Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Toilet paper wars?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Toilet paper wars?

Old 03-13-20, 07:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 706 Posts
Toilet paper wars?

Explain why people are fighting over toilet paper? I know ya need to wipe but getting into a fight over a package of TP? Are people going to use It as currency? Or are people going to TP each other’s trees? I don’t get it
Old 03-13-20, 07:55 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, Maruishi MT18 Frame, Sekine Toledo Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 41 Posts
Step outside yourself and become an observational third party immersed in this mass social experiment. Take notes as to people's behavior and how societal managers will use this crisis as a grab for power. This occurs without fail (i.e. the Patriot Act). During this time in history, I also encourage all to watch or re-watch "Wag the Dog" with Robert DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 03-13-20, 08:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Eric Cartman has the TP thing solved.

Old 03-13-20, 09:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 12014 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 1,872 Posts
Are they still making new South Parks?
Old 03-13-20, 09:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Are they still making new South Parks?
Not sure. I watch plenty or reruns...
Old 03-13-20, 10:20 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 162 Posts
People are feeling powerless in the face of an implacable foe they can't see or stop. Buying shed loads of date roll is their way of taking some control. If it's not already, hand sanitiser will be next.
In the meantime the stuff they actually will need if they get sick are in plentiful supply, cough medicine, for both dry and wet coughs, throat lozenges, paracetamol for fever, oral rehydration mixes etc etc. I had a brutal flu in December, and I needed all that by the truck load. Can't say it was Covid 19 unless that whole conspiracy about it starting in the US military is true (was in Antarctica and the US Air Force fly there) but it sucked, especially since I worked outside. It's now 2 1/2 months later and I still cough stuff up in the mornings.
Incidentally we stocked up on supplies about 3 weeks ago, Blind Freddy could see that Covid19 was going to go ballistic as most countries aren't able to introduce the same social controls China did, since they don't have the same range of coercive threats China does to ensure compliance.
Old 03-13-20, 11:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11490 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 725 Posts
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how much TP the average person uses. I currently use very little. I think when I was really using a lot, a roll might last me a month or so.

But, I'm seeing estimates on the internet of a couple of rolls a week!! Although, perhaps it depends on whether men or women are writing the articles.

So, if it is a roll a month, then a 12 pack would be sufficient to stock up for a year.
If it is a couple of rolls a week, then skip the food and pile on the TP.

Perhaps rather than fighting for the last roll of TP on the shelf, it is time to figure out how to take care of one's needs without cutting down a forest.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-14-20, 12:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8637 Post(s)
Liked 993 Times in 684 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out how much TP the average person uses. I currently use very little. I think when I was really using a lot, a roll might last me a month or so.

But, I'm seeing estimates on the internet of a couple of rolls a week!! Although, perhaps it depends on whether men or women are writing the articles.

So, if it is a roll a month, then a 12 pack would be sufficient to stock up for a year.

Perhaps rather than fighting for the last roll of TP on the shelf, it is time to figure out how to take care of one's needs without cutting down a forest.
Quality of TP is also an issue. That slick industrial stuff they supply at my office is rather poorly designed for the purpose. Quality stuff does the job well, while requiring less quantity.
​​​
So "more" isn't always "better."
Old 03-14-20, 12:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3600 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 749 Posts
Some people and health conditions do warrant more TP than usual. As my mom's health deteriorated with age and her Alzheimer's and tremors worsened, she developed excessive phlegm drainage. The problem worsened after she was intubated for surgery -- she had trouble swallowing. So it wasn't unusual for her to go through a roll of toilet paper every day. My granddad had a similar problem, although his was due to COPD and congestive heart failure related to heavy smoking when he was younger. He quit in his 50s but the damage was done by then and plagued him for the next 25 or so years. He could fill a wastebasket with TP and tissues every day.

I can't think of any alternatives to toilet paper and tissue that wouldn't be much worse for those conditions.

I was my mom's caregiver for her final decade and just got in the habit of keeping plenty of TP around, so I won't run out anytime soon now that I live alone (well, me and the cats). But I bought another bulk pack the other day after realizing the last bulk pack I bought was all single ply. Yeah, you can double and triple up on the single ply stuff, but it's a PITA to use. So I'll stash that in the back of the closet for actual emergencies.
Old 03-14-20, 05:54 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 33 Posts
Keep in mind that there aren't really substitute products for TP. That's part of why when people stock up on supplies, TP goes fast and makes it look like people are nuts. It's pretty much the one product in the store that is meant for the purpose it's meant for.

