was the first genuinely comfortable ride home I've had since late May.

For the past four months, all my ride to and from work have warm, at or above body temperature. This was the hottest summer on record. Keep in mind, we're talking about the hottest summer on record for Tucson, Arizona, not Rockester, NY or Wyoming.
Most times, I'm heading off to work at 9:30 a.m. and heading home around 7 p.m. My bike computer keeps track of and temperature. During most of the summer, I'd head out and note the temp reading, watching it steadily climb during the 1/2 hour ride to work. One late June day, I remember it reading 116 as I arrived at work. I don't sweat much during the ride, but once I stop moving and park my bike, my pores open up. I can then look forward to spending the next 8 or 9 hours covered in a layer of my own funk.

There's something disheartening about spending four months in a constant state of dehydration. You can drink all you want, but when the temps are that high, your body can't radiate it's heat outward. It's the environmental heat that raises the body temp further. Hydration is a losing battle at best.
In cold conditions, you can cover up to conserve heat. You can ride faster, put out more energy to generate more heat. But during desert summers, ultimately you can only get naked. Not practical, much less enough to even things out.
But tonight, the temps were in the mid 80's. Riding through the air actually cooled me off, a sensation I hadn't experienced for well over 100 days.

During October, it will only improve. The cooling down in October seems more satisfying than the warming up in March. When you come out of the bitter cold and into the heat, it's experienced as a gradual lessening of the suffering. Once you hit the heat, you aren't immediately warm. The warming process is actually kind of painful, pain you go through to get to a certain specific endpoint of comfort.
But when you come out of the heat and get cooled, the satisfaction is immediate. The very first instant of cooling puts you in a state of ease through and through. The process of cooling is savored.

And October is a full 31 days of this satisfyingly steady cooling process being repeated. Here's to a long, cold winter.

Stay cool,
Old 09-30-11, 07:18 AM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen. I was so incredibly happy when the heat dome over Oklahoma and Texas broke. 90 degrees at 7AM is just obscene.
Old 09-30-11, 08:24 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The two of you, and several other year-round-commuters in the south and southwest are convincing me more and more that this state sucks as far as weather goes. It has been a cold, rainy september; temps in the 40s-50s most days when I am riding, 13/15 of the last rides were raining and windy. I even told my husband that someday I want to be a snowbird. I'll take your chilly winters over -20 F winters anytime.
Enjoy your cool, I'll be here crabbing, because October is sure to be even wetter and colder. I don't mind dry cold so much, but when it's wet... yuck.
Old 09-30-11, 09:12 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely love October & November for commuting. Unfortunately for Ohioans, next comes December, January & February (and this past year March).
Old 09-30-11, 09:18 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's already getting too cold for me even here but then I'm originally from Australia.
Old 09-30-11, 09:47 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i absolutely LOVE temps in the 50s for commuting. i'd say 50-55 degrees is my perfect zone for riding. wam enough to not be cold, yet cool enough to not be a complete sweaty mess by the time i get to work.

october pretty much rules!
Old 09-30-11, 10:14 AM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
i absolutely LOVE temps in the 50s for commuting. i'd say 50-55 degrees is my perfect zone for riding. wam enough to not be cold, yet cool enough to not be a complete sweaty mess by the time i get to work.

october pretty much rules!
Hear, hear!

As another Chicagoan who is enjoying these temps, I've got to say that it's nice when humidity is around 30%. I don't sweat nearly as much, and if I do, it's dry enough outside that it will soon evaporate.

Though, that means I'll soon be scouting out deals on balaclavas and lobster claw gloves.
Old 09-30-11, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Fall has always been my favorite time of the year. Not just for cycling but for all other outdoor activities.
Old 09-30-11, 04:51 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yeah, October weather is awesome.

Old 09-30-11, 11:14 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ratchet
The two of you, and several other year-round-commuters in the south and southwest are convincing me more and more that this state sucks as far as weather goes. It has been a cold, rainy september; temps in the 40s-50s most days when I am riding, 13/15 of the last rides were raining and windy. I even told my husband that someday I want to be a snowbird. I'll take your chilly winters over -20 F winters anytime.
Enjoy your cool, I'll be here crabbing, because October is sure to be even wetter and colder. I don't mind dry cold so much, but when it's wet... yuck.
Being a snowbird is the way to do it in Tucson. October through mid-May is fine. But keep in mind, June through September is, well, see my original post. Claims of perfect "year round cycling" are highly misleading, because you hear them most often during times when the rest of the country is in the grip of winter.
Old 10-01-11, 11:08 AM
Mult47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually change into biking shorts & a t-shirt for my ride home because I hate sweating like a dog in street clothes. Yesterday, I just rolled up the cuffs of my shirt, clipped my right pants leg & took off. Hardly broke a sweat & enjoyed the ride immensely.
Old 10-01-11, 11:42 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I was born in October and fall really is my favourite season... part of it must stem from knowing that it could snow any day and one really appreciates every sunny day you get.

The mornings are crisp and with the temperature hovering around freezing it is too cold for my daughters to ride to school but by the afternoon they wish they had their bicycles as the it is once again shorts weather. Our evenings are also quite pleasant as one can stay out quite late before you need to throw on a sweater or a jacket.

It has been unusually warm through September and this is when we saw our hottest temperatures of the summer and hope October brings us more sunny days... winter can wait a little longer.

I guess it is also nice to be as warm as you want to be... could not handle southern temperatures and will keep our winter and cold thank you very much.
Old 10-01-11, 11:49 AM
mgw189

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had almost 17" of rain here in Upstate NY (Binghamton Area) in Sept most of it falling since Sept 10th.
Old 10-02-11, 07:37 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice cool day in the 50s. No sweat at all after riding! Just wish it would dry out.
Old 10-03-11, 07:15 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm digging the fall weather too. Our summers are not nearly as hot in NC, but much more humid. We had 3 solid months of weather when the highs were 90-100+ nearly every day, but the hot spell finally broke here in mid-August. The past month has been close to long-term averages, but it felt cool compared to the rest of summer, and we also have had a ton of rain lately. My mileage was way off in September due to all of the rain.
Old 10-03-11, 10:18 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I'm loving it too. My convertible pants are great this time of year when they temperature changes enough during the day to go back and forth from shorts, and the crowds on the MUP have already dropped off.