Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How committed are you to riding in the rain?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How committed are you to riding in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 04:49 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Just saw this thread. We were in PDX for Xmas and you weren't kidding about the constant 36F rain. Wow. And I saw a fair number of riders in those conditions. I tip my hat.
Me too... from the comfort of my warm, dry car...
Old 01-14-16, 05:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK with the 10 blocks down to my favorite Pub..
Old 01-16-16, 08:58 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on the day - I live close enough to work to walk, and I've done that in the past for torrential rain. There have been days when I've put off errands for rain, and once or twice a year I'll take the shared car (we have just the one) for a longer errand in weird weather. For most errands it is easy enough to knock them out on days with less rain.

I am, however, weak, and let the wife get groceries in the car rather than collect them myself. It isn't really safe to bike to either nearby grocery store, though (and probably less safe with panniers full of food).

On on the other hand, many of the recent local pleasure rides have been in the 30s and rainy, so...
Old 01-19-16, 11:24 AM
AlTheKiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ph0rk
Depends on the day - I live close enough to work to walk, and I've done that in the past for torrential rain. There have been days when I've put off errands for rain, and once or twice a year I'll take the shared car (we have just the one) for a longer errand in weird weather. For most errands it is easy enough to knock them out on days with less rain.

I am, however, weak, and let the wife get groceries in the car rather than collect them myself. It isn't really safe to bike to either nearby grocery store, though (and probably less safe with panniers full of food).

On on the other hand, many of the recent local pleasure rides have been in the 30s and rainy, so...
Aren't you potentially getting just as wet by doubling your commute time in a downpour by walking vs biking? Honest question. Or is it safety that's the factor?

We've had a lot of steady showers here lately, a rare relief from our drought. I've been doing great with fenders, rain pants and jacket, but only some thick canvas vans sneakers. Rode to a friend's straight from work last night in a steady rain, but by midnight when we were all leaving it was a crazy heavy downpour, everyone else drove and was super concerned for my safety which I didn't really understand, all offered to drive me home. The rain was really intense, and half of the right lanes of the road were all flooded out so I rode in the left lanes a lot of the way. Also went through a few pedal deep puddles which instantly soaked my feet. But basically once you are out in it, to me it still just seems like riding a bike. Sure, I take it a bit slower, am a little more cautious about hidden potholes, and make sure any cars around can see me with reduced visibility, but I don't see much beyond that.

And I got home mostly dry. Feet were wet, hands were wet, and face was wet. All easily dried, and none of it was uncomfortable. Found myself grinning the whole ride home. Meanwhile my friends who drove had to walk probably five minutes to their cars, because parking is so bad at the apartment complex you have to park in the next neighborhood over, and their feet got just as wet as mine.
Old 01-19-16, 11:41 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlTheKiller
Aren't you potentially getting just as wet by doubling your commute time in a downpour by walking vs biking? Honest question. Or is it safety that's the factor?

We've had a lot of steady showers here lately, a rare relief from our drought. I've been doing great with fenders, rain pants and jacket, but only some thick canvas vans sneakers. Rode to a friend's straight from work last night in a steady rain, but by midnight when we were all leaving it was a crazy heavy downpour, everyone else drove and was super concerned for my safety which I didn't really understand, all offered to drive me home. The rain was really intense, and half of the right lanes of the road were all flooded out so I rode in the left lanes a lot of the way. Also went through a few pedal deep puddles which instantly soaked my feet. But basically once you are out in it, to me it still just seems like riding a bike. Sure, I take it a bit slower, am a little more cautious about hidden potholes, and make sure any cars around can see me with reduced visibility, but I don't see much beyond that.

And I got home mostly dry. Feet were wet, hands were wet, and face was wet. All easily dried, and none of it was uncomfortable. Found myself grinning the whole ride home. Meanwhile my friends who drove had to walk probably five minutes to their cars, because parking is so bad at the apartment complex you have to park in the next neighborhood over, and their feet got just as wet as mine.
Unless it's really windy, all you need to stay pretty dry while walking in a downpour is a decent umbrella. Although if there's standing water everywhere your feet might stay drier on a bike.

