Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mounting lights

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mounting lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 01:28 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I mount both my headlight and tail light on my helmet. This has some advantages. The only items I’ve ever had pinched while on tour are my lights (Moab, Utah). I typically wear my helmet into stores and restaurants meaning I automatically take my lights with me. Of course you have to remember to turn them off when off the bike. Having your lights up high and moving more or less randomly makes you more visible on the road. I’ve had a number of drivers confirm this.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 04-24-17, 09:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
TO be honest, I have absolutely no use for a light for lightening the road, ....
A friend of mine was riding at night several years ago and went into a newly placed concrete block, one of those blocks that are about 8 inches high that are used to separate parking spaces. He rode that route so often he thought he knew were every obstruction was until he hit it hard at full speed. The frame top tube and downtube were bent back so far that the wheel could not turn from one side to the other because the downtube was in the way. I did not see him for several months after that so I do not have the details on his injuries.

If you are talking about Iceland when you are there, that is accurate because of the season provided you do not go through a tunnel.
Old 04-24-17, 09:27 AM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a wald 1372 basket up front zip tied to a Salsa Minimalist rack, the light is mounted to one of the threaded holes on the front of the rack.
Old 04-24-17, 09:45 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you are talking about Iceland when you are there, that is accurate because of the season provided you do not go through a tunnel.
Yeah, both the fact that it'll never be dark the time of year I am there for this trip, and for future tours the fiancee refuses to ride roads outside already lit city areas at night. Worst case, they can act as something to get by with if necessary, but they are never intended for nighttime riding of any length.
Old 04-26-17, 10:23 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Topeak makes one as well.

Old 04-26-17, 10:29 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I ended up just taking an old tube and wrapping it around the pannier rack hoop, as Tourist detailed. Not the prettiest, but seemingly functional.

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-26-17 at 10:47 AM.