Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

First Citi Bike fatality

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

First Citi Bike fatality

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 10:52 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
First Citi Bike fatality

Citi Biker dies after hit by bus in ride share?s first fatality - NY Daily News

Dan Hanegby, 36, ...... and the bus collided as Hanegby rode between it and a parked car on W. 26th St. between Seventh and Eighth Aves.

He fell and was run over by the rear wheels of the bus, cops said. The 52-year-old bus driver remained at the scene.
So sad.

More info from https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...t-bus-hit-nypd

The operator of the bus and Hanegby both swerved at the same time to avoid hitting something, causing them to strike each other, according to a police source.
I wonder if it's a pothole. Also, currently there are many streets in Manhattan that are in the middle of being repaved.

Last edited by vol; 06-12-17 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 11:02 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
One death in some 43 million miles is a darned good rate anywhere. In a major city, that's astounding, unless you happen to be that one dead person. In spite of this seemingly inevitable tragedy, bikeshare has been shown to be a huge success, which was not a certainty when Citibikes launched.
Old 06-12-17, 11:32 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
'Cyclist Killed by Bus in New York's First Citi Bike Fatality'
A 36-year-old investment banker was killed in Manhattan on Monday morning when the Citi Bike he was riding collided with a charter bus, the first fatality involving New York City's four-year-old bike-share program, the authorities said.

The bicyclist, Dan Hanegby of Brooklyn, was riding on 26th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood around 8:15 a.m. when he swerved to go around a parked van, struck a bus next to him that was traveling in the same direction, tumbled off the bicycle and fell under the bus's rear tires, the police said. Mr. Hanegby sustained severe trauma, the police said, and was pronounced dead at Bellevue Hospital Center.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/n...manhattan.html
Old 06-12-17, 11:37 PM
vol

I'm seeing a lot of Internet comments on this tragedy that call for ban of Citi bikes and bikes in general in NYC, despite 4+ years of Citi Bike without a fatality while others have died as pedestrians or car passengers.
Old 06-12-17, 11:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I'm seeing a lot of Internet comments on this tragedy that call for ban of Citi bikes and bikes in general in NYC, despite 4+ years of Citi Bike without a fatality while others have died as pedestrians or car passengers.
Don't let idiotic letters get to you. There are always people who'll use any excuse to grind their axes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-13-17, 04:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Do those same idiots call for a ban on shoes when pedestrians are killed?
Old 06-13-17, 05:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The thing to watch now will be to see how the lawsuit from the dead guys family turns out, and how it changes the landscape for these businesses moving forward.
Old 06-13-17, 06:39 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
One death in some 43 million miles is a darned good rate anywhere. In a major city, that's astounding
It is isn't it. Probably has to do with the fact the bikes are slow. Seems every time I see a bike mangled up under a truck it's a racer with drop-bars. Speed Kills.
Old 06-13-17, 07:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
buses are killers, gotta stay away from buses. remember riding Comm Ave (Brighton / Allston?) & the freaking things were all over the road. wound up staying way on the left side, of the left lane, to avoid them

side note - Saturday went to a classy patio cocktail lunch at a friends house. Wifey & I sat with a lovely older couple. the conversation was pleasant until it came up that they lost a daughter approx 20? yrs ago who was 15 at the time biking to school 12 miles on a regular basis. I'll spare the long drawn out story & gruesome details, which they shared with us. there was nothing we could say. the pain was deep & came right to the surface when we started talking about ea other's children

lets not diminish the severity of a human death
Old 06-13-17, 08:28 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
buses are killers, gotta stay away from buses.
This, a thousand times this...
Old 06-13-17, 08:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
A great many streets in Manhattan are one-way. On most of the one-way streets, if there is a bike lane, it is almost always on the left, so that puts bikes and buses on opposite sides. Bus drivers are indemnified from certain traffic infractions such as cutting off others. I don't agree with this, but it means we have to let them commit their idiocies and do what it takes to survive. Not that any of this would have saved this man.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-13-17, 09:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Bus drivers are indemnified from certain traffic infractions such as cutting off others
really? wow, kinda wondered why they did it with such impunity
Old 06-13-17, 10:15 AM
Wrenchmore

Bikes: Ciocc World 77, '80s Ciocc, Olmo built Eurospeciale, '50s Express Werke, PX10e, Reynolds Gitane, Fuji Team, plus the parts bike heap

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the description and my personal experience I'd guess the biker was car door'd.
A cyclist does not "swerve" around parked cars?
You swerve when something unexpected suddenly appears IME.
Could be wrong, just guessing...

I'd also guess there are two kinds of Citi bike users; those who have no bikes of their own and are not very dedicated riders, and those who keep better bikes at home but don't want to risk theft for commuting.

I have been hit twice in city riding, once car doored in Boston traffic and once broadsided in NYC traffic.
More in the bike messenger camp, I might be the kind of rider that makes motorists hate cyclists, and while I apologize for being an outlaw biker, it's just what makes the most sense in defensive riding.
Go when there is a gap I like, rather than when everybody goes into the gap.

