Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus
View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Covid-19?
No worries - it is all media hype
9.71%
Passively watching it because it's in the headlines
17.48%
Actively watching it with focused interest
30.10%
Taking steps to assure my family and I are protected
38.83%
Dead certain it will get me as soon as it hits my county or town
3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Old 03-12-20, 11:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12014 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 1,872 Posts
Now that schools have closed, Microsoft will pay employees who can't work at home for up to 6 weeks to stay home and take care of their kids.
Old 03-12-20, 01:46 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Not if what one has should be enough and one is relatively close to tapping it. I may be 5 years away from starting to tap mine.
Same here! But when I "start tapping it" it's not like I'll be emptying it out in short order. (or ever, actually) I'll be taking small amounts of it over years, likely (hopefully) for 2 decades or more. And most of those years will have gains, not losses.

Market cycles are normal events and we were overdue for a correction. It'll be back above its previous highs in a few years. If somehow it isn't this time, (unlikely) everyone will be screwed no matter what they did.

Don't want to need a recovery to have enough. (I've got a DB plan that I can start at 60 without early retirement penalties. In fact, I get an incentive for two years if I leave then.) And I can always get back in if things start looking up in the (near) future.
This is how some people get tricked into selling low and buying high. "Oh NO" the market tanked, I'm out!" Then, once it does go up, they buy back in.
Old 03-12-20, 01:55 PM
making

Bikes: Road bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Same here! But when I "start tapping it" it's not like I'll be emptying it out in short order. (or ever, actually) I'll be taking small amounts of it over years, likely (hopefully) for 2 decades or more. And most of those years will have gains, not losses.

Market cycles are normal events and we were overdue for a correction. It'll be back above its previous highs in a few years. If somehow it isn't this time, (unlikely) everyone will be screwed no matter what they did.

This is how some people get tricked into selling low and buying high. "Oh NO" the market tanked, I'm out!" Then, once it does go up, they buy back in.
I just turned off my withdraws from my savings and am really thinking about selling a rental if I can, cause I would pick a day in the next 6 months...and dump 50k in an Index fund. Cause I do think in the next year this will come roaring back. I hope. My original plan was emptying my TSP into real estate.
Old 03-12-20, 02:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Answer #4 .

Pretty much everyone, even people in this thread, are already "taking steps" to ensure their safety... Being more aware of what they touch and washing their hands more often, etc. Anyone who doesn't admit this is likely lying, though I'm not sure why.
I'm not washing my hands anymore than before the coronavirus. Before Ebola came to North America, I read The Hot Zone. Gave me the creeps, and then it became a (potential) reality. And hand washing was a way to protect yourself then too, I became aware of how often I'd touch my face etc, the book made a big deal of that. When that outbreak was over, it still seemed like a good idea not to put my fingers in my eyes after touching things like door handles on public buildings until I had a chance to wash my hands.

But I stopped going to the gym until this is over. Last check we had 240 confirmed cases and 26 dead in my county.
Old 03-12-20, 02:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 706 Posts
KISS canceled their last 3 shows on this leg of the tour. So I canceled my room I had in Lafayette and will stay home. But I believe this is the best thing. I will ride my bike drink my beer instead. Play KISS and other bands on the stereo and watch the deer and rabbits
Old 03-12-20, 04:24 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
KISS canceled their last 3 shows on this leg of the tour. So I canceled my room I had in Lafayette and will stay home. But I believe this is the best thing. I will ride my bike drink my beer instead. Play KISS and other bands on the stereo and watch the deer and rabbits
Well, that sure makes me less concerned.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 03-12-20, 04:27 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Old 03-12-20, 04:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11490 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 725 Posts
I'm surprised KISS is still on the stage. How many of them have changed from guitars to canes? Groupies?

I did manage to see Chuck Berry in St. Louis a few years ago... whew, blast from the past!!!
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-12-20, 04:46 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 112 Posts
Steps I'm taking: normal and customary hand-washing, avoiding of touching the face, watching out for surface contact, maintaining as much distance from others as I'm able throughout the day, and avoiding busy/crowded venues. About what I normally do anyway, so it's no great change.

That said, this one appears to be very easily transmitted, hangs in the air a long time, and survives on some surfaces up to a couple of days. All for a week or more of incubation, during which a carrier might not even know he/she has the thing. (Not all that dissimilar to the common cold or influenza, when they're initially striking, though clearly it hits harder with some folks.)

