Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking For A More Compliant Fork.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 12-07-19, 02:10 PM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm riding a 2019 Niner RLT RDO. I find that the rear of the bike and front of the bike are out of balance. By that I mean the back of the bike feels much more compliant than the front. I guess that is to be expected when the fork has no rider wt. limit and I weigh 155 lbs. I've replaced the stem with a Redshift Shock Stop stem and that has helped. I'm wondering if there is a more compliant fork out there? I'm also looking for a fork with more rake/offset. I have some minor toe overlap with a 38 mm tire on the front which will be more marked with a bigger tire. Forks under consideration include ENVE's G series gravel fork, Parlee's gravel fork and the 3T Luteus II Team Stealth fork. Do any of you have experience with these forks in comparison to the Niner fork? Any other forks you might recommend for my consideration?

Last edited by Krenovian; 12-07-19 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-07-19, 04:25 PM
Krenovian

Bikes: Hers: Volagi Liscio, Kestrel 200 SCI, Niner Jet9 RDO, Ellsworth Truth. His: Kestrel 200 EMS, Niner Jet9, Psyclewerks Wild Hare. Ours: Paketa V2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
#1 thing you could do is run a fork with 1 1/8” straight steerer with a headset reducer. The lack of compliance is almost entirely from the OS headtube and steerer.
I hadn't thought about it from that standpoint. It makes sense.
Old 12-07-19, 05:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Krenovian
I hadn't thought about it from that standpoint. It makes sense.
What spoon said.
your bike with a different steerer width or perhaps better yet- a frame that doesnt have a massively oversized head tube and tapered steerer combo would change the stiffness/harshness.

https://whiskyparts.co/forks/no.9-cx-disc-12-straight

This has a 1 1/8 steerer, is full carbon, and clears 42mm tires. Not sure how the rake and axle to crown measurements compare to your current setup.
Old 12-07-19, 06:37 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Oversized head tubes are a plague on modern gravel bikes. There's no reason for them. Change my mind.

Last edited by shoota; 12-07-19 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-07-19, 06:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Isn't there some thinking that having a steerer that is more flexible than the fork blades contributes to brake shudder, though?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-07-19, 07:19 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Fox Ax, Lauf Grit
Old 12-07-19, 07:59 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Carbon forks and compliance don't go together. Let some air out of your front tire.
Old 12-08-19, 04:10 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
this is a very interesting topic for me. I feel that today's gravel bikes are not balanced in terms of front and rear comfort. It is much easier to engineer compliance at the rear. Front of the bike is much harder but you still have at least 3 things to do. First, like it was already said, it is the headtube and the width of the steerer. Your bike, like many of current gravel bikes, has an oversized headtube so even if the steerer itself is narrow, the headset will keep it from flexing too much. The second thing is the fork length. Generally the longer the fork the more flexing it can exhibit. But too much flex is no good, especially if you have disc brakes (like every gravel bike has now) so don't expect much but for sure longer forks can be more comfortable. And finally, there is something that I discovered recently while testing a GT Grade Carbon bike with its Flip Chip fork. I mean if you move the axle of the fork axis and closer to the rider it will promote more flex and generally more comfortable ride (this is the same patent that my Jamis Renegade bike uses with its ECO compliance fork). Yet again, we are talking about a few percent more compliance. So in the end, if you want a really comfortable front end of the bike, go for something like Specialized Diverge with its Future Shock. From my experience, you will have a hard time finding something more comfortable...

Last edited by sweetspot; 12-08-19 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-14-19, 12:00 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I suspect your more sensitive hands at the handlebars vs. your comparitively less sensitive and well padded arse at the rear is why you feel the front is less compliant. Actually a curved, raked and cantilevered front fork at the front end is likely more compliant than the dual triangulated rear on most biikes though if you could measure it. Also the fact that you instinctively take weight off of the seat by standing a bit when you see bumps also makes the rear seem more compliant. You cannot easily de-weight your front end like you can your rear end.

I have been riding a Lauf Grit fork for about two months now for gravel riding and I have to say it is freakin' amazing. Not only is it a great way to gain compliance with no loss of precision steering, but it has INSTANTLY cured my chronic hand numbness problem! I highly recommend it as a great comfort enhancer with very modest weight penalty. No moving parts either!