Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chamois allergy

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 07:07 PM
jlj

Bikes: Trek 7.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chamois allergy

Hello, I am wondering if any road riders have an allergy to Chamois, the pad.
I have been riding for 6 years using Bontrager race shorts. Suddenly, according to my dermatologist I have an allergy to the material.
I have used Specialize shorts as well.
I have always used Chamois Butt'r to reduce friction even on short 10 mile rides.
Since this episode I tried Assos. No improvement.
Is there anyone else who has experienced something like this? Please say yes!
As a side note:
I am always out of my shorts ASAP, I take episomes baths and wash my shorts after each ride.
I have changed detergent from Tide to a natural product, cold water, hang dry.
Okay, you get the point.

I usually ride 60-to 120 mins and use a quick pack Chamois Butt'r when I feel the rawness.
I am 69 yrs old and in very good physical condition (mental is another matter- and this doesn't help).
So, that the post. Any serious (or hilarious) responses are welcome, I'm not proud or vain.

jlj
Old 04-16-17, 07:13 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Can't help you. I don't wear padded shorts at all. Personal preference. 64 and neither proud nor vain.

Old 04-16-17, 07:21 PM
MarioT

Bikes: 1998 Trek 8000SL, 2013 Madone 3.1, 2016 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked for padded shorts that the pad is made of another material?
Old 04-16-17, 08:02 PM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had problems with certain ones seem to be related to colder weather I usually wear sport underwear if I think there might be a bad reaction. So your not alone I acually put a glove down my pants once because my junk was turning bright red.
Old 04-16-17, 08:37 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Pads are usually synthetic and not subject to allergies. Are you sure you're not allergic to the chamois cream? I haven't used cream since the last time I used *real* chamois.
Old 04-16-17, 08:45 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The thing that stands out in the OP for me is that he is riding relatively brief periods on the bike, but is suffering from chafe. Surely there is a bike fit issue in there. Maybe that should be checked. To me, there should be no need whatsoever to use any type of cream on the butt for such short rides.

seedsbelize probably has a good point. The OP should try riding in athletic compression shorts without a pad to see if that makes a difference.

I always thought Bontrager and Specialized were so inextricably linked that their products were one and the same and that might be why there is a similar reaction to both pairs of shorts. Also, it might be time to try something like adding borax to the washing mix, or at least some vinegar to the rinse cycle (without softener) to help kill of any bacteria that may be lingering because of the cold wash.
Old 04-16-17, 08:53 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I tend to sweat a lot down there, and tight fitting clothes makes it worse.

I've found loose, lightweight clothing that allows air to circulate without any additional pads to hold in heat, and using powder solves the issue.
Old 04-16-17, 09:00 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Could be a latex allergy. They tend to increase over time.

Could also be a metal allergy as metal ions are showing up to fight microbes. I cannot wear silver myself, I get a rash.
Old 04-16-17, 11:19 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The thing that stands out in the OP for me is that he is riding relatively brief periods on the bike, but is suffering from chafe. Surely there is a bike fit issue in there. Maybe that should be checked. To me, there should be no need whatsoever to use any type of cream on the butt for such short rides.

seedsbelize probably has a good point. The OP should try riding in athletic compression shorts without a pad to see if that makes a difference.

I always thought Bontrager and Specialized were so inextricably linked that their products were one and the same and that might be why there is a similar reaction to both pairs of shorts. Also, it might be time to try something like adding borax to the washing mix, or at least some vinegar to the rinse cycle (without softener) to help kill of any bacteria that may be lingering because of the cold wash.
Bontrager is owned by Trek which has nothing to do with Specialized.
Old 04-17-17, 06:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,415 Times in 2,752 Posts
You need to rule out the butter. Ride w/o or use Body Glide. Actually I prefer the Gold Bond similar product available in the Walmart pharmacy section.
Old 04-17-17, 07:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
A causal swimmer growing up I began swimming daily in my late 20s. After four years I developed an allergy, or sensitivity to chlorine that persists to this day. It affects me primarily on my sinuses, but sometimes causes a mild rash on my cheeks, chin and chest. I found antihistamines help, as did nasonex and other steroidal sprays. I also had a girlfriend who developed an allergy to a pet after 5 years.
Old 04-17-17, 07:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
do you really need all that lube? have you tried thinner lined trishorts? instead of the thicker conventional liner? I eventually migrated to & have remained with these. the price has come down

ZOOT Men's Performance Tri 9" Shorts $45.57

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOT-Performa...rts&th=1&psc=1
Attached Images
Old 04-17-17, 10:06 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
It has been a long time since the liner/pad was actually made of animal leather but I still treat them the same and wash the shorts in Woolite, which is a detergent associated with hand-washing delicate items. The idea is mainly soak the shorts and then... rinse thoroughly to get out all of the detergent.
Old 04-17-17, 10:25 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
This may or may not be related. I've had rash resulting from the elastic in bike socks and from the lower leg area of bike shorts. I've not been able to find a specific cause and had to throw the offending items in the trash. The shorts were Voler. I was hoping to support a domestic company but when I inquired of the company for a possible cause I got no response. These days there are all sort of chemicals used in manufacturing and I seem to be allergic to one or more of them. I'm using Pearl Izumi now and have also used Castelli with no rash.
Old 04-17-17, 11:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
My first thought thought is to change things. Maybe one at a time do you can (perhaps) pinpoint the problem. First I would change the Chamois Butt'r to something else. I'd go with Bag Balm first. Highly unlikely that if the problem is in the butter that Bag Balm contains it also. (Bag Balm is also cheap and a good product to have around foe a number of applications.)

