Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fluid Replacement/ Recovery Drinks Recommendations

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 09:01 PM
HB2Baja

Bikes: Trance and Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
Just starting out on my first road bike. I am 51 y/o male in above average shape. I live in So Cal and can cycle almost all year.
I plan on keeping my rides around 2-3 hours at a time to start with.

Any recommendations on a recovery drink powder that I can consume while riding?

Thanks,
E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Defy-Advanced-1-White.jpg (96.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-18-15, 09:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Water.

If the ride is hot, you might want to pay attention to your electrolyte consumption. Salted almonds are high in electrolytes, you could munch a few of those at the halfway point, or you might want to use electrolyte tablets.

On longer rides you could put together a mixture of maltodextrin (found at your local beer and wine making shop) and potassium salt (half salt, lite salt), and whatever additional flavourings you prefer.

Otherwise water will do just fine.

Last edited by Machka; 02-18-15 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 09:14 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Anything that doesn't bother your stomach, at about half the recommended strength.

At 2-3 hours water and a couple hundred calories of anything should be fine provided you don't start out malnourished or severely dehydrated. If you sweat profusely Gatorade or a salt tab might make sense.
Old 02-18-15, 09:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Are you sure you want a recovery drink while you ride? I mean, there are formulations that offer carbs in addition to electrolytes, which would seem more suited to on-bike consumption.

either way, look at the Hammer products. I use Heed during rides, and really like it; lime flavor is quite good, and it really keeps me feeling energized. The only downside is that it can be a bit of work to fully dissolve.
Old 02-18-15, 09:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
There's an electrolyte that has been out there for decades, is cheap, and works very well. (And was developed by a biochemist/marathoner after he got sick on Gatorade and couldn't finish the '68 Olympic qualifier.) Vitalyte. $16 for an 80 serving/40 WB can. For getting those electrolytes back in hot weather and keeping them down, there's nothing better. Also tastes better/cleaner than many of its competitors. To find it, try REI on line.

Ben
Old 02-18-15, 11:46 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You probably don't need to worry about electrolytes at all for a 2-3 hour ride, and you'll just be ingesting calories you may not want. Consider using just water. Your diet likely has all the salt you'll ever need even including your riding.

I'll drop some dissolving nuun tablets (camelbak Elixir seems to be similar) in the bottle if I'm going on a longer ride or the tap water tastes nasty. Tap water is always nasty in SoCal, so I tend to keep a tube of tablets in my jersey.

I'll start in on gatorade (or the equivalent, there are many) for rides that will be 5-6+ hours.
Old 02-19-15, 12:01 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
HEED is mild tasting and isn't bad for your teeth, unlike pretty much everything else.
Old 02-19-15, 12:03 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Recovery food is ideally carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio. The protein speeds up absorption of glycogen after a ride. It does very little during a ride, however, so there's no point in drinking a recovery drink during a ride.

Unless you're doing the 2-3 hr rides every day, i.e. 14-21 hrs/wk of training you probably don't need to worry about taking in anything during the ride or optimizing anything after the ride. Just eat a normal balanced diet and increase your carbs to compensate for the energy you burn while riding. Too many people get caught up in following guidelines developed for riders doing intensive training 15+ hrs/wk.

Once you're fit you shouldn't need any calories on the bike for a 3 hr ride. It won't hurt to take some in but it's not a big deal if you don't eat or drink any calories while riding. Afterwards, any replacement carbs plus a little protein should be fine. You don't need magic powders or concoctions. A bagel and some leftover chicken works just as well as an expensive recovery mix.
Old 02-19-15, 05:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Whoa, whoa. I'd suggest that anyone considering taking fueling advice from anyone in this thread seriously look into more learned sources first. To say I think a couple of the guys above are dead wrong is accurate, but I'm not an expert, so don't take my word for it, do some research.

I mean, sure, if you're just out there noodling around in mild temps for three hours, you can not eat or drink. If you're out there gettin' after it in any conditions and wanting to perform, you'll need energy. In hot weather, it's particularly critical.

So please, know that there are countervailing opinions to the advice given by the posters above.
Old 02-19-15, 05:38 AM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Scivation Extend is great product, replaces electrolytes and no calories, easy on stomach. I find the fizzy tabs such as Nuun don't go down so well. Scratch products are also highly regarded, I have not tried these.
Old 02-19-15, 06:03 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
What you drink isn't as important as how much you drink, and how much you drink varies among individuals and also varies for a given person depending on environmental factors. I usually stick with water at this time of year, about a bottle per hour. Where I live it's hot and humid half of the year, and my jersey is soaked with sweat even on easy rides, so I add electrolytes (Camelbak Elixir tabs) and up my intake to a bottle every 45 minutes. I reserve stuff like Gatorade for fast, hard group rides and races.

My recommendation would be start with a bottle of plain water/hour and adjust from there.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-19-15, 08:41 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There's an electrolyte that has been out there for decades, is cheap, and works very well. (And was developed by a biochemist/marathoner after he got sick on Gatorade and couldn't finish the '68 Olympic qualifier.) Vitalyte. $16 for an 80 serving/40 WB can. For getting those electrolytes back in hot weather and keeping them down, there's nothing better. Also tastes better/cleaner than many of its competitors. To find it, try REI on line.

Ben
Love that stuff. First started using it because I found that Gatoraide and Poweraide were too sweet and they both upset my stomach.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-19-15, 08:51 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Whoa, whoa. I'd suggest that anyone considering taking fueling advice from anyone in this thread seriously look into more learned sources first. To say I think a couple of the guys above are dead wrong is accurate, but I'm not an expert, so don't take my word for it, do some research.

