Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Crappy Records

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Crappy Records

Old 11-05-18, 03:11 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker View Post
More crap. Bowie's Hunky Dory is great crap!

The album that put Rod Stewart on the map was one of the all-time great albums. I still listen to it in near amazement. Jeff Beck's "Truth". I heard a radio interview with Rod Stewart when he came out withhis jazz album. He was asked who the best guitarist he had worked with was. Stewart corrected the interviewer. The best "musician" he had ever worked with was Jeff Beck.

Ben
Old 11-05-18, 04:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Trek 1120, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3CC, Fandango DC-9 MTB tandem, Jamis Renegade Expert, Bike Friday Pocket Llama, Santana Arriva tandem, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
I still don't get it. The Grateful Dead have always been a kind of mythical band to me, because of all the stories surrounding it while I was into late 60's music, but it was hard to get hold of. When I finally found it, it wasn't weird or difficult or loud. I expected something people would really dislike like Hendrix, Zappa, Beefheart or psychedelical stuff. It's quite easy on the ears, acceptable background music for about any party. I don't like licorice but I like things that divide a crowd, but for me it comes across as a nice but rather bland cookie that some people love it a lot because of nostalgia and personal memories.
I don't like licorice, either. Nostalgia and personal memories are probably part of the current deadhead mentality, but for some of us, the musical evolution of the performances is also an interesting part of it. For some, the music both filters and focuses the spiritual, emotional and philosophical aspects of life, while for others, they just like dancing to a groovy jam.

Apologies to starbiker for semi derailing his thread. But dang it all, he went and put Wake Of The Flood, another (almost) excellent Grateful Dead studio album, in the Crap CD Collection. I'll grant that it's flawed, but it debuted some great tunes that are among the band's most creative stuff.
Old 11-05-18, 04:29 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 45 Posts
For the record I really disliked dead heads when I was younger. The following them around made little sense to me either. But as I have gotten older I do like their music.
Depending on how old you are you were into new wave, and punk, or more into late 60's, early 70's classic rock. I was, and still am a classic rock fan. But my tastes are much broader with classical, and jazz.
Still, the crappy comment has been a gag since I started this thread, and some of you did not get it.
Old 11-23-18, 07:51 PM
StarBiker

Another crappy one from today. The pickins have been slim lately. Still sealed. Funny, I found this same record at the same junk shop in the Spring scratched. Now I find it sealed.
You can listen to it on Youtube.
One thing that baffles me is they put this neat woodcut like image on the cover of an Indian in a canoe in New York Harbor, and then put these half ass pictures of themselves right above it. Who thinks this stuff up.......

Last edited by StarBiker; 11-23-18 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 08:42 PM
StarBiker

Old 11-24-18, 07:40 AM
StarBiker

^
Those are very crappy. Those are the kinds of pressings the junk shop buyers usually buy when there is nothing else in the pile, but they have to have some records.
There was this kid 10 days ago I was trying to convince to not waste his money. I have seen him before rarely and he is always looking stuff up on his phone. He was buying worthless classical 78's when he realized the other stuff he was buying was worthless.
The wacky world of thrifts......
Check out the Mercury pressing of Firebird, and make sure if you ever find it it's in stereo. The mono copy is worthless.
Turnabout label classical records are worthless. It's the Avant stuff the label released, and even it has limited value.

Old 11-24-18, 08:37 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 333 Posts
that iabd is one of my favourite albums…if you love the album and ever see a mint speakers corner re-issue (pallas pressed/analog mastered) and your system does deep bass and searing violin well it will give you a BIG
Old 11-24-18, 09:00 AM
StarBiker

Just get on discogs on pick up a copy. It is a cool record. Just not worth much. I think a lot of that Columbia late 60's oddball stuff is undervalued. Is what it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPANESE-IMPORT-ITS-A-BEAUTIFUL-DAY-WHITE-BIRD-DAVID-LA-FLAMME-MINT-MINUS/192735862602?hash=item2cdff3df4a:g:SWEAAOSwIbtb-WOa:rk:8f:1&frcectupt=true

Last edited by StarBiker; 11-24-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 10:19 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 333 Posts
but that’s not the speakers corner re-issue. according to popsike the last one sold on eBay was in 2015 for $35 (none are listed at the moment) which was a good price for it then. they are now hard to find as most have kept it. i'm probably more interested in pressing, analog mastering and condition quality than most though.....
Old 11-24-18, 11:24 AM
StarBiker

Old 06-26-20, 06:12 AM
StarBiker