Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Large phones in cycling jersey pocket a problem?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 09:22 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Looking to purchase a new cell phone, larger then my current one that fits nicely into my jersey pocket with air to spare, and curious to hear if those who have such phones (5.5-6 inches or larger, big enough that they protrude from the pocket) have had any problems losing them? On one occasion, my phone wasn't pushed all the way down in the pocket (probably protruding a couple of inches like a larger phone would) and it worked its way out and took a tumble down the road, so I'm a little concerned about that possibility.

I ride in a pretty low position, and in the drops I'm flat-backed...not sure if that makes you more susceptible to losing the phone than a more upright position or not.

Comments, experiences?
Old 09-04-17, 09:37 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My Galaxy S5 is 5 3/4 inches tall. It's not even close to peeking out the top of my jersey pockets.

It's waterproof, which is great for cycling, I don't need to worry about sweat or rain. (The touch screen basically doesn't work reliably if it has water on the surface, though)

I got a Speck case for it, which has thin raised rubber ribs, and a rubber edge around the screen to protect it face down on a table. It's a secure grip if I pull it out while riding.

It's even less likely to fall out of a jersey or pants pocket with the friction from the ribs.

One of these types:

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-04-17 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 10:49 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Some of the new 6 inch phones with minimal bezels are barely larger than last year's 5 inch phones with huge bezels. Personally, I would never carry a phone in my pocket if it didn't fit securely completely inside the pocket. If you really have to buy a giant phone, you can always put it in a seat bag or a top tube bag.
Old 09-04-17, 11:05 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 96 Posts
You could also get a secure mount to carry your phone on the handlebars.
Old 09-05-17, 12:48 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I have a large 5.9" phone and on training rides, the phone along with other odds and ends (keys, wallet with cash and ID card, etc) goes into a ziplock bag that fits in my jersey pockets. The additional items help contribute to a snug fit though admittedly, I always reach behind and check my belongings after going through a particularly rough stretch of road of after hopping over speed bumps.

On more recreational or exploratory rides, however, the phone goes into a top tube bag but due to its size, I had to pick a relatively large bag to fit (a Topeak large fuel tank).
Old 09-05-17, 07:44 AM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
I have a large 5.9" phone and on training rides, the phone along with other odds and ends (keys, wallet with cash and ID card, etc) goes into a ziplock bag that fits in my jersey pockets. The additional items help contribute to a snug fit though admittedly, I always reach behind and check my belongings after going through a particularly rough stretch of road of after hopping over speed bumps.

On more recreational or exploratory rides, however, the phone goes into a top tube bag but due to its size, I had to pick a relatively large bag to fit (a Topeak large fuel tank).
Keys, ID, credit card/cash go into my seat bag.

Phone in jersey pocket unless it's a longer ride, it goes in the same top tube bag you have along with my snacks.
Old 09-05-17, 09:14 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Galaxy S8+, fits fine in my jersey pockets.
Old 09-05-17, 10:38 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Considering you can put a water bottle in a jersey pocket, I can't imagine any phone not fitting. My iphone 5 usually ends up sideways by the time I get back from a ride.

I bet an ipad mini would fit in most jersey pockets.
Old 09-05-17, 10:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Just rode a century with an iPhone 7 in a LifeProof case in my back pocket. Back in June I did a 14 day tour that included mountainous roads with the same phone. Never once worried about losing it.
Old 09-05-17, 10:45 AM
Donsell

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Scott Sportster 55

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Samsung Note 5 and have no problems.
Old 09-05-17, 11:01 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Don't own a jersey with pockets. Handlebar bag, frame bag or panniers work well.
Old 10-10-17, 05:16 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
My Nexus 6 fits fine in jersey pockets. That's one of the larger phones, so you should be fine.
Old 10-10-17, 06:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Maybe someday in the future someone will invent and market a bag of some sort that attaches to the bicycle somehow - to carry things in. Wouldn't that be something??
Old 10-10-17, 06:57 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
Maybe someday in the future someone will invent and market a bag of some sort that attaches to the bicycle somehow - to carry things in. Wouldn't that be something??
I'd buy 4 but considering our current technology level I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for such a break through.
Old 10-12-17, 09:31 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I launched a 6s+ out of my jersey pocket bunny hopping a road grating.

