Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bontrager IsoZone Bar and Grips a Marketing Ploy?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bontrager IsoZone Bar and Grips a Marketing Ploy?

Old 05-06-15, 10:27 PM
  #1  
BrockLee
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager IsoZone Bar and Grips a Marketing Ploy?

Yes, in my opinion they are a marketing ploy. I say that only because that's the exact bar and grips that are stock on my Trek 7.3 FX and I notice no difference versus the traditional bar I used to have on my old bike. In fact, I'm getting ready to replace them both.

If you have this bar and grip combo, what are YOUR thoughts?
BrockLee is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 07:07 AM
  #2  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,109

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Vibration dampening material inside metal bars, is proven technology......
Wanderer is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 07:28 AM
  #3  
Grey.
Senior Member
 
Grey.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 478

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They work great. As comfortable as you can get without bar ends.
Grey. is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 10:19 AM
  #4  
BrockLee
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I notice no difference, proven technology or not. And this setup may indeed dampen the vibration, but I can't say that it seems to dampen it any more than a traditional riser and good grips. Switching to Oval Concepts 200 bar (in white) and Ergon GE1 grips.

I have about 200 miles on the IsoZone bars and grips. I'll soon be selling them.

Originally Posted by Grey. View Post
They work great. As comfortable as you can get without bar ends.
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Vibration dampening material inside metal bars, is proven technology......
BrockLee is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 10:31 AM
  #5  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,109

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
It's your money, and you can spend it how you please......
Wanderer is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 11:19 AM
  #6  
FenderTL5
Senior Member
 
FenderTL5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 794

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the IsoZone bar and grips, my palms don't feel numb at the end of the week the way they did without them.
I have the same bike, a Trek 7.3FX and I take short rides <5miles without gloves.
FenderTL5 is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 11:57 AM
  #7  
Grey.
Senior Member
 
Grey.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 478

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did a 20 mile ride today on the Trek and felt great afterwards.
Grey. is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 12:13 PM
  #8  
sh00k
Senior Member
 
sh00k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 926

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've had the isozone grips on 3 bikes now and for my typical rides (less than 40 miles), they work great to reduce vibration especially when I hold them "loosely" over really rough surfaces. from a ton of reading I've done online, there's no single answer to whether or not they're good for you. some people swear by them, some people say they add zero value. the answer will vary based on who you ask and this goes for almost any product you buy

my only (small) gripe with them is that they sometimes move but that's when I am holding on tight or twisting them for some reason haha aside from that, they do a good job. on my rides north of 40 miles, my wrists get fatigued but I think that's caused more by riding for 3+ hours than the grips themselves.
sh00k is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 05:05 PM
  #9  
BrockLee
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed the grips move also. They twist. And since they have that little palm rest you notice when they twist a little. My rides are generally 10-15 miles.
Originally Posted by sh00k View Post
...my only (small) gripe with them is that they sometimes move...
BrockLee is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 05:08 PM
  #10  
BrockLee
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that, Mr. Obvious. Haha! However, if you're implying that I've spent a significant amount of money to replace the bar and grips you're wrong. After I sell the Bontrager bar and grips I should come pretty close to breaking even thanks to eBay.
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
It's your money, and you can spend it how you please......
BrockLee is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 07:10 PM
  #11  
steve_cay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 263

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sh00k View Post
my only (small) gripe with them is that they sometimes move but that's when I am holding on tight or twisting them for some reason
No idea if the Bontrager IsoZone grip is the same design as the Bontrager Satellite Elite, but I had the same problem with mine twisting an eighth of an inch or so with a clicking feeling and driving me crazy ... coincidentally I posted a fix yesterday on the TREK DS thread #539:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...l#post17782449
steve_cay is offline  
Old 05-07-15, 09:16 PM
  #12  
yashinon
Senior Member
 
yashinon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 744

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BrockLee View Post
Yes, in my opinion they are a marketing ploy. I say that only because that's the exact bar and grips that are stock on my Trek 7.3 FX and I notice no difference versus the traditional bar I used to have on my old bike. In fact, I'm getting ready to replace them both.

If you have this bar and grip combo, what are YOUR thoughts?
Changed the bar and grips!
yashinon is offline  
Old 05-08-15, 06:23 AM
  #13  
sh00k
Senior Member
 
sh00k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 926

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_cay View Post
No idea if the Bontrager IsoZone grip is the same design as the Bontrager Satellite Elite, but I had the same problem with mine twisting an eighth of an inch or so with a clicking feeling and driving me crazy ... coincidentally I posted a fix yesterday on the TREK DS thread #539:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...l#post17782449
Thanks for the heads up, steve. I read through your post and I will try your fix out this weekend. enjoy the ride!
sh00k is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
crazyravr
Hybrid Bicycles
14
08-05-19 10:12 AM
Eric91Z
Hybrid Bicycles
13
03-19-18 09:19 AM
Atakuweh
Hybrid Bicycles
20
08-01-16 08:27 AM
cashmonee
Hybrid Bicycles
5
05-31-12 10:40 AM
rod330
Hybrid Bicycles
9
05-02-11 05:54 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.