Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Shame on you Bike Forums!

Old 02-17-20, 06:47 AM
  #26  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,302

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 454 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious View Post
and this...
I think that sending you spam from their server does not constitute selling your info. It's a fine line, of course.

Nice Avatar.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-18-20, 09:28 AM
  #27  
IBJoel
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Hi guys! So the good news is that we do not sell your information. If you check the sender, you'll note it contains "IB" (Internet Brands, Bike Forum's parent company). A company wants to send out an ad, sometimes not cycling-related, and we use our mailing list. But they never see any of your information. If you want to stop receiving those emails, simply click "Remove Me" at the bottom. Opting out/removing yourself will not effect your forum emails.

In regards to that "Do Not Sell My Personal Information" link at the bottom of the site, that's been there since the beginning of the year to conform to a new California law (IB is headquartered in Los Angeles).

IBJoel is offline  
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 02-18-20, 09:54 AM
  #28  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,515

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
If you block then I'm not sure you get digests of your subscribed threads. OPT OUT of the ads instead.

Anyway, I don't get these.
I've tried to opt out of that as well, but still get like 30 emails on threads I have replied to.....annoying!
jadocs is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 10:05 AM
  #29  
IBJoel
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
I've tried to opt out of that as well, but still get like 30 emails on threads I have replied to.....annoying!
You may need to change your subscription notifications here: https://www.bikeforums.net/subscript...ewsubscription (you can select all and then change how often you get emails for them at the bottom of the list)

And/or change your default subscription notifications: https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions
IBJoel is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 09:29 PM
  #30  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 244 Posts
If that bugs you, all of the weekly notifications showed up in my junk folder and I've done nothing I am aware of to trigger that nor does whitelisting ever change that. I use outlook.live.com just so's you know. I guess I need to look at my blacklist.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 11:42 PM
  #31  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,138
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1832 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
If that bugs you, all of the weekly notifications showed up in my junk folder and I've done nothing I am aware of to trigger that nor does whitelisting ever change that. I use outlook.live.com just so's you know. I guess I need to look at my blacklist.
Your issue has nothing to do with BikeForums..... It's your settings on your computer
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 03:24 PM
  #32  
ahsposo 
Turgid Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hypertonic State
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
...


...did anyone actually watch the "presentation" ? I would love to have firmer-feeling skin and thicker-looking hair.
You will still have it on top of those "features" though...
__________________
Originally Posted by CarlJohnson View Post
i dont care who he is cos im carl and im awesome
ahsposo is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 03:36 PM
  #33  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 18,730

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17940 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,190 Posts
.
...
3alarmer is offline  
Old 02-21-20, 03:26 AM
  #34  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Your issue has nothing to do with BikeForums..... It's your settings on your computer
It's Microsoft. Seems that if some of it gets sent to spam it teaches itself to hate the rest eventually. IBJoel already asked. I can't find BF's email address in my blacklist.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 02-21-20, 03:28 AM
  #35  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...
It it helps you, I've never seen these newer spams and will just have to deal with crappy, rough skin.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 11:26 AM
  #36  
ahsposo 
Turgid Member
 
ahsposo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hypertonic State
Posts: 7,126

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 665 Posts
Will somebody please tell IB that I empty my bowels pretty completely every morning?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Originally Posted by CarlJohnson View Post
i dont care who he is cos im carl and im awesome
ahsposo is offline  
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 02-23-20, 11:34 AM
  #37  
making
Senior Member
 
making's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenwood Indiana
Posts: 2,726

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I just got one about my bowels. Really? bike lights, seats great. Bowels?
__________________
Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are
making is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 11:47 AM
  #38  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,399

Bikes: Not nearly as many as before...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 139 Posts
I would have checked in earlier, but I was reading how to completely empty my bowels...
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 11:48 AM
  #39  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 2,920

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Will somebody please tell IB that I empty my bowels pretty completely every morning?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, can we bring back the miracle formula anti-aging spam? I think I prefer that to that bowel-emptying spam.
tyrion is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 12:40 PM
  #40  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,526
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11472 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 722 Posts
Well, Today's Bike Forums E-Mail is about how to sit on the can and take a dump. Fitting?
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 12:59 PM
  #41  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,399

Bikes: Not nearly as many as before...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 139 Posts
Great for the weight weenies...
billnuke1 is offline  
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 02-23-20, 01:31 PM
  #42  
grizzly59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
1) Open the offending e-mail
2) Scroll to the bottom
3) Click "Remove Me"

Easy
grizzly59 is offline  
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-23-20, 01:55 PM
  #43  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,526
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11472 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59 View Post
1) Open the offending e-mail
2) Scroll to the bottom
3) Click "Remove Me"

Easy
Good point.

I ignore those links because most of my "spam" is from companies I work with, and I've diligently worked to avoid sending my name out to random mailing lists. It is never clear what random spammers do when you respond to their messages.

So, when you click on that link, it asks the question:
.
"If you wish to unsubscribe from ALL publications from Bike Forums, click the Unsubscribe From All button below. "
.
What is the answer? I do like getting the message notifications from Bike Forums, but dislike random spam about purging my bowels showing up masquerading as something I've worked with.

I did click on Google's SPAM link, so hopefully Google will start blacklisting "travel.ibemail.com"
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 03:37 PM
  #44  
Safari
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How to delete my account?
Safari is offline  
Old 02-23-20, 08:52 PM
  #45  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 244 Posts
Don't post anymore?

I take it that regularity isn't a big issue in Scandinavia?

We have the best irregulars around!
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 12:06 AM
  #46  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,526
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11472 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Don't post anymore?

I take it that regularity isn't a big issue in Scandinavia?