In my experience, if the phone feels insecure in the pocket you should either tether it or get a secure way to pocket it, because it will eventually find a way to bounce out.

I once had a garmin pop off the mount crossing the GWB. Luckily (very very luckily) it bounced to the left away from the railing, because there is a 4" gap under the railing then a 200' drop into the Hudson, and it easily could have skittered under that railing. Every time I see a phone come out for bridge pictures, I see my garmin skittering along the ground 20" from the edge.

* lanyard
* plus hook swivel (or id badge clip)
* plus phone case w/ a lanyard slot

Last edited by nycphotography; 10-12-17 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-12-17, 09:39 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My phone doesn't fit in my bag. Do I need to buy a bigger bag?
Old 10-12-17, 09:49 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts

He's a thought. Leave phone at home. Are you man enough?
Old 10-12-17, 10:49 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by trailangel

He's a thought. Leave phone at home. Are you man enough?
Here's a thought. Let other people decide what they need / want. Are you man enough?
Old 10-12-17, 10:52 AM
alfordjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I launched a 6s+ out of my jersey pocket bunny hopping a road grating.

In my experience, if the phone feels insecure in the pocket you should either tether it or get a secure way to pocket it, because it will eventually find a way to bounce out.

I once had a garmin pop off the mount crossing the GWB. Luckily (very very luckily) it bounced to the left away from the railing, because there is a 4" gap under the railing then a 200' drop into the Hudson, and it easily could have skittered under that railing. Every time I see a phone come out for bridge pictures, I see my garmin skittering along the ground 20" from the edge.

* lanyard
* plus hook swivel (or id badge clip)
* plus phone case w/ a lanyard slot
Do you do anything to secure your Garmin now?
Old 10-12-17, 11:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While I dont buy cycling jerseys, my sons bought one for me that has the pocket right in front. Since I ride the type of bike or other 3 wheeled device that I have been told not to mention any more, my S5 lays right on top of my belly close at hand. Not an aero belly, nor is it hidden by a beard since I dont have one.
Old 10-12-17, 11:16 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by alfordjo
Do you do anything to secure your Garmin now?
Yeah, I don't push the buttons when I'm in a place where a mishap could be irrecoverable.

But my Garmin is $250 and other than my current ride in progress has zero data of any value on it.

My phone on the other hand, I secure by using a soft touch case (similar to the above but not ribbed for my pleasure) and by relegating 3-4 jerseys (ones that have pockets don't securely hold my phone tight against my back fully inside the left hand pocket) to trainer duty only.

That said, my Garmin does have a lanyard hole, and I did lanyard it to the mount for a while, but I move it bike to bike so much that it was a pita and I eventually stopped.

On ebay, a 20 pack of camera lanyards is 99c, free shipping.
Old 10-12-17, 11:39 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have a small iPhone (the SE) and carry it in my jersey pocket and it fits ok, but I wouldnt want to be doing the same with my wife's 7+. I'd definitely be concerned about damaging it or having it fall out.
Old 10-12-17, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Looking to purchase a new cell phone, larger then my current one that fits nicely into my jersey pocket with air to spare, and curious to hear if those who have such phones (5.5-6 inches or larger, big enough that they protrude from the pocket) have had any problems losing them? On one occasion, my phone wasn't pushed all the way down in the pocket (probably protruding a couple of inches like a larger phone would) and it worked its way out and took a tumble down the road, so I'm a little concerned about that possibility.

I ride in a pretty low position, and in the drops I'm flat-backed...not sure if that makes you more susceptible to losing the phone than a more upright position or not.

Comments, experiences?
Get someone to sew a zipper on that pocket.
Old 10-12-17, 12:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Jerseys with large zippered pockets is the obvious solution. Summer jerseys are less likely to have this.

Some manufacturers are producing jerseys with flaps inside the pocket to prevent cargo from launching. 7Mesh calls theirs "pocket guards" and they also feature internal sleeves inside the pocket for phones.

Remembering to zip the pocket is fundamental - I lost my keys, ID, credit/debit card and $165 cash when I forgot to zip up the pocket on an Assos jersey several years ago.

-Tim-
Old 10-12-17, 01:10 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
,,,,,,,,,,,,,Phone weenies,,,,,,,,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.