Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to clean vintage bike frame & components?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to clean vintage bike frame & components?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 06:32 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
here's a little secret weapon on cleaning greasy stuff - Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleanser ! works miracles.

you can replace the nipples only - not the spokes - but if the spokes are rusty they are not stainless - so you are probably into rebuilding the wheels. take a spoke out and measure the length.

Most shops are not willing to do restoration work of this type - even at shop labor rates it's not worth their time. So it's up to you. Nice project !

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 04-20-19, 02:00 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
UPDATES:

1) I decided to buy new wheels & freewheel. I'd love to keep the Mallard hubs and the original freewheel but they are a mated pair and if anything happened the tools to fix or remove them are hard to come by and to buy a new set of very similar period-looking wheels, was about the same price and having a shop build new ones with the old hubs. I'm going to keep the hubs for now - who knows maybe down the road I'll have a little more $$ and can have them rebuilt to use. It's not a huge deal.

2) Some pics of the cleaning so far

-hoods:
This is how they came to me on the bike:

Here's how they look now:

And here's after polishing one of the levers, for comparison's sake:

-Crank:
Before

After:

-Stem
Before:

After:

More + a question in the next post
Old 04-20-19, 02:08 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Front derailleur:

The rear derailleur didn't come quite as clean as I was hoping, but it's magnitudes better. I didn't snap a pic yet.

So I'm on to the frame now and herein lies my next query...

I used the methods suggested to clean the chrome parts of the front fork of the rust spots, but now it seems to have left with just areas where the chrome is just gone. I'm assuming there really isn't anything to be done about this? The rust is gone, but the chrome has been damaged and it just is what it is now?

Front sides look ok:

It's the back sides I'm concerned about

Thoughts or recommendations?
Old 04-20-19, 03:04 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy

. I'm assuming there really isn't anything to be done about this? The rust is gone, but the chrome has been damaged and it just is what it is now?

Front sides look ok:

It's the back sides I'm concerned about

Thoughts or recommendations?
You are correct !

Periodically wax it and ride it like you stole it !
Old 04-20-19, 08:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I also need a new 5 speed freewheel. Suggestions?
Old 04-20-19, 10:09 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 523 Posts
You could do 2 things for the back of the fork, polish the steel or a little silver paint. Polishing the steel leaves it open to the weather and potential rust later. Painting, covers the steel and prevents rust later. best is to polish the steel a bit and than a light coat of silver paint. There is also a chrome paint out there that looks ok.
Old 04-21-19, 12:09 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
When I am doing a rest on a bike the first thing I do is strip it down to the frame. Then I do the following:

Take all the shiny bits and throw them in a container of white vinegar( 5-6 bucks a gallon at safeway)

Wipe the frame and fork down with wd40 or mineral spirits

Get some rags and q tips and dig into all the nooks and crannies

using a brass cleaning brush and mineral spirits scrub all the grease off the chainrings and freewheel

If there is rust in the paint I coat the rusted areas with naval jelly then after 1/2 hr wash it off . If there ia crusted rust sometimes I rub the rust lightly with 1000 grit wet/ dry

This does not appear to harm the paint , just the rust.

using white polishing compound, rub out the frame and fork ( this will remove lots of marks and dirt that regular cleaning won't)

When I have the frame squeaky clean I often will Clear coat it with Rustoleum clear enamel or lacquer depending on the underlying paint type. If you aren't sure which type was used you can do a test . I usually use the fork steer tube if it is painted. This will make the paint really pop, bringing out the original color

Next, take all the shiny bits out of the vinegar and clean. Most if not all the rust will just wipe off. A brass brush followed with some metal polish should make them sparkle.

If you want to go to the next level get a polishing wheel ( I have one mounted on a grinder) and buff everything up .

With everything cleaned and polished , reassemble.

If you have any rubber parts such as grips, hoods or on old 3 speeds a rear reflector, judicious use of some acetone can make them bright white again . Be careful though as it will actually dissolve the rubber . A little will clean them , too much will ruin them.