The death rate appears to be somewhere in the ~3% range of all cases contracted. Though it's unclear how many have contracted it, given how new it is and the fact that many show no more symptoms than if contracting "a cold." (The WHO is estimating that globally the death rate might be 3.4% or so, of those contracting it, most heavily striking those whose health is "compromised.")

Enough to get my attention. Not really any more I can do about it other than avoiding going out, avoiding all people, etc. Which isn't going to happen. At the end of the day, it's not smallpox, thankfully, which in the case of variola major had a death rate of 30% if contracted. That had a fair chance of being a death sentence. Which ~3% is not.

Sadly, whole economies are shutting down major portions of activity, and whole towns/cities are being "locked down" (quarantined, with nobody going in or out). To say nothing of markets tanking by 25% or more. A bit much, IMO.
Old 03-12-20, 04:53 PM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Old 03-12-20, 05:27 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
On NPR this morning, a knowledgeable-/authoritative-sounding doctor said that, there was until recently a problem with test availability in the U.S., but that is now corrected. He said there are 1M tests available for use now, 600K being shipped, and more in the pipeline.
Testing has been and still is the one of the largest weaknesses in the U.S.’s response to the virus. Because of still limited availability, restrictions on testing and little U.S. public-health transparency it is impossible to know how many Americans are infected/spreading it and suffering from it…and btw..the U.S. is nowhere near the coordinated Europe-wide strategies in place, which, more importantly, with universal health coverage and paid leave/safety net programs makes it easier for people to go through a time like this.

I do hope this will be a good lesson for the need for the excellent funding of and having a trusted, established and quick responding infrastructure for these kinds of pandemics.
Old 03-12-20, 05:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Testing has been and still is the one of the largest weaknesses in the U.S.’s response to the virus. Because of still limited availability, restrictions on testing and little U.S. public-health transparency it is impossible to know how many Americans are infected/spreading it and suffering from it…
Of course, testing is more than just the numbers. It helps get people spreading the disease off the street, and thus reduce the number of new infections.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-12-20, 09:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 153 Posts
Being on the West end of Long Island I'm mostly worried about if the local governments are going to overreact and shut things off restricting travel, etc. I went to the Stop n Shop today to get some extra nonpreishables, there wasn't a cleaner or sanitizer in sight which is just ridiculous, I get everyone wants to make sure they have the stuff but how much of it does each person need?
I grocery shop every 10 days and the 20th should have been the next trip but the wife wanted a week's supply of pasta and sauce along with other canned goods, still only bought frozen vegetables, those are gross canned. Didn't check the TP isle, I by a back every single 10 day trip and we usually all but two rolls by the time of the next trip so I already have 3 packs stockpiled. But the store was jammed full with people panic buying and I guess I was one, along with people filming it all for instagram or whatever.
Personally I'm worried for my parents who are 66 and 72. My kids are all under 10 and healthy, statistically they're unlikely to get it and China hasn't reported any under 10 deaths yet, wife and I are also both healthy. As a minister I'm also worried about about my congregation which is on the older side. I'm experimenting tomorrow with streaming the services online should all gatherings be canceled. If schools get canceled my wife's place will also close down so probably we'll ride every day if we're able.
Old 03-12-20, 09:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Yup, worried about older family.
Old 03-12-20, 09:55 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
It's serious. And we've wasted days and weeks getting ready.

It seems less serious in the USA for a few reasons. We are doing way less testing, so there's fewer reported cases. We are probably 10 to 14 days behind Italy, so we haven't started filling up hospitals yet.

But the infections increase by 15 to 30% a day. Numbers that are now in the hundreds or thousands reach 10,000, 100,000, even 1,000,000 quite fast. With enough cases, it will be easy to overwhelm the available beds and equipment for patients that need ventilators and other intensive care.

We aren't doing the complete lockdowns that Italy has started, and that worked in S Korea and Singapore. Americans won't do it, I think.

From March 11:

If we can slow the rate by avoiding contact in events and busy places, then we can deal with it over the next few months. Better therapies for the sickest, and available medical care.

"Flatten the curve"

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-12-20 at 10:01 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-12-20, 10:34 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Yup, luckily here we are still relatively rural. Have own well and backup generator for power and well pump. I might be a somewhat plowed but so what. Plus I got a massive amount of camping equipment I’ve hunted and fished my whole life so basic survival skills is basic education. Y’all be safe but most of all be sensible!
Old 03-12-20, 11:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 159 Posts
My daughter's a health Care worker, in the hospice industry in the Seattle area. That's a concern. Her two boys are young enough the liklihood of serious consequences is low. Her husband isn't terribly healthy so that's a concern.