It's a little harder on a bike.
Old 01-19-16, 11:48 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
In case you were wondering:

Is it Better to Walk or Run in the Rain?
Old 01-19-16, 01:42 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Have access to a car, public bus, taxi, water ferry to go to work.
Most of the time I chose to ride my bike; even in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hheU...IoDLA&index=63

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-K...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
Old 01-19-16, 04:11 PM
Theycallmegio

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm car free and will ride all winter long, including in snow/sleet. I won't ride in rain heavier than a light mist.
Old 01-19-16, 04:53 PM
oldgrowth45

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm becoming increasingly more committed to commuting in the rain as I slowly upgrade my raingear. And yes, this fall/winter has been absolutely ridiculous weather-wise. Some days it feels like you're going to float away. The biggest problem I have is drying my stuff before the next day's commute.

Last edited by oldgrowth45; 01-21-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 09:40 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Depends on the rain - I have to walk in it once on campus anyway, so may as well get my boots and raincoat wet and keep the bike dry if it will be an all-day deluge. Shorter rain is different, and if the bike is already on campus with me I'll ride it home (unless it is a real frog strangler). I commute in regular clothes, fwiw.

I figure my clothes will be wet anyway (and I do have a coat and umbrella), so may as well skip the extra drivetrain cleaning.

All day rain seems to be rare enough here, though that it has only happened once in the last semester. A longer commute with a change at the other end and I'd ride through it.
Old 01-20-16, 08:52 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
In the summer I love riding in the rain. Many days I hope/pray/yell for a rain shower in the afternoon when going home. In the fall/winter/spring, I have ridden in wet conditions down into the upper 40's. Much below that, or if it's really pouring, I'll take the car. Any gear that would keep the water out would have me soaked inside from sweat after a 15 mile commute, so I don't really bother with any of that. And being wet in the low 40's and 30's for 80 minutes does NOT sound fun at all. So in those conditions I will drive.

Unfortunately it's looking like tomorrow is the first day since winter/spring last year that I will have to use that option. I rode a couple of weeks ago when it was drizzling and wet and 47 degrees, and it wasn't bad at all. But tomorrow is supposed to be about 39 with rain in the afternoon. No thank you.
Old 01-20-16, 11:33 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Semi committed. I don't mind riding in the rain, but as I'm going slower than I normally would, when I have my first meeting will dictate whether I ride or drive...

What's nice about riding in the rain is the fact that the bike car on CalTrain is relatively empty...
Old 01-20-16, 11:38 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Possibly wintry mix tomorrow morning, and lots of rain moving through at 5 PM with mid-upper 30's. Yeah no, not doing that for 2.5 hours/31 miles on the bike, no way no how.
Old 01-21-16, 10:04 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
A soaker this morning. The temperature was OK, 44 degrees. No wind. I can deal with this. My only complaint this morning - dark. The light on my helmet is too high to be of much use in the rain in comparison to the dynamo hub powered light that keeps the beam low with a distinct cutoff. I just turn off the helmet light in really dark areas along the MUP. It's supposed to be really wet this afternoon but temp should be 50+.
Old 01-21-16, 10:09 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Have access to a car, public bus, taxi, water ferry to go to work.
Most of the time I chose to ride my bike; even in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hheU...IoDLA&index=63

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-K...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
I appreciate not having to ride in NYC traffic - the MUP along the water... that was nice.
Old 01-21-16, 12:11 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Around here its mostly 60F/40F in our "winter". rain at this time is icing on the cake; a perfect warm-up for my planned tour in the UK this summer

I will say this morning was 50F but with a light drizzle, just enough to make the roads slippery. It was the thought of vehicles sliding around in that which lead me to ride the more direct ten-minutes into school rather than my preferred hour-long loop.

Mike