Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Phone Holder For Samsung S6 Edge?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 10:20 AM
AusSi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey All!

So I did spot this one: Velocity Clip & Bike Mount for All Smartphones

But was hoping you guys could share your wisdom on what the best phone holders are. This one above will only hold the phone horizontally which is ok but not optimal.

Also on a side note, what are the best light weight flashing lights for night riding?
Old 09-09-15, 11:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by AusSi
Hey All!

So I did spot this one: Velocity Clip & Bike Mount for All Smartphones

But was hoping you guys could share your wisdom on what the best phone holders are. This one above will only hold the phone horizontally which is ok but not optimal...
I have an I-phone 6+ that looks similar to the one in the picture, and I think that device looks cool, if you want to video. My requirements are to have the phone easily accessible, and protected:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I carry a cell phone for communication, in particular because I am often on call for work; for navigation; as a camera; and as a listening device. I like to keep my I-Phone 6+ on my chest close to my head so I can hear it, and have it easily accessible to answer a call, take a photo, or spot my position on the confusing, haphazard thoroughfares of Metro Boston. Earlier this year I replied to this thread, ”Water proof cases for iPhones”, describing a badge holder suspended from the neck, in which it nicely fit.

Eventually, the weight of the phone on my neck became a nuisance, so I started carrying it in a side pocket inside my cycling vest, but then it was less readily available, harder to quickly pick up a call, and more awkward to use for the other tasks.

So my final, and most satisfactory innovation was to buy a Hidden Security Waist Wallet with a top zippered opening, and a pair of suspenders with clips. I then shortened the front suspender straps as short as possible, and fashioned a “shoulder holster” as it were, that comfortably holds the I-phone high to make it easily accessible.

I call it an ”I-bra.” . As mentioned above, I usually wear a yellow cycling vest, so the holster doesn’t show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0901.jpg (92.9 KB, 4 views)
DSCN0905.jpg (86.5 KB, 4 views)
DSCN0906.jpg (77.1 KB, 4 views)
DSCN0908.jpg (66.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-09-15, 01:55 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Most people carry their phones in their jersey pockets or saddle packs. A phone with a 5 inch diagonal screen should fit comfortably in a jersey pocket.

I sometimes use this case when I'm using my phone for navigation. The smallest size they have should fit a GS6. This case provides more protection against weather and crashes than the one you suggest. Smartphone batteries only last a couple of hours when you have the screen turned on and map displayed, so this is mostly for commuting, not recreational riding. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8IRP3G
Old 09-09-15, 07:12 PM
vdubbed81

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Universa...e+holder+aduro

So far I have no problems with it at all. It's sturdy, doesn't move, and seems to keep my phone in place. It's also pretty easy to switch from portrait and landscape if needed.
Old 09-09-15, 07:37 PM
AusSi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Johnny and Vdub those are both great solutions!!! Dam it. I already ordered that Velocity one. I particularly like the look of that aduro as it can do both landscape and upright. I may have to pick one of those up as well.

Thanks for the other suggestions too guys, but i need to be able to see it so I can navigate the complex streets of NYC.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 09-10-15, 08:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Bar Bag, their penultimate & top model has a touch friendly window on the Top.

View the ULTIMATE 6 M PRO at https://www.ortliebusa.com

NYC is a grid; Avenues run one way , Streets run cross town Whats the complex? London (England) is different..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-10-15 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 08:16 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I recommend packing it away in a bag or carrier. If you can't put the phone down long enough to go for a ride (Or anything else, for that matter), there's something wrong with you.
Old 09-10-15, 08:21 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Jersey pocket, inside a plastic bag to protect from sweat.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-10-15, 11:17 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Needles
I recommend packing it away in a bag or carrier. If you can't put the phone down long enough to go for a ride (Or anything else, for that matter), there's something wrong with you.

I carry a cell phone for communication, in particular because I am often on call for work; for navigation; as a camera; and as a listening device. I like to keep my I-Phone 6+ on my chest close to my head so I can hear it, and have it easily accessible to answer a call, take a photo, or spot my position on the confusing, haphazard thoroughfares of Metro Boston.[/B]
Do you…have a job?...have a family?. Are you invincible to any emergencies or problems that might arise while “going for a ride”?

To paraphrase the old Navy recuiting slogan, "A bike...It's not just ‘a ride,’ it’s a way of life.”

(“Navy…it’s not just a job, it’s an adventure.”)
Old 09-10-15, 12:40 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have two jobs and a family. My phone is as accessible as I need it to be. I have it with me on rides; I just don't let it interfere. I use it for phone calls and texts, usually to and from my patients. I use it on long road trips to find restaurants, gas stations, or hotels. The camera is nice, too. Never needed the GPS. If I can't deduce my location from road signs, landmarks, etc. I usually just ask. Besides, I can read a map, and, in the car there is an atlas. The whole point of texting is that you don't have to answer immediately. Forgetting that is what gets drivers or others killed. I'm from the wrong generation, I'll tell you up front. As far as I can tell, ALL people under 35 or 40 have a form of ADD. They fill their minds with useless extraneous information and panic if they get "unplugged." Really, that's not a criticism--- I don't personally care how you use or don't use your mind--- it's an observation.

I work closely with the ER in one of my jobs. The ER gets several tech zombies a day who were staring at their phone and stepped off the curb, and some who were doing the same while on bicycles. On the local MUPs, at least half of everyone is listening to their phone, whether walking, running, or cycling. I use a bell for the simple reason that they are more likely to hear that than my voice when I pass them. Hospitals have had to make it a firing offense to be caught on your phone at work. A smart phone can be useful, but it's not your life.
Old 09-10-15, 02:39 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Needles
Do you…have a job?...have a family?. Are you invincible to any emergencies or problems that might arise while “going for a ride”?
So, how does putting your phone in a bag or jersey pocket prevent you from accessing it in the event of any of those dire situations?
Old 09-10-15, 02:58 PM
Drifta89

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a case very similar to this (https://goo.gl/IoXdur) for Christmas. It is pretty bulky but I can easily fit my S6, battery power pack for emergencies, and keys with no issue. I like the fact that phone is very secure (I don't worry about it coming loose from a mount if I hit a bump), and it is protected from the elements in case it begins to rain. I can also use the touch screen without removing it from the case.

It's not the coolest looking accessory on my bike, but it is very functional for my needs.