Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miele Volta (1990?)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miele Volta (1990?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 03:23 PM
anthonylangford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Miele Volta (1990?)

Hi all, I'm looking for a new classic bike in the Toronto area and I found this Miele Volta listed for $550. I'm curious to find out what year this bike was made. The internal cabling leads me to think that it's from 1990 or later.

What do you think of this bike?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ci...8cm/1491430466
Old 03-10-20, 03:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 03-10-20, 03:57 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Pretty bike and looks to be in decent shape. $550 CAN is around $400 US.That bike would be overpriced for the US market. The parts and frame material (tange infinity) are middling quality. I'll let others speak to what this is worth in Canada.
Old 03-10-20, 04:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Pretty bike and looks to be in decent shape. $550 CAN is around $400 US.That bike would be overpriced for the US market. The parts and frame material (tange infinity) are middling quality. I'll let others speak to what this is worth in Canada.
Tange Infinity tubing makes for a nice riding bicycle. Can't tell what components are on it. Looks to be one of the Exage groupsets. The rear derailleur is a long cage one which means a bigger rear cluster can be put on or a triple crankset. Sometimes a triple crankset can be used with the existing bottom bracket spindle. I've done it a few times by reversing the spindle so that what was the left side is now the right side.

What size wheels are those? Edit. Wheels are 700C

Is the bike a really good fit for you?

Edit. I'm not familiar with that rear derailleur or crankset.
Edit. That rear wheel has a freewheel not a freehub and cassette on it. A freewheel axle setup is weaker than a freehub axle setup due to t he drive side part of the axle being less supported on a freewheel than on a freehub.

The bike looks to be in pristine condition so might be worth the $500.00 asking price if it really fits you well.

Otherwise I'd think the price is a bit high. Maybe the seller will take $400.00 for it.

Another edit. It looks as if it has SIX cogs on t hat freewheel. For me that'd lower the price I'd be willing to pay substantially. Perhaps $300.00 because replacing 6-speed downtube shifters inexpensively (should the rear one break) is very hard to do and going to 7 cogs will cost a fair bit as you need the new shifters as well as a 7-speed freewheel.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 03-10-20 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Looked at the other images in the ad + counted # of cogs
Old 03-11-20, 05:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a 1990-1991 Miele Volta. It was 2nd from the bottom of the road line. While the decal states Tange Infinity, it was only used in the main triangle, with the stays and forks being hi-tensile steel. The Mountain LX rear derailleur is a replacement, likely to accommodate wider range gearing. The front derailleur, shifters and crankset,are the OEM Shimano 300EX. The brakeset also appears to the OEM spec 300EX. The front wheel has the OEM Ambrosio 700C rim, so the hub should also be 300EX. The rear rim looks like a replacement based on the presence on the red decal. It could be a complete replacement wheel. Other obvious replacements include the pedals. The bicycle is 14 speeds.

It's in good cosmetic condition and drivetrain wear appears to be below average but at 30 years of age, an overhaul would still be advisable.. The price seem quite high, even for the GTA in the spring. I'd be in at ~ $350 CDN. For reference, in 1990 the MSRP was $460 CDN.
Old 03-11-20, 06:08 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
On the positive side, it looks to be in excellent condition, and made by a well-regarded (though sadly too short lived) Canadian company. So I concur with Miele Man: if it fits you well, you like the color scheme, and the seller is willing to come down on the price, I'd say go for it.
Old 06-03-20, 07:20 PM
Reggietre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an original Volta and many changes happened to this one
Old 06-03-20, 08:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
It seems that sellers ask high prices in the Toronto area and that they get those prices because Miele was a Canadian manufacturer in Mississauga and the bikes are still much sot after. They are a nice riding bike.

I just bought a Miele Beta with N600 groupset for what is a high price but it's the bike I had in 1984 and is in remarkable condition. Must have been store indoors somewhere for a very long time.

Cheers