I mean, sure, if you're just out there noodling around in mild temps for three hours, you can not eat or drink. If you're out there gettin' after it in any conditions and wanting to perform, you'll need energy. In hot weather, it's particularly critical.

So please, know that there are countervailing opinions to the advice given by the posters above.
You're talking about that guy in post #4 , right?
Old 02-19-15, 09:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by HB2Baja
Hi All,
Just starting out on my first road bike. I am 51 y/o male in above average shape. I live in So Cal and can cycle almost all year.
I plan on keeping my rides around 2-3 hours at a time to start with.

Any recommendations on a recovery drink powder that I can consume while riding?

Thanks,
E
Be careful.

"Recovery Drink" is something that is designed to drink AFTER a ride, not during.

For during a ride, any of the many electrolyte drinks are fine, as are water. I like cytomax but you should pick what tastes best.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-19-15, 10:40 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I agree with Chaadster, how much you need depends on how hard you are going and what the conditions are like. If you are just noodling around sightseeing in moderate temperature conditions, everybody saying "just water" is probably correct. But if you are riding hard in hot weather, going 2-3 hours on just water will leave you pretty depleted and probably with a massive headache. I prefer to keep my hydration and my nutrition separate so that I can adjust either one according to the conditions and how hard I am going. I like using Camelbak Elixir tablets in one bottle and water in the other. The Elixir tablets are similar to Nuun, but Nuun taste like warmed over cattle spit to me. They have electrolytes, but very little in the way of calories. If I am riding hard for 2-3 hours in warm conditions, I will use a gel or some other 100-150 calorie snack about once every 45-60 minutes to avoid bonking and drink about 1 to 1.5 bottles per hour.
Old 02-19-15, 11:17 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by txags92
I agree with Chaadster, how much you need depends on how hard you are going and what the conditions are like. If you are just noodling around sightseeing in moderate temperature conditions, everybody saying "just water" is probably correct. But if you are riding hard in hot weather, going 2-3 hours on just water will leave you pretty depleted and probably with a massive headache. I prefer to keep my hydration and my nutrition separate so that I can adjust either one according to the conditions and how hard I am going. I like using Camelbak Elixir tablets in one bottle and water in the other. The Elixir tablets are similar to Nuun, but Nuun taste like warmed over cattle spit to me. They have electrolytes, but very little in the way of calories. If I am riding hard for 2-3 hours in warm conditions, I will use a gel or some other 100-150 calorie snack about once every 45-60 minutes to avoid bonking and drink about 1 to 1.5 bottles per hour.
On long rides, I also separate out my electrolytes for the same reasons you give. For short rides of a couple hours I use HEED. But on longer rides I use plain water in one bottle, maltodextrin+whey protein in the other bottle, and Endurolytes in a coin purse.
Old 02-19-15, 11:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

He's not asking for advice on open heart surgery; and no one has told him anything drastic like don't drink any water during his ride. The worse that can happen is that his ride is not as productive as it could be. The thing is, a lot varies depending on the individual.

For a two hour ride he shouldn't need anything during the ride other than to stay hydrated. After that, you can add the different mixes and potions to the level that gets you to your maximum potential. I'd just start conservatively with water, and go from there.
Originally Posted by gregf83
Recovery food is ideally carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio. The protein speeds up absorption of glycogen after a ride. It does very little during a ride, however, so there's no point in drinking a recovery drink during a ride.

Once you're fit you shouldn't need any calories on the bike for a 3 hr ride. It won't hurt to take some in but it's not a big deal if you don't eat or drink any calories while riding. Afterwards, any replacement carbs plus a little protein should be fine. You don't need magic powders or concoctions. A bagel and some leftover chicken works just as well as an expensive recovery mix.
This.

Last edited by KraneXL; 02-19-15 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 11:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I should mention that I ride with people who put Hammer Recoverite in one water bottle and do very well on it. Recoverite is 3 carbs/1 protein. I use 7:1 for my malto/whey mix, but I know an LD racer who uses Endurox, a 4:1 carb/protein recovery drink in a Camelbak and has set records using it. He's tried my homebrew and says it's too wimpy for him.

Everyone is different. Experiment and use what works for you. If you go out with only water and get dizzy after 45 minutes, maybe you need some calories.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 02-19-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 02:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I've found the Hammer products work well for me after trying many different things. I use Sustained Energy primarily, but on occasion will switch it out to Perpetum. I also found that using Recoverite helps a lot when I ride 2.5+ hrs.

Old 02-19-15, 05:50 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I usually carry one bottle with a Nuun tablet dissolved in it and one bottle of just water. Gatorade is too sweet; if I carry any it's watered down.

On really hot rides where my kit and my face is covered in salt, I make sure to bring along some salt in a plastic bag in addition to my Nuun tablets and water. A small can of spicy V-8 is good for replacing electrolytes, too.

Don't hesitate to drink often; worst thing that can happen is you have to stop for a "natural break". Not drinking enough water is asking for trouble.

I'm not usually riding hard enough to need any carbs/protein in my drinks. For that, I'll eat a Larabar or some nuts/raisins or other healthy stuff.

I believe there's a window of 30-45minutes after you've stopped doing exercise where your body will still convert carbs to glycogen for energy; that is where your recovery drink or food will come in handy. But that's only useful for racers and riders that go hard often.
Old 02-19-15, 06:33 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That salt, water and 5-10% of your favorite drink for taste. Almost free homemade "Gatorade" type drink that works.

Salt, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Silicate, Magnesium Carbonate, Dextrose, Potassium Iodide.

Just water is NOT a good choice while exercising and sweating a lot.