Note
Chrome fork ends are often clear coated at the factory. You can remove the lacquer coating by wiping them down with Acetone and a scotch brite pad. Be sure to mask off the paint before you do this as acetone will also wipe off paint and decals

Last edited by capnjonny; 04-21-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 04:02 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Polishing the Steel would in fact lesson the rust and corrosion..
I would suggest polishing as best you can then spray clear coat on it after de-greasing... Less waxing but still regularly way your bike
Old 05-16-19, 08:02 PM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow I am going to try the suggestions from all of you to try and bring back my 1972 Astra tour de France. I am the original owner and have just recently gotten back into bikes. This bike was an off shoot of Motobecane and is worthless to anyone else but to me it is priceless and requires a full restoration however because I have looked for decals and have been unsuccessful as of this writing, I will attempt to clean it and do all the mechanical s and ride it until I can get the decals then fully restore it. As soon as I am permitted I will post pictures
Old 05-17-19, 07:43 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Could you not use the freewheel that's on the original rear wheel?
Old 05-17-19, 09:25 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I just discovered a great product for cleaning grease off my bike. It is StarStuk ACR citrus adhesive cleaner /remover.

I had some in the shop for cleaning contact cement residue from formica projects and sprayed a little on a Raleigh frame to help remove an old sticker. I noticed it dissolves grease really well so sprayed it on a greasy chainring/crank I had on the bench and it dissolved the grease like magic. I wiped off the part and sprayed it once more and even more grease just dissolved.

I am looking at the can and see it is made by 3M, one of my favorite companies.
Old 05-17-19, 02:18 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Could you not use the freewheel that's on the original rear wheel?
What's this in reference to?
Old 05-17-19, 04:10 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
What's this in reference to?
I think in response to your question about free wheels, btw this SunRace on Amazon should do the trick or if you are near a bike co-op you might find used one and more vintage cheaper. You will need a FW puller if you ever want to get it off again, they list one in the frequently bought together section. Be aware they are a number of different "standards" out there for FW pullers. I think I have about 8 different models floating around my tool box.
Old 05-17-19, 06:44 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Good advice all, I will add that its best to avoid Simple Green, it can and will pit aluminum surfaces. I understand that even the new formulation that claims to be safe for aluminum isn't up to snuff and can cause some pitting, There was an A/D issued for aircraft owners and A/P mechanics back in around 2000-2002 that warned, and then forbid its use. A line maintenance Master Chief for a Naval Training Airwing said that BuAir had forbid its use completely, at that time (Early 2003.)

One of our regulars @randyjawa, has a fantastic web site for anyone wanting to delve into C&V bikes, My Ten Speeds, he has some great tips on cleaning and disassembly, as well as restoration work. Great site that I use as a reference regularly, and a pretty good guy as well!!!

Bill
I've had spilled simple green eat the paint off stuff if left long enough. I've also heard that WD40 is acidic enough to etch surfaces. I believe that was a firearm concern. Never-the-less, my initial processing of a bike involves spraying with Simple Green, wiping with a "cleansing wipe", hosed off with water, dried in the sun for a bit and then liberally soaked down with WD40 from a hand pump bottle. I havent noticed any damage to aluminum parts, but most of the stuff I deal with would need a round of Mothers polish anyway.
Old 05-28-19, 07:29 AM
jahue

Bikes: Centurion Le-Mans (Bought by my father in-law while in the NAVY in Japan in 1970s), Bianchi campione d'italia 78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For those restoring "rusty" parts I use a product called evapo-rust you can look on their website for a list of retailers but it's readily available. It won't hurt paint and does some amazing things to rusty parts. I will say it is almost unbelievable. As a word of caution, it will turn heavy rust areas black, but this can be removed with a scotch bright pad, or a Brillo pad... do people still use Brillo pads? These were the steel wool pads with some kind of soap embedded in the pad.
Old 05-28-19, 01:01 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I have had very good results with Blue Magic .