Stlll have problems? Go to another shorts manufacturer. I'd try Segoi. Quality stuff and being Canadian, they may well get their materials from a different supply chain.

This approach will have you spending the small dollars first. Bag Balm is less than $10. Shorts are $50-150. Doctor's visits cost (somebody) more.

Ben
Old 04-17-17, 01:23 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jlj
Hello, I am wondering if any road riders have an allergy to Chamois, the pad.
I have been riding for 6 years using Bontrager race shorts. Suddenly, according to my dermatologist I have an allergy to the material.
I have used Specialize shorts as well.
I have always used Chamois Butt'r to reduce friction even on short 10 mile rides.
Since this episode I tried Assos. No improvement.
Is there anyone else who has experienced something like this? Please say yes!
As a side note:
I am always out of my shorts ASAP, I take episomes baths and wash my shorts after each ride.
I have changed detergent from Tide to a natural product, cold water, hang dry.
Okay, you get the point.

I usually ride 60-to 120 mins and use a quick pack Chamois Butt'r when I feel the rawness.
I am 69 yrs old and in very good physical condition (mental is another matter- and this doesn't help).
So, that the post. Any serious (or hilarious) responses are welcome, I'm not proud or vain.

jlj
No first hand knowledge of this particular issue. Since you mention that your dr has said it is the shorts that are causing the allergic reaction, does he have a specific compound within the short that is the culprit? I have known both people and animals to be allergic to being in contact with latex and neoprene. Do you have this issue with any other synthetic fibers?

I've known wool to cause a hive type reaction once sweat soaked, if it was a dark colored fabric. If it was white/natural, no issue at all.
Old 04-17-17, 03:08 PM
jlj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the response. In retrospect it was stated by the dr that it was a suspected cause, so there was a Rx for a steroid ointment I have been using. I have a follow up Wednesday with "HER", (I'm not embarrassed) we'll see what if anything changes. The Rx has seemed to help butt (pun?) 90 mins in yesterday and 60 on the fatt bike today on the trails was enough for me to saddle off.
I know this is a Road Bike Forum but as I am sure many ride mountain as well I will tell you that after todays ride I had 2 ticks on my socks. April, 17. Very unusual but so is a chamois rash.
Good riding to all and if there is a definitive solution I will post back.

jlj
Old 04-17-17, 03:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You need to rule out the butter. Ride w/o or use Body Glide.
+1

What are the odds three different brands of shorts all have the same outer surface of chamois? (Assuming they're not all outsourced from the same supplier, of course!) Since OP has, apparently recently, bought new shorts from two different suppliers, I think it's unlikely the foam has started leaking through all three brands.
Old 04-17-17, 03:19 PM
jlj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rowen, brief period on the bike is all relative, I do understand that century and half century road riders consider 90 mins, a short period, but my 69 year old body works hard at that 60-120 mins and I thank God I can do it, both road and off road. Yes there are many factors, saddle, fit, shorts, I just posted what the Dr. spouted and thought, hmm, maybe there is another place to get the fix. All these suggestions are valid and I DO appreciate them.

The clock is ticking and I wanna keep peddling. Again thanks to all, and to all a good night. :-)
Old 04-17-17, 05:07 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
If it is really an allergy then whether or not you're cycling shouldn't make a difference. Try wearing the shorts while you're just doing regular activities for the same amount of time and see if you develop the same symptoms.
Old 04-17-17, 06:14 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Did the dermatologist run a panel of tests on you? I spent a period of time with my HMO dermatologist trying to deal with a hand rash. I finally got referred to someone else and he knew what it was. Also prescribed a steroid creme. Side effect of the creme is thinning of the skin at the application site.
Old 04-17-17, 06:33 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Underwear.

Seriously, not everybody wear padded shorts, none of my MAMIL outfits have padding.

In Walmart there is a brand of underwear called Life. They have a couple of those that are made from a light microfiber material. I imagine it would insulate your apparently sensitive parts from the offending padding without adding bulk.

Despite what you doctor says, I doubt you really have an allergy to chamois.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 04-17-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-18-17, 05:27 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
If your episome baths involve yeast or E. coli plasmids, that could be your issue. I have never heard of this sort of thing being theraputic though, but there are some weird health regimens promoted on the i-net. I'd recommend forgoing them in the future.

Doubt that you have an allergy though.
Old 04-18-17, 07:08 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I know that we're supposed to use bike shorts without underwear - which I do. But in the past, I bought (and still have) some seamless synthetic briefs, probably from Performance. They worked fine. You might try that.

In spite of my expert advice, my wife always wears cotton underpants with her bike shorts and never complains about any problems. She's ridden as far as 50 miles in a day.

So, maybe just for the heck of it try wearing underwear.
Old 04-18-17, 09:04 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I know that we're supposed to use bike shorts without underwear -
I must have missed that memo somewhere along the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.