Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

30 mph ebike this morning

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

30 mph ebike this morning

Old 11-04-19, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,480 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Ok how about this. Little Susie is riding 5 mph on her sidewalk bike. A regular cyclist is riding 15. Their difference in speed is 10 mph. Or a racer boy doing 20 and a special built E-bike going 30. Again the difference in speed is 10 mph. Same difference!!!!!!
Wow, you sure is good at the maths!

So if Susie is going 5, the regular cyclist is going 15, the racer boy is going 20 and the ebike is going 30, which one is most dangerous to Susie?

And kinetic energy (which is what kills you) increases with the square of the increase in speed, so the 10 mph difference between 20 and 30 is a much bigger deal energy-wise than 5 to 15, especially if this ends up in a head-on. And that's not even accounting for the likelihood that the ebike going 30 is substantially heavier than a non-powered bike going 20.
Old 11-04-19, 05:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 131 Posts
Or one of those "real cyclist" with his head down staring at his front wheel!!!!
"real" is up for debate on someone looking at their front tire. but Yea, those people are a bigger danger than e-bike riders!
Old 11-04-19, 05:13 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

So if Susie is going 5, the regular cyclist is going 15, the racer boy is going 20 and the ebike is going 30, which one is most dangerous to Susie?

And kinetic energy (which is what kills you) increases with the square of the increase in speed, so the 10 mph difference between 20 and 30 is a much bigger deal energy-wise than 5 to 15, especially if this ends up in a head-on. And that's not even accounting for the likelihood that the ebike going 30 is substantially heavier than a non-powered bike going 20.
You are projecting that E-bike riders are all going to ride like jerks. Or be irresponsible.

What is the underlying reason for you thinking that everyone on an e-bike will be irresponsible?
Old 11-04-19, 06:53 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
You are projecting that E-bike riders are all going to ride like jerks. Or be irresponsible.

What is the underlying reason for you thinking that everyone on an e-bike will be irresponsible?
Why are you making junk up? I have not said anything like that. I'm just making the rather obvious point that an ebike rider who is going to be irresponsible has more power to do damage than an irresponsible rider on a nonpowered bike, and we can expect the ebikes to get more powerful and cheaper (more common).
Some ebike riders will ride like jerks, most won't, just like the operators of any other kind of vehicles.
That's twice you've used the word "projecting" in a manner that makes no sense. I'm keeping score.
Old 11-04-19, 07:07 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

Probably the head down wanna be racer boy staring at his front wheel. As I have posted before I have been ran off the bike path 2 or 3 times by such a cyclist.
Old 11-04-19, 07:26 PM
livedarklions
Cogs in back, right?

Probably the head down wanna be racer boy staring at his front wheel. As I have posted before I have been ran off the bike path 2 or 3 times by such a cyclist.
Well, what makes you assume the 30 mph ebiker can't be just as irresponsible?

Your non sequitur is the assumption that the existence of one kind of bad bike rider justifies putting powerful engines on bike paths. The two things have next to nothing to do with each other.
Old 11-04-19, 07:32 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 439 Posts
Well, I've been run off a trail or nearly run off a trail and nearly hit more by E-bikers than by regular non-assisted bicycles even though there are a LOT more bicycles hereabouts.

It seems to me that far too many E-bikers are getting onto an E-bike yet have no bike handling skills or common sense. Common sense such as NOT passing a bicyclist on the bicyclist's right side.

I think that soon around here anyway that E-bikers will have stopped non-assisted bicyclists from using the trails since these E-bikes make it just too dangerous. YMMV

Cheers