People may stock up on food also, but there are hundreds or even thousands of food products in a large grocery store in the US. There are products that are perfectly acceptable substitutes for other products. And people even buy lots of stuff (like canned products) they wouldn't normally.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 03-14-20, 06:05 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 162 Posts
The Washlet rules, I use 4 sheets a day only because I cheaped out and didn't get one with a blow dryer...
Old 03-14-20, 06:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 159 Posts
Toilet paper wars?

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Quality of TP is also an issue. That slick industrial stuff they supply at my office is rather poorly designed for the purpose. Quality stuff does the job well, while requiring less quantity.
​​​
So "more" isn't always "better."
Singer Sheryl Crow has posted her estimates:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...usicnews.music

"All I wanna do is have some fun," sang Sheryl Crow once, but it appears her desires have since changed. Now all she wants to do is limit the use of toilet paper to one sheet per visit.

The singer made her declaration in an article for the Huffington Post to help promote her Stop Global Warming College Tour, an 11-date tour explaining the perils of global warming to Americans. Accompanied by Laurie David, activist and wife of comedian Larry David, the pair have been criss-crossing the country in a biodiesel-powered bus spreading the word on the bathroom hygiene of the future.

According to Crow's new strictures, the average person should use "only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where two to three could be required".

Further details were not offered as to the precise nature of these "pesky occasions", though "we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work", she insists.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-14-20 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added quote by genec
Old 03-14-20, 06:59 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 112 Posts
Just what you tree-hugging, toilet paper saving fanatics need:

https://myomigo.com/?msclkid=46e861e...ontent=General
Old 03-14-20, 07:03 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Toilet paper wars?Singer Sheryl Crow has posted her estimates:
The reality is the batroom hygiene of the future should involve a lot less paper and more hygenic washing.

I read one opinion piece that compared American toilets to bedpans with holes...

The Japanese and Finnish folkks have it right... washing is the future.

Even Kohler had future toilets at CES.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18...oilet-ces-2019

In Finland, every pooper had a wash wand nearby... even the corner gas station. And really, not that difficult to retrofit... if only Americans would learn to wash, rather than wipe... ewwwww.
Old 03-14-20, 07:43 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Use tree leaves or tree bark like in the old days.
Old 03-14-20, 08:28 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Use tree leaves or tree bark like in the old days.
Watch for poison ivy/oak. YIKES
Old 03-14-20, 08:44 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Old 03-14-20, 08:52 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 107 Posts
Yeah this toilet paper thing is ridiculous. If you're stuck at home for weeks why not use your shower and a wash cloth? If we ever buy a home we're getting a bidet or something, using just TP is super gross.

I reflected to my wife that if I felt the need to hoard months of goods; I'd probably buy a rifle, water filter, fishing gear, and vegetable seeds. Not TP, bottled water and small bottles of hand sanitizer
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-14-20, 09:31 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

I ate all you’re TP and I’m hiding in this cocoon away from you crazy humans.

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-14-20, 09:44 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Just what you tree-hugging, toilet paper saving fanatics need:
You don’t have to be a ‘tree-hugger’ to use a bidet…it’s about personal hygiene. I’ve used one my whole life. Also the water use is trivial compared to how much water is used to produce toilet paper and then the trees needed too for those who do care about the environment, ‘tree-hugger’/fanatic or not.
Old 03-14-20, 09:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11490 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 725 Posts
I don't react to poison oak, at least on the hands.

Stinging Nettles?
Old 03-14-20, 10:35 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 31 Posts
Forget TP, our Warrenton Costco got cleaned out yesterday of: Bread, canned food, PB, etc. and most food that has a remotely longer shelf life.

Plenty of gas LOL.
Old 03-14-20, 10:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

I give it to mice to build nests with.

You can buy enough canned food for a month in a hand basket. TP comes in huge packages, so it's more conspicuous when people buy it, and when it's missing from the shelves.
Old 03-14-20, 10:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

I don't react to poison oak, at least on the hands.

Stinging Nettles?
My grandmother never reacted to poison ivy, immune her whole life. She'd pull it out of her property with bare hands. But the immunity wore off in old age, before the practice did.
Old 03-14-20, 11:01 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 156 Posts
They're ruining my routine. I buy groceries Saturday mornings. To avoid the crowds. That didn't work out this morning. The produce aisle was normal.

Funny thing yesterday, the deli said I couldn't refill my cup. They wanted me to ask for a new cup before refilling. Rarely need a refill anyway.

BTW: TP gone, one roll of paper towels left at the grocery store. I think I got enuff to get thru the panic. Enough washrags and cloth towels if not. Read somewhere the Romans used sponges. In civilized society you were expected to clean and replace the sponge for the next person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.