I guess I can empathize with the smashed human being because I've been hurt by cars and it's a glaring memory.
The guy who broadsided me was looking me straight in the eye as he stepped on it and hit me riding across his path in a crosswalk, where he was stopped for a pedestrian going the other way.

I've watched a cabbie and a hit cyclist screaming at each other about the crash.
NYC drivers get terrorized by cyclists, and I was far from the worst, never really having a death wish or combative attitude, just ignoring traffic signals and going when the poor impatient motorists were stopped.

So if one death has a community calling to ban cycling, it's bigger politics, and likely none of the outcry comes from personal caring for the dead guy.
Old 06-13-17, 10:22 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A great many streets in Manhattan are one-way. On most of the one-way streets, if there is a bike lane, it is almost always on the left, so that puts bikes and buses on opposite sides. Bus drivers are indemnified from certain traffic infractions such as cutting off others. I don't agree with this, but it means we have to let them commit their idiocies and do what it takes to survive. Not that any of this would have saved this man.
There is no bike lane on W 26th Street.

There are no transit buses on W 26th Street.

There *should* be no private buses on W 26th Street between 8th Ave and 7th Ave, unless they were picking up or dropping off at a 2xx W 26th address.

Police were of course *not* stopping private buses operating cross town.
Police were of course stopping people on bicycles.

-mr. bill
Old 06-13-17, 10:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,430 Posts
This was on a crosstown street. These are typically wide enough for 2 lanes of parked cars and 2 lanes of slow moving cars, though it's very tight and traffic is usually one lane, except when it compresses at corners.

The report was that the cyclist and (charter) bus were side by side, which would be pretty normal, and leaves some room to maneuver, but not enough (for example) for both to pass a double parked car at the same time.

So, it's very possible, even likely that a collision could occur if both attempted to pass a pinch point at the same time.

From the very limited information, it seems that maybe the bus moved across to go around something (double parked car?) and hit the cyclist with the side of the bus. But this is only one of a number of possible scenarios.

I don't know whether the cyclist erred by either trying to go around something unsafely, or simply failed to expect that the bus next to him might move over to squeeze by.

The takeaway is that we need to stay sharp near buses, especially when in possible blind spots, but the reality is that riding in urban traffic calls for staying sharp all the time anyway.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-13-17, 12:10 PM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
If I am alongside a bus and it turns my way I immediately execute my ditching plan. I don't treat it as a normal traffic event.
Old 06-13-17, 12:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Why is bad driving an acceptable norm?

If the bus were a self-driving vehicle, the cyclist would be alive.
Old 06-13-17, 12:45 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrenchmore
....those who keep better bikes at home....
From dnainfo

"He was a real nice fellow," said Julius Erdei, the superintendent of the seven-unit building Hanegy moved into three years ago. "He loved his wife and his kids. A real family man. They are such nice people."

Erdei saw Hanegby's wife on Tuesday morning, when she told him that her husband's body would be flown back to Israel for his burial.

"She was crying so badly that even I cried," Erdei said.

The super recalled Hanegby's passion for cycling, noting that the banker had four bikes neatly lined up in the storage room and a stationary bike, too. Every Sunday, Erdei, would see Hanegby leaving on a racing bike.

"His life was bicycling," Erdei said.
-mr. bill
Old 06-13-17, 03:52 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't share a lane with any bus.
Old 06-13-17, 03:56 PM
vol

It seems he was just making a very short trip to his office after getting off from the subway train on Monday morning, since he was traveling eastward on the 26th st.. He lived in Brooklyn, Credit Suisse office is at Madison Ave. and 24th st. This is how many of the Citibike users use the bike share, I think.
Old 06-13-17, 07:32 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Probably has to do with the fact the bikes are slow... Speed Kills.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”― Jeremy Clarkson
Old 06-13-17, 08:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Lets stop right now with the personal attacks.

Let it go.
Old 06-13-17, 08:49 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for tidying up the thread @cb400bill. I'll be more circumspect in my comments in future.
Old 06-13-17, 09:20 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
This was on a crosstown street.

From the very limited information, it seems that maybe the bus moved across to go around something (double parked car?) and hit the cyclist with the side of the bus. But this is only one of a number of possible scenarios.
I know that street very well. This is a crosstown street that has no bus service because it's very narrow where only one car can drive through it. You could have a bus but that would be very tight and a cyclist would have to take the lane. There's no way a bus driver would try to lane split a cyclist on that street because that would be flat out insane.

I suspect traffic between the streets were bumper to bumper and the cyclist was lane splitting the bus. Once the light turned green, the bus avoided an open door or something and crushed the cyclist. It wouldnt' take much of a turn to do this.

I always make it a habit to never lane split a truck of any size. However, I'm going to have to be extra careful with buses now.

I felt bad reading that story because he left behind a family. My condolences.
Old 06-13-17, 10:06 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
*peeks in, looks around*

*leaves*
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.