Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ergo Mode

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ergo Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 11:31 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Ergo Mode

The last few years I have been using Ergo Mode when doing my interval sessions indoors. I have found for longer intervals, like sweet spot, it works great. My mind tends to wander and even if my cadence slows down, I am still in my target zone. For shorter high intensity efforts, Ergo Mode doesn’t work as well for me. It feels weird. I feel like it messes up my tempo. My cadence seems higher when E Mode is off. I also feel like I can do more when it is turned off. I am going to try it off for the high intensity stuff and see what happens.
Old 11-11-18, 09:50 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I'm assuming you mean ERG mode, but in general ERG mode only works best when your target numbers are setup to suite your level of fitness. I suspect in your case, while your targets are just about right for threshold (i.e. FTP) work but is set too low for your above-threshold power (e.g. VO2Max), which is why you feel like you can often do better without it. Not sure what sort of training program you're using, but might want to check if whatever you are using has some kind of test to determine the right target numbers for your above-threshold workouts.

Alternatively you can also try to test it yourself, by doing an all-out 5-minute effort and then taking the average power for those 5 minutes (so essentially like an FTP test, but harder and shorter).
Old 11-12-18, 03:23 AM
colnago62

To determine ftp, I use the two 8 minute efforts instead of the 20 minute.

It feels a little laggy and then the resistance comes on like gang busters. My Kickr just died today, so I am going out tomorrow and pick up an H2. Maybe it might feel better on the H2. I might add some ramps to the program which might make it smoother.
Old 11-12-18, 11:30 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
To determine ftp, I use the two 8 minute efforts instead of the 20 minute.

It feels a little laggy and then the resistance comes on like gang busters. My Kickr just died today, so I am going out tomorrow and pick up an H2. Maybe it might feel better on the H2. I might add some ramps to the program which might make it smoother.
Your Kickr just died?? I'd see if there are warranty or service options before dropping a grand on a new system.
Old 11-12-18, 07:18 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by firebird854
Your Kickr just died?? I'd see if there are warranty or service options before dropping a grand on a new system.
Only a one year warranty on Kickrs. Looking on their website, there is only mention of what do do if there is an in warranty issue. I have tried contacting them with zero luck. If it can be repaired, I will sell it.
Old 11-13-18, 01:24 PM
Theycallmegio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

Only a one year warranty on Kickrs. Looking on their website, there is only mention of what do do if there is an in warranty issue. I have tried contacting them with zero luck. If it can be repaired, I will sell it.
ouch. Good luck! Seems like a pricey unit to only have a 1 year warranty
Old 11-13-18, 02:08 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Theycallmegio
ouch. Good luck! Seems like a pricey unit to only have a 1 year warranty
Yeah, I would push them. I've found Wahoo very good at standing behind their products, although to be fair they've been under warranty at the time.

1 year lifespan isn't acceptable, even if that's the scope of the warranty.