My son is in the military. I expect their response will be better than the civilian response, so less of a worry but still.

There's nothing I do, our my kids do, or anyone else I know does, that has a 1% chance of being fatal in the kind of timeframe we're talking about. Not even close. Hell, people think I'm crazy riding my bike to work, and the odds of dying from that over the course of six months are a fraction of the odds of a healthy 20 year dying of this virus.

​​​​​​​
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-13-20, 03:22 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I thought I saw one report that didn't list Spokane. At one time they were using CT and X-Rays to make a diagnosis before test results came back.

Numbers are going up quickly. 279 in Washington, 23 dead.

Not unexpected considering the lack of testing for a month.

I think 21 of the 23 deaths were associated an outbreak in a single nursing home, Life Care Center in Kirkland.

Quite a few staff members are currently under quarantine, but not all have been tested yet.

That may be indicative of a bias of the government testing more around a known outbreak, as well as community members requesting more tests. Thus, simply ignoring places like Boise without documented cases.
Yeah the stats for WA state are high probably because of international flights to Seattle.

Spokane has "Spokane International Airport" but we don't get international flights there. I think they named it after the "International House of Pancakes".

What we're having here on the eastern side is an outbreak of hypochondria.
Old 03-13-20, 06:45 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Yeah the stats for WA state are high probably because of international flights to Seattle.

Spokane has "Spokane International Airport" but we don't get international flights there. I think they named it after the "International House of Pancakes".

What we're having here on the eastern side is an outbreak of hypochondria.
The airport theory would indicate the possibility of multiple imports.

However, most, if not all, of the Seattle cases are related to a single early case that then silently spread until it was picked up as an incidental finding with the Seattle Flu Study.

Even the Grand Princess cases are likely linked to that first Seattle case.

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...c-fingerprints
Old 03-13-20, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

They've completely shut down the Pasayten Airfield.

@Zinger is the only one who might get that.
Old 03-13-20, 11:59 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Hondo HEB grocery store is cleaned out and everyone is staying home. This twilight zone stuff is freaking me out .. I’m glad I live in the boonies and I’m the only cyclist around. My sister is a HS teacher at a large San Antonio HS around 3,500 students. The schools here are on spring break and I doubt the school will reopen for now.
Old 03-13-20, 12:02 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 582 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I found a buttload of washable masks in my chest of drawers.

Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-13-20, 06:25 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I'm not washing my hands anymore than before the coronavirus. Before Ebola came to North America, I read The Hot Zone. Gave me the creeps, and then it became a (potential) reality. And hand washing was a way to protect yourself then too, I became aware of how often I'd touch my face etc, the book made a big deal of that. When that outbreak was over, it still seemed like a good idea not to put my fingers in my eyes after touching things like door handles on public buildings until I had a chance to wash my hands.

But I stopped going to the gym until this is over. Last check we had 240 confirmed cases and 26 dead in my county.
What a great book.

I do have to say I've gone from zero concern to minimizing going out. I always wash my hands frequently and try to avoid touching my face, throw out my tissues, etc. I recently started a new medication that has me feeling kind of crappy, so I feel like if I were to contract anything right now, it'd knock me out of work for a week or more during our busiest season. I asked my parents to postpone their planned travels, but we'll see.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 03-14-20, 05:57 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 33 Posts
Yup, worried about older family.
Same. My dad is 81. In very good health, but still 81. I have several aunts and uncles in his age range. And he regularly hangs out at the local senior centers.

A week ago I was supposed to take my daughter on a trip to Montana to ski. I personally had been dealing with some bronchitis type breathing issues, and was on a course of steroids to try and deal with it. A couple days before we were set to go I pulled the plug on the trip after discussing with my health care providers that even though the risk of contracting COVID-19 was still low, that I was probably in a compromised state at the time.

This has made me rethink my use of AirbNb - where I got zero refund on one place. Hotels are being more considerate of cancellations, especially if booked directly.

Last edited by billyymc; 03-14-20 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 01:14 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
They've completely shut down the Pasayten Airfield.

@Zinger is the only one who might get that.
Actually I had to look it up as I haven't spent time in the middle of the state. Yeah it's pretty dead there now if you'll excuse the pun.

We in the east of WA probably will get in on this sometime belatedly.

The nomadic Comanche avoided Euro-diseases for decades longer that other native tribes, in part because most people avoided coming anywhere near the Comanche. But they were decimated by desease but good in the mid 1800s or they would have surely stifled anglo and Hispanic settlement of "Comancheria" for much longer than they already had.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.