Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Apparel?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike Apparel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 09:02 PM
MeagreAger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vertically challenged, ha! Good alternative to 'short'. In the second picture, it seems they're posing for the purpose of showing their stomachs too.
Old 07-04-20, 09:03 PM
MeagreAger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's that you're wearing across the bridge of your nose? Is your septum pierced too or is that part of the upper thing?
Old 07-04-20, 09:10 PM
MeagreAger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool hat
Old 07-04-20, 10:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Hope this is not a repeat thread but just wondering what people wear when riding their vintage road bikes?
The same stuff as when I ride my non vintage road bikes.
I dont view the bike as the determined for how I should dress.

If I am riding with the family or riding for under 90min, ill typically wear a quick dry t-shirt, some compressions, and mtb shorts or whatever shorts I have on. Its 50/50 as to if I wear running shoes or spd cycling shoes as it usually depends on which bike I choose.
If I am riding for 90min or more its almost certainly on my own or with the your team I work with and I plan to ride hard. So some bibs and a jersey are worn because its simply more comfortable the longer and harder I ride. Spd shoes every time for these rides.

...and always a quick dry cycling cap under the helmet, usually backwards.
Old 07-04-20, 10:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I thought to ride vintage you needed the prerequisite pot belly.
I had one of those but all this bike riding keeps stealing my precious reserves of belly fat. I need to start drinking beer and eating donuts again to recover my peak C&V form.
Old 07-05-20, 07:57 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I had one of those but all this bike riding keeps stealing my precious reserves of belly fat. I need to start drinking beer and eating donuts again to recover my peak C&V form.
HeeHee.
Looking good C-Cat.
Old 07-05-20, 08:09 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Wear whatever is comfortable to you. Just make sure they fit right because I sure as Hell don't want to see any plumber's crack on the trails. Seen it a few times on guys and I wouldn't want to see it on ladies either.
Old 07-05-20, 08:16 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The same stuff as when I ride my non vintage road bikes.
I dont view the bike as the determined for how I should dress.
I am of similar mind and would dress the same if I had a bike less than 30 years old.

Otto
Old 07-05-20, 02:35 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I never knew wool jerseys actually existed?
<snip...>
What did 80's cycling shoes look like?
Uh, yep wool jerseys. Still a good choice if it's a bit chilly when you start, but will get warm later. If you're really curious, look in some old Palo Alto Bike shop catalogs.
(scroll down for the download). Oh yeah, standard procedure was to put a sheet of newspaper under your jersey in the front if it was chilly. This was before stowable windbreakers.

80's cycling shoes for the most part looked like the ones that came before. Black leather, with a bunch of holes punched in them, and laces. By the 80s pretty much all shoes had an adjustable plastic slotted cleat. By the late 80's, as clipless was slowly but steadily taking over, things go a little wackier WRT colors and design. Last slotted cleat shoes I had were some silver leather Rivats. They were lace up, but had a velcro flap to cover the laces IIRC. New wave man.

Cycling clothes then as now were primarily meant to be functional. If you were going to ride for 3 or 4 hours +, basketball shorts are going to be pretty uncomfortable. Cycling shorts didn't chafe, and managed your sweat better. Jerseys, even wool ones, didn't flap around in the wind and slow you down, and the pockets in the back were convenient for keeping your keys, a couple bucks and some change, maybe a patch kit, and couple bananas. Shoes were always considered to be the most important clothing. There was a saying something like shoes make as much difference as a new better bike. To this day even if i'm out for a casual ride in floppy clothes, I'll still always wear cycling shoes.
Old 07-05-20, 03:12 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
it is nice and fun to have some vintage jerseys, as well as repro's of vintage jerseys. I've managed to acquire a handful of Raleigh jerseys to go with my Team and International.

These two are from the early 80's, I believe.....

this is very early 80's, as used by the SRC (Skunk River Cyclists). I wore this one day at the 2015 NAHBS, and was surprised at the folks who would pull me aside and tell me their SRC stories.

an early 70's jersey with front pockets and embroidered RALEIGH text.

and a modern reproduction, suitable for hot & humid days.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 07-05-20, 07:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Huh really cool to see all the responses and I will admit to being naïve about the different options. I never knew wool jerseys actually existed? I ride my vintage bike for fun mostly and leave the long rides for my newer road bikes with cycling jersey, lycra cycling shorts and clipped in pedals. When I do these rides, it's a production and I really hate all the preparation and much prefer a pair of comfortable shorts, a t shirt and running shoes but if you ride in summer weather these get sweaty real quick. If I know I'm going for a longer ride I put on gym shorts and technical performance t shirt.
What did 80's cycling shoes look like?
Soft merino wool was surprisingly comfortable even in hot humid weather. It wicks sweat well, and compared with cotton doesn't get as chilly when wet from rain and wind chill.

People differ in skin nerve receptors, which is why some folks are comfortable in wool while others find it unbearable. But merino wool is much softer than the type of wool associated with wool Army blankets, Pendleton shirts and my old Navy pea coat.

I prefer synthetics now, especially for jerseys. Much easier to care for, no worries about blocking and stretching or shrinking. No worries about critters nibbling on wool. Just as effective at wicking sweat, cooling in summer or staying warm in winter.

Detto Pietro made the classic shoe that was most common up until clipless was developed in the late 1980s. I got a pair of Dettos in the 1970s and wore 'em for years. But I wouldn't go back now unless an event ride required them. The fixed metal cleat position without float was bad for my legs even when I was in my 20s. It'd be miserable now. It's probably possible to design hard plastic cleats with some float.

Part of the problem I had back then was the misguided notion that there was one and only one proper foot position and pedaling style, regardless of individual differences in physiology. I usually ended up with shin splints, arch cramps and knee pain on longer rides. Nowadays with clipless I shove the cleats as far back as possible and I'd prefer the cleats nearly under the arch in the middle of the foot, rather than under the ball of the foot. When I ride my hybrids with flat pedals I rarely use the balls of my feet on the pedals.

And cleated shoes with toe clips and straps weren't practical for commuting. Occasionally I'd wear them to and from work, leaving the left foot strap loose. But those metal cleats were like ice skates setting a foot down on gritty mixes of sandy pebbles at intersections. I switched to sneakers for commutes.
Old 07-05-20, 08:23 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Started out in t shirt and dockers with band around right leg.... Soaked in sweat both ways. Lycra, now, because it works!

Shoes are reinforced/steel toed, leather, work boots (usually low quarter) with good heel. Waterproofish, not too hot, and keeps me on the platform pedals.