We have the best irregulars around!
Stopping posting will stop the replies (or removing one's subscriptions). But, it probably won't rid oneself of BikeForums Spammy Bowel messages. (but, some of the methods above may help).

Many forums don't like removing accounts due to leaving orphaned messages.

I'm not sure what the e-mail verification is here, but one can direct all e-mail to a junkmail account that you don't regularly monitor.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 07:13 AM
  #47  
cathalferris
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cathalferris View Post
I received the same spam email to the forum-specific mail I used to sign up, so I know for an absolute fact that it was sourced from these servers.

I'm from the EU, and I did not actively opt in to ads from BikeForums.net, or anyone else for that matter.

That's a GDPR violation right there, and means the owners of BikeForums are liable under those laws. Now, how to proceed with this?
The GDPR notice on the front of the website is also not GDPR-compliant - there's no way to easily choose to have none of the various types of cookies. Having the only option visible being to click "I agree" to whatever currently-illegal terms this site is requesting, is a violation of the GDPR regulations. Refusing access to the service when a user chooses not to submit to datamining and data selling, is also a violation of the GDPR regulations.

People here are also missing the point - we in the EU do *not* have to actively choose to opt-out of ads - we must be actively choosing in an informed way to opt-in to receive ads. I have not opted-in to receive ads, nor have I received any request to opt-in. I've just been sent ads using the information I've previously provided to this site, and that information is being used without my explicit permission by a third party.

It's poor form by this forum's admins, and the fact that another email has been sent to me by a third party without my explicit permission is not cool, especially when the forum admins have been informed of the problem. I'd suggest cutting ties with that ad provider as they've definitely broken any contract, as they've left this site open to legal action by their own actions. This site is also open to legal action due to the GDPR notice.

The resolution to the issue is not difficult nor is it expensive, it's an issue that's already been well-solved already.
Not solving it means that the fines are hefty..
cathalferris is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 09:36 AM
  #48  
IBJoel
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1 View Post
I would have checked in earlier, but I was reading how to completely empty my bowels...
Originally Posted by making View Post
I just got one about my bowels. Really? bike lights, seats great. Bowels?
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Will somebody please tell IB that I empty my bowels pretty completely every morning?

Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Yeah, can we bring back the miracle formula anti-aging spam? I think I prefer that to that bowel-emptying spam.
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Well, Today's Bike Forums E-Mail is about how to sit on the can and take a dump. Fitting?
Did you guys all click "Remove Me" from the previous sales (anti-aging) email?
IBJoel is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 09:41 AM
  #49  
IBJoel
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by cathalferris View Post
The GDPR notice on the front of the website is also not GDPR-compliant - there's no way to easily choose to have none of the various types of cookies. Having the only option visible being to click "I agree" to whatever currently-illegal terms this site is requesting, is a violation of the GDPR regulations. Refusing access to the service when a user chooses not to submit to datamining and data selling, is also a violation of the GDPR regulations.

People here are also missing the point - we in the EU do *not* have to actively choose to opt-out of ads - we must be actively choosing in an informed way to opt-in to receive ads. I have not opted-in to receive ads, nor have I received any request to opt-in. I've just been sent ads using the information I've previously provided to this site, and that information is being used without my explicit permission by a third party.

It's poor form by this forum's admins, and the fact that another email has been sent to me by a third party without my explicit permission is not cool, especially when the forum admins have been informed of the problem. I'd suggest cutting ties with that ad provider as they've definitely broken any contract, as they've left this site open to legal action by their own actions. This site is also open to legal action due to the GDPR notice.

The resolution to the issue is not difficult nor is it expensive, it's an issue that's already been well-solved already.
Not solving it means that the fines are hefty..
I assure you that our legal team is quite familiar with GDPR and we/our sales team don't take any action that is not to my knowledge within the law.

Here's our cookie policy: https://www.internetbrands.com/priva...ie-policy.html

If you have concerns about our implementation of GDPR, you can contact our legal team here: https://www.internetbrands.com/contact-us/
IBJoel is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 10:55 AM
  #50  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,526
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11472 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Did you guys all click "Remove Me" from the previous sales (anti-aging) email?
I have now.

I find it interesting that "Remove Me" is BikeForum's official response.

In the past the company has been touchy about things like adblockers and script blockers.

I looked at the history of "travel.ibemail.com".

I seem to have picked up several e-mails about bikes, bike coupons, bike wheels, etc. There was one from BFGoodrich which is a bit off topic. Also a Guacamole Cookbook.

At least most of them were moderately on-topic and bicycle related, whether I ignored them or not.

On the other hand, I find the off-topic pseudo-medical topics to be EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE. Reading the E-Mail, it is also a bait and switch... and mostly about diet. "By simply eliminating this harmful toxin". However, that is mostly teasers where one has to click on the links and videos to get the details which I just won't do.

Perhaps consider this....
If I copied/posted that E-Mail onto BikeForums. Appropriately in the "Pills&Ills"... what would BikeForum's response be? You'd likely get 1000 SPAM flags. The topic would likely be deleted, and I could be banned from the forum. What if I put it under Road Cycling?

Yet, this is unsolicited off-topic E-Mail sent out by Bike Forums, with an official "Bike Forums" Header.... And the response is to use our SPAM blockers, and click on "Remove Me"?

I guess I don't need to see the BikeForums "DealsLetter" and ads for a "New Wheelset" if you feel those should only be viewed if one also accepts off-topic pseudoscience.

I realize the official response is that advertising is out of your hands... BUT WHY IS THAT? Somebody is using your E-Mail lists, and adding your headers... and you would claim lack of oversight and control? Or did this garbage pass your internal review? Money trumps reason?

CliffordK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.