Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Texas
Reload this Page >

Lake Mineral Wells State Trailway - been there?

Search
Notices

Lake Mineral Wells State Trailway - been there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 01:30 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm interested in making this ride soon. What sort of tires do you recommend?

I was hoping to do it on my touring road bike that has 28's on it with some tread. Will that work?
Old 02-18-15, 02:26 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I've been to the state park many times, but have never done the trailway. I'll make an effort to ride it this spring. I'll do it on a Fuji Absolute hybrid with 700x32c tires which should be just about right.
Old 02-19-18, 10:20 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I “necro” this thread and ask if it’s appropriate for a “pure” road bike (Fuji Roubaix) with 25’s? Thinking about trying it out, but if it’s still crushed gravel, i’m More inclined to take a pass until I get around to a different bike or a spare tire set
Old 02-25-18, 07:28 PM
Dogma XC Stan

Bikes: Challenge Fujin SLII recumbent, Pinarello Dogma XC 9.9 and a ElliptiGO 8C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is their a fee to ride this trail?
I thought I seen a fee box at the Weatherford end.

Thanks,
Stan
Old 03-04-18, 01:22 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Woo. Old thread. Sorry about the photos being gone, but that's Photobucket.
Sure, you could ride it on 25's, not the ideal thing, but I'm sure it's been done. It's not like you're going to bog down anywhere.
I'm pretty sure there is a fee- it's just the park entrance fee, I think- call and ask if it's critical.

There's a Caprock Canyons rail trail out between South Plains and Estelline, and I'm planning to do it in late April.
Old 03-04-18, 06:14 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
There's a Caprock Canyons rail trail out between South Plains and Estelline, and I'm planning to do it in late April.
It's been years and things change. That said, both times I rode it, only the part from South Plains to Quitaque could have been described as maintained - the rest was overgrown. You could bushwhack your way through, but you had to stop every now and then and pull weeds out of the rear derailleur/cassette. Even in maintained places there were stretches where the area on either side of the railway had been mown - and the clippings/chaff ejected onto the trail surface! Texas Parks&Wildlife seemed to be operating this wild space as a tribulus terrestris sanctuary. If I were to ride it again I'd seriously consider mounting Tannus Razor Blades. I'm not kidding.

Hopefully conditions have improved.

Oh, but if you're not stopping every 0.79 miles to patch multiple punctures, from South Plains to Quitaque is hands down one of the most memorable, most scenic and most unique rides in the state. It will be beautiful in late April.

Last edited by tcs; 03-05-18 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 07:12 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TXCiclista
Can I “necro” this thread and ask if it’s appropriate for a “pure” road bike (Fuji Roubaix) with 25’s? Thinking about trying it out, but if it’s still crushed gravel, i’m More inclined to take a pass until I get around to a different bike or a spare tire set
Originally Posted by Dogma XC Stan
Is their a fee to ride this trail?
I thought I seen a fee box at the Weatherford end.

Thanks,
Stan
I rode it last weekend or two back maybe. I only did a few miles of it due to time. I have Clement USH 35's that's about as small as I'd want to go on that trail. It's mostly fine, but every now and then there will be a deep spot. I would not personally take my road bike with 28's on there.

There is a fee, but I'm not sure what it is. I assume it was covered when I paid at the state park for access there.

If you do go out there, make sure to ride up the steep switchbacked hill into the state park and check it out. Some nice paved rides in there. I got this pic there recently.

Old 06-03-18, 10:52 PM
italcyclist

Bikes: A vintage road bicycle, and hybrid and a mtb.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crushed limestone on the Trinity Trail:

I've ridden the crushed limestone (I believe it's crushed limestone) on the Trinity Trail bike path in Fort Worth. It is easy, and one should not be apprehensive about riding the Rails - to - Trails Lake Mineral Wells State Trailway. Falling off your bike onto a paved surface is very painful.
I have a question. Has anyone ridden their bicycle from Fort Worth to Mineral Wells? During this upcoming fall season I am planning on riding from Fort Worth to Mineral Wells. I hear there is a small town near Mineral Wells the is named Cool, Texas. Sounds like a good place to be during the scorching Texas summers (lol).
What is the best route, or is there a good route to take that avoids the bad drivers?
Thank you